LG 55UB820V Any opinions?

palace

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at 4k TV's recently and this one is £200 cheaper than John lewis and Currys for the 55 inch version from Pixmania.I know it does not come with the 5 year guarantee but I cannot find peoples opinions anywhere on the net.Is this an older model that does not have the Netflix updates for example.

It's a european model and the tv won't have hd tuners for british broadcast, my advice is to avoid.

Iv just bought it 999 from currys it has uk freeview hd built in 900hz motion rate but no 3d, and it's not webos although the std smart tv stuff is fine, iv calibrated it and am getting some pretty good upscaled hd results from it, the pq is amazing with 4k demos so all in all a bargain and I'm quite impressed, it's newer than the 850 model too and it does have Netflix 4k on it.

Last edited:
this is £799 @ currys with the code black200 is it worth the money ? do you know what it's like with gaming ?

I'd say yes it's worth the money now it's calibrated can't fault the picture, it was worth the 999 I paid so definitely worth 799, as long as you don't want 3d, I'm running an xbox one through it and it looks great, couldn't tell you response times in MS but iv not experienced anything that's detrimental to gaming

I'm also considering this, seems a great price. My 1080p samsung plasma isn't old at all but I just bought a 4k camera so would be nice to watch some footage back natively.

The 2 big worries for me are lag time when playing xbox one - Gazilla74... really happy to read you havent experienced anything bad. Is there anything noticable at all?

and also the fact that it's LED.. I just hate that overly punchy sting your eyes type picture I usually see from them compared to plasma...

Hmm.. somebody decide for me?

wow... "The LG 49UB850V is not only the worst 4K TV we’ve tested, it’s also one of the worst-performing televisions we’ve reviewed to date in terms of image quality"

Ok that's that decided. I'll stay home in the warm today. Thanks videoquest

The 820 was released after the 850 can say iv noticed none of the screen issues people have experienced with the 850 calibrated correctly you don't get that sting ur eyes pop, even the motion seems natural and 4k images just blow ur mind, it also has 3hdmi ports which all support 4k60 where as the 850 only had 1, also if you read on the reviews the 850 received firmware updates that basically sort the issues that plagued it early on so judge with ur own eyes in store if you can and ask for a demo of 4k material you won't be disappointed:)

I'm stuck between this & the non 4K TV's (55W829BBU or UE55H6700).

The lack of reviews on the 4k is putting me off, plus the fact I play a lot of FPS via the Xbox One on the TV, so it needs to have a low input lag.

I can't decide if it's worth getting this for £799 from PC world or am I just going for it because it's 4K?? The lack of reviews is putting me off too.

They also have the Samsung UE55H6400 at £649 although that's obviously not 4K it has good reviews.

Which one should I get? Will I be kicking myself in a years time for now spending the extra £150 for 4k??

i'm waiting for you to decide to buy it, buy it, get it home, thoroughly test it, report back here so i can then buy it before the deal ends.. is that too much to ask??

i'm waiting for you to decide to buy it, buy it, get it home, thoroughly test it, report back here so i can then buy it before the deal ends.. is that too much to ask??

Haha seeing as I'm stuck at work at the moment and I was going to order it online.... yes! :)

damn it. I just love the look of plasma too much to risk making the jump I think. It's not the 4k thing thats worrying me or even the lag for gaming/sports.. it's just that nasty LED picture compared to my nice slightly smoother, more film like, less vibrant plasma picture!

damn it. I just love the look of plasma too much to risk making the jump I think. It's not the 4k thing thats worrying me or even the lag for gaming/sports.. it's just that nasty LED picture compared to my nice slightly smoother, more film like, less vibrant plasma picture!

Hmmm it's a tough call. I just don't know if I should fork out the extra just because it's 4k when I could get the Samsung for £150 less and it may be a better TV in all aspects other than the 4k? Not sure what to do!

which 1080p samsung were you comparing? I'm sure I saw a 50" samsung plasma for £599 down from £899 at 2am on the currys site, but i was drowsy and thought i'd leave it til the morning.. I would certainl consider a plasma for that price

Currys/PC World have the Samsung UE55H6400 which you can get for £649 with the discount code. Seems pretty good. Not sure about the stand though but I think I could live with that (or wall mount it)...

So you would go for the 4K one then for the extra £150? I see you were looking at it earlier but you were put off by the review of the older/smaller model?

I went from a Samsung plasma to the 820 I preferred plasma to led/lcd but I'm impressed with the image quality I'm getting off this maybe the 1080 to 4k upscaling helps, with some easy calibration iv achieved what I think are fantastic results I can post my settings if any of you get the tv

In terms of gaming you're not gonna get amazing response times like you would on a gaming monitor but as long as it's adequate for ur gaming needs that's all that matters but everyone differs on that front, having played cod advanced warfare a lot I find the response rate fine for online fps

That's interesting thanks. I only use for occasional gaming (currently PS3) but may be looking to upgrade sometime in the future.

image.jpg

This was taken last night I'll post some better pics

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom