• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question LG 55SK8500 or Sony 49XF9005?

maverick1103

Hi all,

So has the title states which would go for between the two?

I've narrowed my choices down to these two, my budget was originally £650 but I've now upped it to MAX £850!

My current TV an LG49UB850V is nearly 5 years old and was given to me by my Dad when he upgraded to the LG65OLEDC7 18 months ago, it's been decent but I'm looking for something better now, within my budget.

I'm aware I'm not going to get great HDR but whatever I get from HDR is going to be better than what I've got now, or lack of because my TV is not HDR compliant.

I mainly watch Netflix, sports through my Xbox One S using Sky Go, the odd blu ray film through and occasionally game.

I wanted to stick with a 49 inch TV and was aiming to get the Sony 49XF9005 which I can get from Richer Sounds for £820 on offer, however, I've seen the LG 55inch for £799 in Curry's at its turned my eye now. I can't afford £999 for the 55 inch Sony so it really is between the two.

Anyone able to provide advice.

T.I.A

Dodgexander

If you don't need wide viewing angles there is no need to go for the LG really. The Sony has far better picture quality in all areas and comes with decent HDR. By comparison the LG has better viewing angles and a better smart platform but really falls short with poor HDR performance, poorer screen uniformity and poor HDR.

Particularly you mention you watch sport and play a HDR games console. That makes the Sony an even better option due to its good motion and decent HDR compared to the LG.

If you buy refurbished you may find the 55" XF9005 in the Sony centre direct website close to your budget.

The XF9005 is being carried over to next years ranges (2019-20) so it won't be out of stock any time soon, gives you time to save up or look for the right deal to come along on the larger version.

At 55" there is also a new XG95 coming out which may mean the 55" XF9005 will drop further.

Last edited:

maverick1103

If you don't need wide viewing angles there is no need to go for the LG really. The Sony has far better picture quality in all areas and comes with decent HDR. By comparison the LG has better viewing angles and a better smart platform but really falls short with poor HDR performance, poorer screen uniformity and poor HDR.

Particularly you mention you watch sport and play a HDR games console. That makes the Sony an even better option due to its good motion and decent HDR compared to the LG.

If you buy refurbished you may find the 55" XF9005 in the Sony centre direct website close to your budget.

The XF9005 is being carried over to next years ranges (2019-20) so it won't be out of stock any time soon, gives you time to save up or look for the right deal to come along on the larger version.

At 55" there is also a new XG95 coming out which may mean the 55" XF9005 will drop further.

Thanks for the reply.

Is the Sony that much better than LG for motion? Is that down to the X-Motion? HDR is what I'm looking for so it's looking likely I'll get the Sony.

The only thing that's putting me off the Sony is the clunky Android OS, but I'm not impatient so reckon I'll be fine with it.

If I can stretch to £999 I'll get the 55" but as it stands I'll probably get the 49" model.

Dodgexander

Is the Sony that much better than LG for motion?
Both TVs come with 120hz panels and are capable of the same motion features but Sony's implementation of it is much better, X-Motion clarity is definitely an improvement but its not the only reason.

Both TVs will be good with motion, but the Sony has the edge. That coupled with better HDR makes it a better overall option.

Only time LG would be better for you is if you need wide vieiwng angles and cannot for whatever reason go for an OLED.

maverick1103

Both TVs come with 120hz panels and are capable of the same motion features but Sony's implementation of it is much better, X-Motion clarity is definitely an improvement but its not the only reason.

Both TVs will be good with motion, but the Sony has the edge. That coupled with better HDR makes it a better overall option.

Only time LG would be better for you is if you need wide vieiwng angles and cannot for whatever reason go for an OLED.

I've been reading that Sony's implementation is much better than LG's.

I don't need the wide viewing angles as I'm nearly head on.

I think I will pop down to my local currys after work to measure the 55" XF9005 stand as I currently have a Canton DM75 soundbase and if I can stretch financially to the bigger screen for £999 I need to ensure it can fit on my soundbase! I've read that you can reverse the legs but I don't know if that will make it less stable.

One other TV I've seen is the Samsung QLED Q7/Q8 models, with the Q7 being a similar price to the Sony, would you recommend a QLED over the XF9005?

Lastly I'm not sure to hold fire for a week to see if any TV's come down in price for Easter...

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
The Q8DN is the only comparable QLED but it’s £300 more than the Sony.

Don’t fret about legs, you can get universal stands that attach to the tv via the vesa holes.

maverick1103

The Q8DN is the only comparable QLED but it’s £300 more than the Sony.

Don’t fret about legs, you can get universal stands that attach to the tv via the vesa holes.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok I've just seen the universal stands on Amazon so yes I'm not fretting now.

To throw a spanner in the works I've just seen the LG OLED55B8SLC on Richer Sounds for £1,139 with £75 off....now I don't know what to do!!!! My Dad has the 65" C7 and it's amazing, not just the size but watching HDR content is amazing!

If you were in my shoes, considering I started off at £650 and was prepared to up it to £1000 for the 55" XF9005 would you push an extra £65 for an OLED??

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Yes, I’d push for an oled at that price difference. And I think it comes with a central stand so isn’t all that more all accounted for.

maverick1103

Yes, I’d push for an oled at that price difference. And I think it comes with a central stand so isn’t all that more all accounted for.

Yes good point, £20/30 for a central stand means I'm looking at an extra £35 for an OLED.

More reading to do now! Thanks for the advice!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom