Bargain LG 55SK8100PLA - £520 - Bargain?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Tanly, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Tanly

Tanly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Everyone,

Looking for a TV for personal use - mostly streaming (Netflix) and Gaming (Switch + PS4 Pro). I have the opportunity to purchase a new LG 55SK8100PLA for £520. Good value for money or is there better image quality to be had from elsewhere for the £500 - £600 price bracket? Reviews on this unit seem mixed...

Cheers,
    Tanly

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,190
    Which panel type should I choose for my TV? - find out what type of panel you want from a TV first, the LG is using IPS.

Once you have found prefer panel, best value models are listed in the guide here: My best value TVs, 2018-2019 Edition

Aside from panel, the LG is a decent TV with good smart TV and motion but perhaps if you want a VA panel instead the Samsung NU8000 or Hisense U7A is a better buy.

3. Tanly

Tanly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your help Dodgexander. The wider viewing angles of the IPS would come in handy with our current seating arrangement... but to be honest my preference would be VA image quality. However, the Samsung 55NU8000 retails for around £748.00 and although the Hisense U7A can be had for £509.00 on Amazon, I don't really trust the brand. Plus, I’m quite taken with the LG magic remote and WebOS.

So... is the Samsung picture quality really worth an extra £228?

4. Tanly

Tanly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Update!

Found the Samsung at a cheaper price point:

LG 55SK8100PLA (£520) vs. Samsung UE55NU8000 (£599)

Decisions decisions! Going to try and find an NU8000 tomorrow to judge the quality for myself. How bad are the viewing angles and how much better is the Samsung for picture quality and gaming? What would be your personal choice? I just want a really good all round TV with a bit of impact...

How bad is local dimming on these two sets? I've read the Samsung is poor in this regard, something to worry about?

The LG supports Dolby Vision but the Samsung does not? Which offers the best HDR?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,190
    Viewing angles - you stated they are important, do not expect a VA panel to have good viewing angles, they look washed out to the side. Some people find this more acceptable than others. If the main viewing position is head on and the secondary ones are used less often, it is not as much of an issue. You may not get the best idea in the store with viewing angles..in fact you shouldn't just in shop conditions at all which TV is better as they will be set up completely wrong and shown with different content and different lighting to at home.

Gaming - I saw you mentioned the PS4 pro, for your uses the Samsung has the edge in this area if you want to be able to use motion interpolation in games without adding extra input lag. Otherwise both TVs have low input lag.

Local dimming - neither TV has local dimming that works well, they do not reach the price point of the first LCDs to have local dimming that is beneficial. The LG is not better than the Samsung in this respect.

HDR - Neither TVs are good HDR performers because they lack fundamentals that constitute to good HDR, they both have the ability to display more colours than usual but neither TV has a high peak brightness and neither has good enough local dimming to separate the bright HDR highlights apart from the dark areas in the picture. Therefore using HDR on either TV you may be disappointed. It can vary from source to source though, typically games will be more of an issue than some TV shows as they are mastered at higher brightness levels. If you care only about which is the better out of only these two TVs with HDR, the Samsung will have the edge as at least with a VA panel its native contrast level is quite a bit better.

Dolby Vision (LG) vs HDR10+ (Samsung) - pointless really to discuss this when both TVs are not going to be good at HDR anyway. Dolby Vision is more useful right now but who knows if that will always be the case?

For HDR to be good, try to consider raising your budget to the Sony XF9005 minimum or even better, the LG B8 OLED.

My personal choice between the two? I would go with the Samsung unless I knew that wide viewing angles were really important.

6. Analysis

Analysis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Can I ask where you found that price for the 55NU8000, cheapest I've found is £709 currently, it was listed at £649 but now it's out of stock.

That price is very good indeed and shows clearance pricing has now started as always at this time of the year:

General Buying Tips