• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG 55LB7200 global dimming Issue

moparbob

Novice Member
Has anybody figured out LG's global dimming. It really sucks.

Here is my problem. It is kind of hard to see but you see when I turn the channel it dims the mini guide thing you can really see it half way through the video. Also if there is nothing on the screen just very black it turns the screen off. I have all the setting right. Energy savings mode off and I even turned off local dimming and it still does it.

It is really bad in the opening on Star Trek TNG. Dark space gets really dark then when Enterprise comes across the screen it gets really bright and the when it just shows space goes really dark.

Star Trek I turned local dimming off. I have it calibrated in ISF1

jono t

Established Member
Have you tried using an other picture setting , sometimes expert 1, 2 and cinema may have auto dimming set as standard, try standard picture mode and see if this stops the auto dimming, you could also try game mode. hope this helps. jono.

moparbob

Novice Member
I tried everything, PC mode works but not on Comcast DVR and when playing a movie because it goes to 24Hz and PC mode is only for 60Hz.

Thanks

darklight

Prominent Member
Sounds like the Ad. Contrast Controller:mad:.

I bought an LG 46LA860 last year and had similar issues with films and such and it turned out it was the Advanced Contrast Control (think that's the term), which on that model can't be switched off, only to a Low setting, which still means it causes the up & down of contrast. Especially with a strong central bright image. Look at it in films with lots of candle light or even the Star Trek you mentioned, or even bright titles on a black background:mad:

I'm not sure if its the same on your model, but from some of the research I did at the time it looks like it's a standard approach LG applies. In the end I returned the modal (after I tried a replacement to confirm it wasn't a fault)and bought a Sony. Shame really as it was a great TV apart from that.

nenito2k

Established Member
@moparbob don't wanna sound like an ass....but i probably will: here goes !

WHY on earth do you buy stuff without waiting for reviews ??? i can't for the life of me understand people that do that !
Now just live with the set...it is your fault dude....or return it and wait for all 2014 tv reviews from all sites !

moparbob

Novice Member
@moparbob don't wanna sound like an ass....but i probably will: here goes !

WHY on earth do you buy stuff without waiting for reviews ??? i can't for the life of me understand people that do that !
Now just live with the set...it is your fault dude....or return it and wait for all 2014 tv reviews from all sites !

Where do you think the reviews come from dickhole!! You think they just pop out of thin air?

The TV is awesome and I love it. I am just looking for info on this global dimming issue. I think this problem has been around a few years and I am looking for a way to turn it off or if other people are having the same problem.

jono t

Established Member
Hi moparbob, I had a Phillips lcd many years ago and it did the same thing ,would brighten and darken on all scenes, I had to go in to the service menu to turn it of.

Gonzoid

Standard Member
Two days ago I purchased the LG LB 670 (This is a European Serial number) 50" LED TV. Over the past 48 hours I too had noticed the global dimming. The effect was so off putting that I searched the forums for a solution only to discover that there didn't seem to be one. That's how I ended up here. I turned off local dimming and all of the extra settings but nothing made a difference. I was just about to pack the TV into it's box and return it to the retailer when I noticed one more setting. This setting has two options although it cannot be turned off.

I suppose it will depend on what model of TV you have but this is what worked for me.

1. Go to Settings - Picture Mode and set it to Expert. If you do not have this option you could try using the standard mode but I haven't tested this.

2. Go to Settings - Picture Adjust - Picture Options and set Black Level to High. (The screen may appear more washed out at this point but you can adjust all the settings in the next step). It would appear that having the black level set to low invokes the global dimming that is causing all of the problems.

3. Go back and re-adjust your brightness, contrast, backlight and colour settings.

4. It should all be working perfectly now.

My LG TV is a 2014 model so I have no idea if the settings menu in other models has the same structure or options.

Since doing all the above and in addition turning off all of the gimmicks such as edge control and local dimming, I now have a very good image with full blacks, good contrast and colour and no screen dimming.

Hope this helps and I'd like to know if it worked for you.

moparbob

Novice Member
Yeah, I seen that on the other forums and I tried it and does work. I wonder by switching it to High will mess up the picture quality even if you adjust it afterwards.

Gonzoid

Standard Member
I just went back into the settings and adjusted the brightness, contrast, colour balance, backlight and sharpness until I got a realistic image. I have to say I'm a photographer by profession and do not like any of the presets that come with the LG and indeed most modern TVs. They're mostly over saturated with far too much contrast. This is done to make the image "pop" but fails to give you the image that the director/cinematographer intended. Basically I have turned off all of the gimmicks such as micro dimming, edge sharpness etc and worked on getting a natural image. I'm pleased with it now but a natural image probably doesn't suit the majority of TV watchers Basically most people don't have a clue what a good image looks like.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom