• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG 55la660v vs 55la620v difference?

MrMav11

Prominent Member
The LG 55la660v is in currys for £899, the LG 55la620v is in John Lewis for £899 does anyone know the difference?

Had a demo in currys and although was thinking of a Samsung H6400, was impressed by the LG. I know it's last years model but any good in general?

Like the differing 3D modes, dual play or something whereby can watch split screen with 2 different views, need to investigate this.

I'd rather if go for this go for JL for 5 year warranty but unsure of difference between 660v and 620v.

Anyone any info?
Thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
The 660 is the higher spec, higher motion clarity figure, processing needed for the 3D, local dimming to reduce clouding vs edgelit on the 620 (which is now £920 on JL.com)

690 much slimmer too, better audio. Can compare here
LG Compare | LG Electronics UK

The even higher up 690 might be worth a look, £100 more but 5 year warranty. Think the main difference is a fancy remote
LG 55LA690V | 55 inch 3D LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

Be plenty of owner feedback on these in the main LCD forum

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Thanks for that, the compare tool on LG is quite good (once found it!).

Seems the 620 as you say is lower motion 200 to 400 on 620v, don't get a motion remote with 620v either, or dimming (does this work?)

Haven't found if these sets are edge lit or back lit?

Using the LG compare tool, I can't find any difference between the 660v and 690v though, so what's worth the extra £100 (discounting the 5 yr warranty I mean).

Thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
Local dimming normally means back lit, not edge. Also says 620 is just led rather than cinema screen or similar

Magic remote thingy, if you select highlight difference you can see. I'd pay the extra for warranty, not that I'd ever buy an LG TV

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Local dimming normally means back lit, not edge. Also says 620 is just led rather than cinema screen or similar

Magic remote thingy, if you select highlight difference you can see. I'd pay the extra for warranty, not that I'd ever buy an LG TV
Oh so the 660v might be back lit then over edge lit on 630v (which, I'm still learning, is better to have back lit.

I've highlighted differences yeh, still some things are vague, what is the "cinema screen" branding? Marketing term?

Can I ask why you'd never buy a LG? I've never had a big screen LG, I'm just happy to go for whatever deal is best tbh, bad experience with LG? They are rubbish?

Thanks

vickster

Distinguished Member
They look cheap and seem to suffer oodles of issues reading on here! Just a brand preference thing as a result

MrMav11

Prominent Member
They look cheap and seem to suffer oodles of issues reading on here! Just a brand preference thing as a result
Oh dear, not sure on the look cheap, seem to look fine the one I seen in currys, but worried on the problems, haven't read enough on here for description. So they are renowned for problems? Will defo need a 5 year warranty then, and currys is a cost option at £250 for the 660v, whereas JL is the 620v....

megadeth uk

Prominent Member
Yip for a currys warranty of 5 years for a TV between £751 to £1000 is £249. Just trying to compare it to JL or richer sounds that's all
No worries mate, I just deleted that post as someone else had linked that offer, my mistake for not reading everything. Richer sounds and John Lewis usually have the better warranties, if you have decided on an lg try and leave the 620 alone, I was looking at passive 3d tv's for months before settling on a sony and all the 620's I saw had bad dse, I did see a lot too,lol.

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Well I think the 620 is out now as I'm finding out, no motion controller, lower motion speed.

I haven't decided definitely on an LG, just going on what I've seen, I'd prefer a Samsung as that's what have at mo tbh and been fine. Trouble is I'm not convinced on the Active 3D (although really won't use much tbh).

What Sony did you get? I want decent smart TV stuff and Samsung and LG seem to be best?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Panasonic, just added link while you were posting

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Have you considered the 55et61 from John Lewis, think it's £900 with warranty. Just so much better looking than an LG IMO

Buy Panasonic Viera TX-L55ET61B LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 55" with Freeview HD and 2x 3D Glasses online at John Lewis
Panasonic, just added link while you were posting
Thanks
Brief look seems to tick most of the boxes what I want, DLNA, smart TV, USB, passive not sure on what Panasonic like (although I'm not with LG either!)

Just looks like an ordinary remote (like the LG motion one). Just wish JL had a better LG model than 620v, as going to need a 5 year warranty me thinks.

vickster

Distinguished Member
They probably did, remember these tvs came out over a year ago, production stopped in January and now stock is being cleared and the new ones coming in. Why they are about 30% or more below their RRP too :)

Panasonic use the same panels as LG, just everything else just looks so much better to me. LG are the budget brand of the big 4, although I think better than they were but I still wouldn't have one

megadeth uk

Prominent Member
Well I think the 620 is out now as I'm finding out, no motion controller, lower motion speed.

I haven't decided definitely on an LG, just going on what I've seen, I'd prefer a Samsung as that's what have at mo tbh and been fine. Trouble is I'm not convinced on the Active 3D (although really won't use much tbh).

What Sony did you get? I want decent smart TV stuff and Samsung and LG seem to be best?
As vickster has just pointed out the panasonic a do passive too, seem to be better than the lg. There is a new samsung active set which can be had for 699.00 48eh6400, reduced from 999.00. The sony I got would be too small for you, it's the 42w829 which is passive but uses a va panel. The bigger brother is active, 50w829. Active can look better, sharper as it's full hd but you can get more ghosting, crosstalk and sometimes the glasses don't agree with everyone. Passive is more comfortable, better suited to casual, family viewing, good for gaming longer periods too. The et61 vickster linked too seems a good deal. I'm not a big fan of ips panels though as I watch in a dark room.

vickster

Distinguished Member
The sony 47w805 was decent and passive. Don't know if you can still get one however, especially with decent warranty. Look at Sevenoaks hi fi

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Thanks again, think I'm decided on passive (can't imagine will use too much 3D tbh but got to have it this time surely!).

Also if I can fit think I want biggest can, so probably 55" as physically not much bigger than my current 40"!!

vickster

Distinguished Member
There was 55w905 but active and rather more cash

Enjoy your new tv and do not go looking for faults under any circumstances. No tv is perfect

vickster

Distinguished Member
They'll all be whining about their DSE, blur, clouding, grey blacks etc ;) Have fun :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom