LG 55EG920V 4K HDR OLED

having trouble getting the TV to output sound via the optical out, tried the single and simultaneous options and nothing so anyone have a clue with that one please?

updated the software and it is tons quicker than what came with it (3.10.?). Watched the first three episodes of Mad Dogs in HDR and it's the best yet and on par with the Exodus demo

attached in order are 5,4,3% slides (2% wasn't visible) and 100% white screen

have to admit the yellow is bothering me while browsing but the slides are way better than the 950V so it's hard to weigh up

thoughts?

EDIT: looking at other people's slides it's clear this is a very bad panel, I'll be exchanging it

Attachments

• IMG_20160206_1810197_rewind[1].jpg
    IMG_20160206_1810197_rewind[1].jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20160206_1816004_rewind[1].jpg
    IMG_20160206_1816004_rewind[1].jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20160206_1817149_rewind[1].jpg
    IMG_20160206_1817149_rewind[1].jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20160206_1814578_rewind[1].jpg
    IMG_20160206_1814578_rewind[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
thoughts?

EDIT: looking at other people's slides it's clear this is a very bad panel, I'll be exchanging it

The slides if anything look better than my 920, but I don't see the banding or vignetting at all when watching real programming, even watching dark scenes. I have no idea if my settings are "crushing blacks", but the picture looks great to me. Nevertheless its interesting to read how different people seem more or less sensitive to certain issues.

For me the one problem which comes and goes (and might be the source) is some kind of micro-judder/stutter, but I've not heard hardly anyone else mentioning this.

The slides if anything look better than my 920, but I don't see the banding or vignetting at all when watching real programming, even watching dark scenes. I have no idea if my settings are "crushing blacks", but the picture looks great to me. Nevertheless its interesting to read how different people seem more or less sensitive to certain issues.

For me the one problem which comes and goes (and might be the source) is some kind of micro-judder/stutter, but I've not heard hardly anyone else mentioning this.

Never seen any stutter on an OLED period, I would get that checked.

I can live with some vignetting but it's the yellow staining that actually bothers me, anyone who likes a game of hockey will get it. It's the price to pay for near-perfection right now

moving forward, we should know any day now whether any issues have been fixed/improved or worsened. Has anyone else thought about the potential for these
new significantly brighter sets having an effect on black level - keeping in mind that when HDR is active you can't control your picture. Interesting

Never seen any stutter on an OLED period, I would get that checked.

I can live with some vignetting but it's the yellow staining that actually bothers me, anyone who likes a game of hockey will get it. It's the price to pay for near-perfection right now

moving forward, we should know any day now whether any issues have been fixed/improved or worsened. Has anyone else thought about the potential for these
new significantly brighter sets having an effect on black level - keeping in mind that when HDR is active you can't control your picture. Interesting

I am with you regarding the yellow hue. I see it when i'm using google chrome mainly on my HTPC. to be honest i haven't really seen it other than that but its the only true negative issue i have with the TV.

Have you played destiny yet? if so what setting is your tv? I put mine on PC due to lagging issues and would like to know if other sets are similar.

I am with you regarding the yellow hue. I see it when i'm using google chrome mainly on my HTPC. to be honest i haven't really seen it other than that but its the only true negative issue i have with the TV.

Have you played destiny yet? if so what setting is your tv? I put mine on PC due to lagging issues and would like to know if other sets are similar.

it is a real bother while browsing. Funny you mention Destiny, it came with the original Destiny 1 disc and a code to put in for TK but I can't find the TK game anywhere - I checked my library and it's not there so may have to contact Zavvi about it. If I can solve the conundrum I'll give it a go

watched Batman Begins last night and it looks so good - had trouble with some low light scenes but that was about 1% of the movie so I can live with that

if there is any way that the yellow can be near-eliminated I'd love to know. Just as an unrelated HDR test, after having watched some Mad Dogs UHD HDR episodes I wanted to know what the normal 1080p versions looked like so gave it a go - I swore it was feeding me 4K anyway but it was 1080p. Now it wasn't just the power of OLED as it was just as sharp as the UHD HDR versions

LG might just have an amazing up-scaling engine here

it is a real bother while browsing. Funny you mention Destiny, it came with the original Destiny 1 disc and a code to put in for TK but I can't find the TK game anywhere - I checked my library and it's not there so may have to contact Zavvi about it. If I can solve the conundrum I'll give it a go

watched Batman Begins last night and it looks so good - had trouble with some low light scenes but that was about 1% of the movie so I can live with that

if there is any way that the yellow can be near-eliminated I'd love to know. Just as an unrelated HDR test, after having watched some Mad Dogs UHD HDR episodes I wanted to know what the normal 1080p versions looked like so gave it a go - I swore it was feeding me 4K anyway but it was 1080p. Now it wasn't just the power of OLED as it was just as sharp as the UHD HDR versions

LG might just have an amazing up-scaling engine here

I would get it exchanged, seems like tint have not been a big issue on the 920v so its a good chance you will get one without the yellow band. My 920v has no tint at all. It has a bit of vignetting but I would never exchange it for that knowing I have no tint. Tint is way more disturbing than vignetting. Especially since I love to watch football.

it is a real bother while browsing

To be honest I notice it straight away. I find it annoying but I never notice it when watching tv or movies.

has steve withers done best settings for this yet, or what are the best so to speak?

To be honest I notice it straight away. I find it annoying but I never notice it when watching tv or movies.

weird thing is my Samsung Galaxy Tab S's 10.5 inch screen is perfect, it's all white (BUT only when auto brightness and ABL are turned off, I think it's the ABL in the WOLED's that's screwing them up) and trailers look amazing but I appreciate it's not a fair comparison but shows the tech can be dare I say, perfect

I'm in love with this set, just waiting a little more, my budget is between 2000€ to 2500€

After reviewing all possible Samsung models, couldn't find a perfect one.
Of course OLED is not perfect, but is some steps above from what I've read so far.

Thanks for all owners feedback

Just a quick response:

the panel of my faulty 920 (extreme banding) was replaced one week ago. the new one is far far better concerning banding/vignetting/yellow tint. it would say it has almost zero of it...
but i got 3 dead sub-pixels... but you can never see them under normal conditions.

I have just had a new firmware update from lg. Does anyone know what it might have done. I am waiting some sort of freesat capability as I don't have a terrestrial ariel and the sat tuner guide is very basic.

I have just had a new firmware update from lg. Does anyone know what it might have done. I am waiting some sort of freesat capability as I don't have a terrestrial ariel and the sat tuner guide is very basic.
I did the update today, don't know what it's done, but not noticed anything so far. It hasn't screwed mine up.

Just purchased from bestavdeals who are offering it at £2049 with 5 year warranty which is best price I've seen.

Just purchased from bestavdeals who are offering it at £2049 with 5 year warranty which is best price I've seen.
Me too. I figured that's probably as low as it's going to go for a few months. Should be with me on Monday.

Hi, been watching this thread for a while as a potential purchaser and the Best AV Deals price is probably going to result in the order going in. First post though so be gentle but I could do with some helpful owners information on the fixing points.

For reasons of living room space and layout, and to raise the screen enough to get speakers beneath, I need to be able to fix it to this unit - Techlink EC130TVB Audio Visual Furniture Black with Drawer and Mounting Bracket: Amazon.co.uk: TV

I'm struggling to find information on the VESA mounting points but assume it has standard VESA? Does anyone actually have the screen fixed to this unit and can tell me the dimension between bottom of screen and top of unit? Or failing that the distance between the mounting points and the bottom of the screen would be really helpful.

Thank you.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
For reasons of living room space and layout, and to raise the screen enough to get speakers beneath, I need to be able to fix it to this unit - Techlink EC130TVB Audio Visual Furniture Black with Drawer and Mounting Bracket: Amazon.co.uk: TV

I'm struggling to find information on the VESA mounting points but assume it has standard VESA? Does anyone actually have the screen fixed to this unit and can tell me the dimension between bottom of screen and top of unit? Or failing that the distance between the mounting points and the bottom of the screen would be really helpful.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately the 2015 OLEDs don't feature VESA compatible mounting holes. The top holes are 200mm apart, and the bottom ones 195mm apart, with 340mm vertical spacing - wacky, I know. Some folk have mounted their OLED by just using the top 2 holes as these sets are fairly light and then securing the bottom with high-strength velcro, or by rigging up some homemade bracketry. The official LG mount for the 55EG920V is the OTW150 mount. You can download the TV manual from here:

LG Manuals | LG U.K.

@GFAV
The lower mounting points are 5cm over the bottom of the TV.
And my 920 is hanging at the wall with a standard (and cheap) VESA wall mount!
The 5mm difference of the lower mounting points (200mm <-> 195mm) do not matter.

This is my wall mount:

Ricoo Wandhalterung Neigbar R09 Slim Flach Plasma LCD: Amazon.de: Elektronik
@Sebastian81 can you tell me what the dimension is between the upper mounting points and the bottom of the screen? Thanks for your help.

lower mounting points 5cm from the bottom.
upper mounting points +340mm from the lower ones -> = 39 cm from the bottom.
horizontal distance between the upper points 20cm.
horizontal distance between the lower points 19,5cm

lower mounting points 5cm from the bottom.
upper mounting points +340mm from the lower ones -> = 39 cm from the bottom.
horizontal distance between the upper points 20cm.
horizontal distance between the lower points 19,5cm
Thanks, really appreciate it. Need to do some calculations now.

Seriously considering this TV - I would want to use in conjunction with a sonos playbar ( which only connects via optical in) could someone please be kind enough to confirm whether this set passes full 5.1 through the optical out port of the TV? - I know some tv's down mix to stereo only.

Many thanks in advance

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom