Question LG 55EG920 or LG 55EF950

LM10

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone !

After quite the journey, I've narrowed it down to 2 models (which is quite the achievement considering the ridiculous amount of TV models out there ! :D) as the title suggests ! I started wanting a 65 inches but with all the specs and my budget, I realized quite quickly that it wouldn't be possible so i focused on the 55 inches and went through the Samsung and Sony models before discovering the OLED LGs and it appeared to be the new big thing so it helped me to focus on a more limited panel EG920 EG960 EF950 and considering that the 920 has HDMI2.0a that the 960 hasn't, it was just the 2 last contenders.
From what I gathered, it seems that other that the shape of the screen, there is very few differences:
- better sound on the 950
- an extra £500 for the 950

So I've come to wonder if I should go the extra 500 for the 950, I mean I certainly prefer flat screens but I've read that the curve isn't that big and it's not worth to me an extra 500 !

As long as we are speaking about price, do you think with the CES coming, there will be some drops on the prices ? I mean is it smart to buy now ?

Thanks a lot for your attention and looking forward to yours answers. :)

I was looking at these too.. and had assumed and hoped that as Curve screens are meant to provide a more immersive experience, and all the other fluff associated with them, that you would pay a premium.. so given that that the flat panel is more expensive, doesnt this say something!

Flat all the way for me..

My X8509c is going back tomorrow, and a Sony product is never to enter our house again.. so that leaves me with a large empty space on the wall, with no idea on what to fill it with!

Im very tempted by the Oleds, inparticular, the 950, and it is a hig investment for me, but hopefully should provide some level of future proofing.. but I do think now is not the right time to pull the trigger. But, how long do you wait?? Its going to be bad enough watching a 37" spare tele over xmas, but I dont want to buy one now, knowing prices may drop in New Year "sales".. or as I like to call them, "the normal price before they inflate it for the rest of the year", but you can see why I dont work in marketing!

2016 models are unlikely to start to show util April/May/June.. then you will pay a premium for them.. so probably September before they drop a bit.. I simply cant wait that long!

Im also toying with the idea or forgoing 4k and going for the LG 910 HD Oled, as it will more than likely be a good few years before 4k content will be more widely and cheaply available.. so I may just get the best full hd set that I can...

I just cant decide!!!

If you are in no real hurry then I would wait a few weeks and see what comes out of the CES in early January. In the mean time though I would keep an eye on prices of the existing sets including the HD ones such as the HD 910V - which may have fewer problems than the 930V. It is £1400 at Selfridges.

I have decided to adopt the wait and see approach. I have a 50GT60 plasma that I am really happy with so have no urgent need to upgrade. However, when 4k blurays and other content (e.g. 4k Sky??) becomes available then I don't think that I will be able to resist any longer.

Well, if waiting means 6 months I don't think it would do for me, because then it's quite the vicious circle and I'll never buy any TV. :D

As for the HD issue, I want the "most" futureproof TV so i have to go for the 4K models, I don't plan on forking that kind of cash any time soon. :rotfl:

So you don't know what differences there are between those two models and which one should I take over the other ?

The 920V was supposed to be the budget model bellow the EG960V. Given that it has HDMI 2.0a vs HDMI 2.0 on the 960 though i am not sure what is supposed to be cut down.

Personally of these two I would go for the 950V simply because it is flat and I am wall mounting. I really see the curve as a disadvantage even though the curve on these is quite slight. I have seen the 950 and 960 and been quite impressed. (Although they both seemed to struggle with the near black parts of their demo content - an Ed Sheeran concert.)

This is a great video on curved TVs:
http://youtu.be/ZHjsKHKKnw0

I would not normally advise waiting -as you say then you would never buy a set at all, as there is always something new within 6 months. I was only suggesting that if there is no immediate hurry then why not wait the 4 weeks until the CES in early Jan 2016 and see what is announced there. I am not saying wait for any new models announced there which may not come out for months - it is more to see if anything significant is announced. For example, suppose they show new 4k Bluray players and these support Dolby Vision HDR. No current TV supports this type of HDR - although some current TVs (including the 920 and 950 I believe) do support the other HDR format used by Netflix and Amazon. If you plan on using your new TV for a few years how happy would you be buying knowing that it did not support something significant for 4k bluray?

If nothing is announced that would impact your purchase decision then simply go ahead and buy from the current LG range.

Yeah they kind of messed up their product marketing on those 2 models, it seems that they had it all wrong, should have put the HDMI2.0a on the 960 but hey I'm not complaining if I can have a better TV for a lower price. :D I think that the 960 has a slightly better sound system but it's a non-issue really because either you don't care much about audio or you care and go for a sound system. :rotfl:

Yeah I understand, I'm more inclined to chose the flat version because I think that curved TV are just a gadget and don't see any real use (immersion they said:facepalm:). I am old-fashioned I guess and the video sums it up perfectly. The question remaining is I am ready to pay for my principles (always easier to just talk about those rather than act isn't it ? :D)

I've been meaning to ask about those near black parts issues, isn't OLED supposed to bring a much better contrast and infinite darks (or something like that :D) and is it really a hindrance for the viewer ? Because it kind of got me worried, and I am dreading to go back looking for another TV after all the time it took me to come up with those two last contenders.

I see your point about the cautious wait and I would agree that it falls under good sense. I'm not really in a hurry but I have a tendency of be indecisive and procrastinating so giving me the option of waiting is kind of lethal here.:rotfl:
At the risk of appearing a total ignorant on the matter (which I am) this Dolby vision HDR is a really improvement of the existing HDR ? And also couldn't be made available but firmware upgrade, I mean does the telly has to be manufactured to run it ?

And I would like to thank you for the time you took to write this detailed post !! :thumbsup:

Oh boy !! It seems to be quite the mess. It's like they want to sell less... I've read both threads and it's still unclear to me : seeing how some TVs do HDR and that this Dolby Vision HDR is just a different format, isn't "just" a software issue ?

Back to the near black issues, some thoughts as to how bad it actually is ?

I must confess that my procrastinator side wins my upgrade side by a landslide. :D

Sorry for the double post !

I went to peruse a bit the dedicated threads of those two models and from what I've read, I am quite astonished by all the bad reviews and image problems.... It seems that the OLED technology is not ready which is quite contradictory to the glowing reviews of those sets.. Any help to clear this fog of negativity ? :D

A little up ? :blush:

I've just bought a 55" EF950; it's superb. I've watched a fair few things on it, and it's leaps and bounds better than the Panasonic Plasma (GT30) that it replaced.

I've trained myself to ignore the nitpicking thread(s) about this set, and make the judgement for myself. I won't be sending mine back any time soon :)

Yeah i just bought the 55 EF950 yesterday myself and its stunning. On another level compared to my old LED TV. I even love watching 3D on it which i never thought id be bothered about but it looks that good on this. I was nervous with all the complaining in the owners thread but decided to ignore that and see it for myself and so far its a keeper.

one of the first few things I'll be watching on my OLED (if I go for OLED and I should) are concerts and movies that really show blacks/contrast

Is there any reason to buy the 960v?? it's more expensive and doesn't have hdmi 2.0a. Or is there any other difference with the 920v then the sound quality?

I too have whittled my next tv choice down to the same models.

I am very excited to own an OLED TV, but at the same time, im concious about the 950V being the first flat 4K OLED panel, and what issue's need to be ironed out for the next TV?! im currently running a 2013 55" LG, 55LM760, and i imagine its leaps and bounds better, (i hate the edge bleed you get from the edge lighting) i have alot of movie nights with friends and we watch alot of horror films, so im hoping the OLED will show them Black rather than Grey! but at the same time be bright and vibrate and not dull...

Im also concerned about the input lag on screen refresh rate as a regular console gamer. I've seen that the rates are at 600 with the "clear" mode enabled, but my current TV is 800 with "clear" enabled. however i see regular slowdowns and stuttering whilst gaming and so have no benifit from the high frame rate.. Will this panel suffer the same thing??

Last edited:
It Appears i have found the answer! due to the Self lightning "organic" LED technology used in these tv's there's no refresh rate in the "LEDS" for backlighting or edgelighting, and so there for its super fast.

Response Time Speed
Did you notice that these OLED TVs do not have a Hz rate spec like 120Hz panel or “MotionPlus” or “Clear Motion Rate” or and other response time related technology spec? That's because OLED TVs (like Plasma) do not have a backlight and LCD Panel and as a result have extremely fast response times. LG lists the critical response time (the screens ability to refresh the image on screen) at an incredible 1 microsecond. There is little to no blur with fast action on the screen.

I too have whittled my next tv choice down to the same models.

I am very excited to own an OLED TV, but at the same time, im concious about the 950V being the first flat 4K OLED panel, and what issue's need to be ironed out for the next TV?! im currently running a 2013 55" LG, 55LM760, and i imagine its leaps and bounds better, (i hate the edge bleed you get from the edge lighting) i have alot of movie nights with friends and we watch alot of horror films, so im hoping the OLED will show them Black rather than Grey! but at the same time be bright and vibrate and not dull...

Im also concerned about the input lag on screen refresh rate as a regular console gamer. I've seen that the rates are at 600 with the "clear" mode enabled, but my current TV is 800 with "clear" enabled. however i see regular slowdowns and stuttering whilst gaming and so have no benifit from the high frame rate.. Will this panel suffer the same thing??
At least they've ironed out the main one... the Curve!

I was toying with OLED purchase for past few months, decided to bite the bullet and purchased the 910V (Nov build) yesterday from ME (Euronics reseller), seems to be latest build. It's amazing! it's full HD not 4k; it suits my needs as I don't plan on any upgrades to the net Netflix subscription or (internet upgrade to increase bandwidth), the lack of 4k content as time of purchase is also a big factor, i also mainly play games on ps4 which response time is great in this TV for me in games like Destiny, Witcher FO4. It took a while, but configured the game presets to my liking. Although I don't see why you'd go with the 960 or 950 over the 920 in any situation apart from flat panel wall mounting; i Couldn't be happier with the 910 with same day delivery (midlands only otherwise next day) and cheapest price (was £1299 with 1y on black Friday). Will obviously have to reflect but intend to keep for a while, also came with 5 years free parts and labour manufacturers warranty which is nice: offer due to end start of Feb for smaller retailers .

With the next OLED lineup announced at ces I don't see anything too mind blowing to this years lineup, sounds like they'll be far too much for me to even consider. It's all to do with writing down what you actually need balanced with future proofing, its was close to be between the 910 and 920 but the £1000 wasn't worth justifying . I'd list out your typical TV uses and foreseeable within reseaon and correlate between the models, as above £1000 just didn't worth it. I dont forsee many; if any Full HD OLED sets from LG, as the push for 4k increases, get yours while you can! Hope you come to a decision soon; whichever model you'll be impressed!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom