LG 55EA870V vs 55EC910/930?

JorisS

Hi all

Been googling for more info on the 870V, but just not much coming up. Went in here and picking up some info on it, as it seems to be the same as the 880V but with inbuilt speakers?

To the point: the LG website and some reviews/other sites are giving contradictory information. I actually called LG service twice today and spoke to a technician (different on each occasion) and it became painfully clear that they didn't really have much of a clue themselves... just reading stuff from the homepage?

Anyway, some specific questions:
1. Does the TV run Netcast or WebOS? I've as of yet not opened the box, but from looking at images of netcast and webOS and what I saw them do on the TV in the store (it's a demo-ex) I almost think it looked like WebOS. It says so on some sites. Both technicians told me it's running Netcast though. Technician 2 said that he believed it can be (hardware) upgraded to HDMI 1.4 and WebOS2 though?

2. Do these OLED tv's also use some kind of update frequency?
In the store it was listed as 100Hz, one of the other models I looked at was listed at 50Hz. On their homepage I can't find much, according to the technicians they don't use this terminology anymore?

3. How does this compare to the newer 910V/930V models? I picked this up for about £1420 as a demo-ex, complete with box and everything and the warranty. It was discounted from around £1780. In my mind and reasoning, although being an older generation, it's the 870 which puts it at the top range of the 800-series; I asked the technicians if this means that the panel/image is of superior quality compared to the current (2015) low-end of the range 910V and 930V models, but really didn't get much of a useful answer. They mostly mentioned that technology moves on and therefore newer models = better. Asking about why the price difference between the various models in the same release year they mentioned sound, features... eh?

So what do you guys think/know about this? The 910V can be had for about £1160 in several shops, not a special deal or anything even. The 930V is available for £1260, but this seems to be one shop selling it cheaper than others.

What I like about the 870V is the fact that it's FLAT, not curved. I prefer to have it wall-mounted. But obviously I'm not very thrilled to pay more for an older model if there's not even any advantage in terms of it being higher end of the range, or flat out has inferior technology and image quality. It does come with web cam and - in my case - 2 pairs of 3D glasses and 2 loose glasses which apparently can be mounted onto these (party pack?); according to the homepage it should come with 4 + 2 but this could possibly be sorted by LG, the first technician said. It has the silvery magic remote and comes with wall mount also.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Coming from a KURO KRP-500A which appears to be dying (media box blinking blue LED, tv showing red and blue rectangles then restarts; as of yet, unplugging the media box for a couple of secs then replugging it solves it, but I don't know for how long), OLED is really the only thing that has fascinated me.

I really prefer the flat TV over the curved, and the 870V does look like a premium model in terms of bezel and build quality; I'm just curious how it performs in terms of image quality in comparison to the newer 9x0 models. These are also UHD with 4k support, which the 870V doesn't. That's of no real concern currently though, not much material that uses it.

Cheers in advance for any feedback!
//Joris

Last edited:

babator

AFAIK the picture quality is very similar between the full HD OLED generations, just depends on if you get a good one or not.

There was some kind of slight - but undefeatable - noise reduction applied with the earlier OLED models, and some complaints about tinting. I also seem to vaguely recall @******** mentioning some kind of 50 Hz microjudder fix in EG910V with motion settings of 0/0 - but I might have misunderstood. I think near-black banding and vignetting were always luck of the draw? Also the early models had more complaints about dead subpixels.

The Netcast platform might actually be preferable, if I remember correctly it at least worked fast even if the UI and the smart features were a bit more clumsy than Web OS.

So your flat screen preference is certainly a valid one, and the picture quality should be excellent. However, paying that much about an ex-demo unit with probably thousands of hours of use already... ok, full warranty, but are there any EF950Vs (perhaps ex-demos as well) available around? The cost might not be much more and they do have more future-proofing.

Last edited:

JorisS

AFAIK the picture quality is very similar between the full HD OLED generations, just depends on if you get a good one or not.

There was some kind of slight - but undefeatable - noise reduction applied with the earlier OLED models, and some complaints about tinting. I also seem to vaguely recall @******** mentioning some kind of 50 Hz microjudder fix in EG910V with motion settings of 0/0 - but I might have misunderstood. I think near-black banding and vignetting were always luck of the draw? Also the early models had more complaints about dead subpixels.

The Netcast platform might actually be preferable, if I remember correctly it at least worked fast even if the UI and the smart features were a bit more clumsy than Web OS.

So your flat screen preference is certainly a valid one, and the picture quality should be excellent. However, paying that much about an ex-demo unit with probably thousands of hours of use already... ok, full warranty, but are there any EF950Vs (perhaps ex-demos as well) available around? The cost might not be much more and they do have more future-proofing.

Wow there's some terminology there that gets me confused :) do you know if I can check the # of hours on the unit?

Whay about panel quality, processor and such? There must be some reason for the higher number models to cost so much more than the entry level models?

The 55EF950V is priced at £2400 so that's too much of a step up in price I'm afraid.

craigd

The 55EF950v was/is on sale in Currys for £1799, then £70 off with voucher code. Includes 5 year warranty.

JorisS

The 55EF950v was/is on sale in Currys for £1799, then £70 off with voucher code. Includes 5 year warranty.
Do they ship to Sweden and, if so, does the warranty only go through them (shipping it internationally would be incredibly expensive for us, Swedish mail prices are outrageous!!)

JorisS

Picked up another unit at the same price today, this one brand new. Better bang for the buck I suppose :)

So as I currently have both here, should I compare and see which one is the better or simply keep the new one?

What, specifically, should i look for if doing a comparison? Tint/uniformity, banding, dead pixels... Anything else?
Cheers
//Joris

babator

Picked up another unit at the same price today, this one brand new. Better bang for the buck I suppose :)

So as I currently have both here, should I compare and see which one is the better or simply keep the new one?

What, specifically, should i look for if doing a comparison? Tint/uniformity, banding, dead pixels... Anything else?
Cheers
//Joris
Congrats! I think a new one "should" be better bang for the buck :) You have already listed the main things I know to check for, with the caveat that a brand-new set will take a little while to settle uniformity-wise, while the demo unit is likely to be as good as it will get. And don't despair if the famous 5% grey slide shows some banding in both ;)

JorisS

Congrats! I think a new one "should" be better bang for the buck :) You have already listed the main things I know to check for, with the caveat that a brand-new set will take a little while to settle uniformity-wise, while the demo unit is likely to be as good as it will get. And don't despair if the famous 5% grey slide shows some banding in both ;)

For starters I'm going to have to read up on what banding is exactly :)
I'm going to try and hook up the new unit in parallel with our KURO and see how I like it, hopefully this evening.

Best regards
//Joris

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom