LG 55CX - optical out issue

davidhod

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just bought myself an OLED55CX5LB, superb TV. Surprisingly good sound, for what it is, but I'm having some issues with the optical out which I have connected to an external amp (Naim Uniti). Previously I had a Samsung 48" LED connected with optical and once set to output PCM the sound was working fine, however with the LG I get no audio, in fact the Uniti specifically says 'no signal'. I have tried all combinations of audio output configuration including optical only, AAC, DD, PCM/Auto but none seem to work. Optical cable looks good (red glow) and, before I handed it over to its new owner, quickly retried the Samsung with no issues to prove the cabling and config. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be? (I'd rather not use the 3.5mm out if I can help it.)

Thanks
David

Is the no sound from optical on all sources, internal apps, tuner etc?

seems to be Jay yeah, tried all the usual including freeview/sat, netflix, amazon, Plex

Wasn't an issue on the Samsung :-(

Seen a few articles online of people who have upgraded from similar era models like my previous Samsung to stuff like Samsung Frame who have had same issue with optical out. One guy on another forum asking if people thought latest Samsung & LG models (for example) used similar board architecture and it was a broader problem.

Last edited:
Just bought myself an OLED55CX5LB, superb TV. Surprisingly good sound, for what it is, but I'm having some issues with the optical out which I have connected to an external amp (Naim Uniti).
If the optical SPDIF output isn't working, I suggest you get the TV replaced...

If the optical SPDIF output isn't working, I suggest you get the TV replaced...
Got a ticket open with LG support first and foremost, my hopes aren't high though, thought I'd ask here first. Hoping it's something other than a replacement needed as it took a while to get it hung on the wall and I've since sold my old Samsung, unlikely to get a replacement without being minus a TV for a while........ i suppose its possible the fibre is bent somewhere along the path, will check again

Got a ticket open with LG support first and foremost, my hopes aren't high though, thought I'd ask here first. Hoping it's something other than a replacement needed as it took a while to get it hung on the wall and I've since sold my old Samsung, unlikely to get a replacement without being minus a TV for a while........ i suppose its possible the fibre is bent somewhere along the path, will check again
I have a different but similar problem, my optical connection stopped working all of a sudden, but optical + internal works. In my case I have optical wireless headphones, and I get sound to the headphones with optical + internal and the tv speakers turned all the way down, but no sound to them with just optical selected. Very strange.

oh well, found the issue. Managed to get a bit of time to get the TV down again this weekend, removed all cables and re-seated, with it off the wall, still not working. Then removed the optical right angle adaptor I use and it sprang to life, weird as this worked fine on my old Samsung. Looking a little closer it appears it just doesn't clip in properly to the optical socket on the LG. Reversed things and tried the adaptor into the back of my stereo and it works fine...… Luckily the TV goes back ok even without the right angle adaptor and, even though the optical cable is a little squished, it seems to all work ok.

Thanks all for the advise though

The use of the optical right-angle adaptor should have been mentioned in your original post.
They are known to be a bit flaky.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
HI Jay,

I probably should have yes but, because as it was working fine with my old Samsung and continued to work when plugged into my Hi-Fi, I didn't even twig it was an issue with it mating with the LG. Thanks for the link though @SeeMoreDigital I'll have a look at those.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom