LG 55B8 (OLEDB8SLC) OLED Review & Comments

I’ve got a 200x200 Vesa Mount but I need a 300(w) x 200(h) for my new B8? Don’t want a new mount just an adapter kit, any recommendations please?

Mine also seemed dark and seemed to blow out highlights when set at default or the recommended settings from rtings.

So I dug out my calibration blurays and checked with Black and white pluge patterns on you tube and I've had to lift brightness to 55 and contrast to 92 to attain proper white and black levels with gamma 2.2

Lee

Contrast at 85 for me and brightness at 52

Using those patterns.

Goes to show how different the sets are from one another ...

Contrast at 85 for me and brightness at 52

Using those patterns.

Goes to show how different the sets are from one another ...

Yep, set a friends 55B8PLA up today Brightness 54, Contrast 96.

What oled light setting did you use to set up brightness and contrast?

Last edited:
Yep, set a friends 55B9PLA up today Brightness 54, Contrast 96.

What oled light setting did you use to set up brightness and contrast?

Old b6 was always 50,

Gonna get it pro calibrated I think as the picture is good but a little flat ftom all sources.

Maybe because I am used yo a calibrated picture on the previous oled I had.

Hdr game mode is also all over the place

Looks far too blown out and over saturated using my standard ps4.

I have had to go back to sdr gaming, andimited rgb just yo get it to display a decent back level.

So what do you all think

Decent panel

Attachments

• IMG_20190101_012304.jpg
    IMG_20190101_012304.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20190101_011625.jpg
    IMG_20190101_011625.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_20190101_011931.jpg
    IMG_20190101_011931.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
Rate occasion where the camera makes it look worse than it is

But of a tint to the left in real viewing terms

Slight green push on both sides.

Only had it since Saturday so not had a full screen comp cycle yet.

Didn't really notice in normal viewing unless you look for it.

My old b6 had a yellow tint at the bottom of the screen dead center which I learnt to ignore.

Like I said gonna get it pro calibrated anyway

LG has been busy moving the OLED TV game on but unlike last year, the B8 seems to be pegged back from the rest of the family line-up with the use of a lower grade processor. But does that really impact on the level of performance?
Read the review.

Write your own review for LG OLED55B8SLC

This review would not have been possible without the support of

CramptonMoore.png

If you are thinking about buying a new TV and want to support our reviews, you can give them a call on 01302 365760 or email [email protected] - mention AVForums and ask for Richard to receive excellent pricing and service.

I think there is a minor error in the YouTube review where you stated Voice Control supports ‘Siri’.

Mine also seemed dark and seemed to blow out highlights when set at default or the recommended settings from rtings.

So I dug out my calibration blurays and checked with Black and white pluge patterns on you tube and I've had to lift brightness to 55 and contrast to 92 to attain proper white and black levels with gamma 2.2

Lee

What should be showing on the contrast white one if properly set up? Should as many flashing bars as possible be on show , or only up to the reference white?

I've been offered a discount apparently on the exact set you reviewed.

How many hours did you use the set for and is there any problems with it that I should be made aware of? Thanks.

What should be showing on the contrast white one if properly set up? Should as many flashing bars as possible be on show , or only up to the reference white?

Reference White 235 should be white and not flashing or barely visible.

To the left you should see 234 flashing white/grey.

Anything to the right 236 onwards should be white.

Reference White 235 should be white and not flashing or barely visible.

To the left you should see 234 flashing white/grey.

Anything to the right 236 onwards should be white.

Thanks, I have had to make contrast 98 for it to show the pattern as you described...

That seems a lot don't you think??

Thanks, I have had to make contrast 98 for it to show the pattern as you described...

That seems a lot don't you think??

As ever that level makes it accurate.

But in your home environment that may make the whites too bright and you may want to dial it back a bit. It's your TV and your eyes.

rtings recommend 95 for the B7 and 85 for the C8. Although they say the B8 should be the same as the C8 I think 85 is a bit low and the test patterns seem to agree.

Guys a user on Reddit has set up a petition to get LG to add AirPlay / HomeKit to thiev17/18 TVs

Please sign and show your support, if Samsung & Vizio can do it so can LG with their alpha processors

Software exclusivity of features that can easily be brought to premium-priced hardware is ridiculous. This petition aims to unify the pressure on LG to bring these features to all their recent premium TVs. Please sign and share!

https://www.change.org/p/lg-electro...-2-and-homekit-to-2017-2018-lg-webos-oled-tvs

Just a note on the viewing angle

I have had two of these now an October build and a September build both of which have a coukr shift to green when not viewing dead center.

Now its not terrible, but it is there.

I can't belive I was just unlucky and with the builds being two months apart I would say that likely that other panels may also have this.

It may be something to do with an anti reflection filter but like I said worth looking out for

Bit late to the party, but anyhow have two questions on this device as I strongly consider buying one, and I hope someone here (maybe @Phil Hinton) has the answers:

I know SD quality cannot look great on any UHD panel (blown up 16x!), but still: does this device do a comparably (to other similar priced ones) good job?
Maybe two sub questions:
  • Is there an option in this device to show SD content only HD-upscaled and non-fullscreen (with black borders around it)?
  • Does the C8 model perform noticeably better in this regard?

And second: does it play FLAC encoded music via DLNA? User guide (chapter Playing Music) says it does but in the spec pdf (German version here: https://www.lg.com/de/support/products/documents/OLED55B8LLA.pdf) FLAC codec is *not* listed... So who's right?

Thx
- Mike

Last edited:
Bit late to the party, but anyhow have two questions on this device as I strongly consider buying one, and I hope someone here (maybe @Phil Hinton) has the answers:

I know SD quality cannot look great on any UHD panel (blown up 16x!), but still: does this device do a comparably (to other similar priced ones) good job?
Maybe two sub questions:
  • Is there an option in this device to show SD content only HD-upscaled and non-fullscreen (with black borders around it)?
  • Does the C8 model perform noticeably better in this regard?

And second: does it play FLAC encoded music via DLNA? User guide (chapter Playing Music) says it does but in the spec pdf (German version here: https://www.lg.com/de/support/products/documents/OLED55B8LLA.pdf) FLAC codec is *not* listed... So who's right?

Thx
- Mike

No option to show original resolution as far as I can see.

C8 has a few picture enhancements around colour gradation but it's upscaling capabilities are not visibly different.

My B8 will not do FLAC streaming from my NAS which is disappointing as my QLED in another room can.

Lee

No option to show original resolution as far as I can see.

I thought so. Upscaling only to FHD and then showing a smaller picture with borders might have been a nice alternative to pixelated 4k at full size, but I don't actually know if any TV model out there supports this.

C8 has a few picture enhancements around colour gradation but it's upscaling capabilities are not visibly different.

Good to know, thanks.

My B8 will not do FLAC streaming from my NAS which is disappointing as my QLED in another room can.

Damn. I really hoped it would support FLAC via DLNA. I don't get it why LG won't support a license free codec any music enthusiast would love.

So either I find a different way to play my music in decent quality via my (old but good) AV receiver or I need to find a different TV.
I suppose there are no apps in the LG webOS app store which provide DLNA client functionality by themselves? Like VLC?

Mike

It is a weird anomaly, as your model of LG television can most probably play Flac 'audio only' files via a directly connected USB drive...

Your TV should also be able to play Flac audio if it's muxed within the .MKV container (along with a video stream) from an NAS...

I

I suppose there are no apps in the LG webOS app store which provide DLNA client functionality by themselves? Like VLC?

Mike

I have not come across one although not looked that hard as it's just easier to use the HEOS App on my Denon Receiver and phone.

It is a weird anomaly, as your model of LG television can most probably play Flac 'audio only' files via a directly connected USB drive...

Your TV should also be able to play Flac audio if it's muxed within the .MKV container (along with a video stream) from an NAS...

I have 3 other devices that can stream FLAC in my AV system so no need to spend extra money or do extra work but it's disappointing LG doesn't include support for FLAC via DNLA.

I have 3 other devices that can stream FLAC in my AV system so no need to spend extra money or do extra work but it's disappointing LG doesn't include support for FLAC via DNLA.

I asked LG customer support about FLAC support (because of the discrepancies in their documentation) and they told me that
a) the TV does support playing FLAC files from directly connected devices (USB HDD) and that
b) depending on the DLNA server there might be circumstances under which FLAC files cannot be played when streamed via the network.

And no, they did not tell me which circumstances they're referring to or gave any examples for working or non-working DLNA servers.
Sounds like they're preparing scapegoats in case I'd complain after buying this TV model.

I suppose it works with DLNA servers that are able to recode the FLAC files on the fly but admittedly that's just an otherwise unfounded assumption.

I'll try to continue the conversation with them and report any new information here...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom