LG 55B8 (OLEDB8SLC) OLED Review & Comments

Thanks for the nice review Phil. Blimey, 55'' OLED for £1500. That seems like real value for money and a nice TV for watching ordinary TV and films.

What would you say were the best pre set picture modes for SDR, HDR10 DOLBY VISION etc are? I thought i had it all sorted nicely but last night i was watching The Grand Tour on prime 4K and all the skin tones were fairly green looking. I have only had the 55B8 a week so still making slight adjustments so any help would be really appreciated.

What would you say were the best pre set picture modes for SDR, HDR10 DOLBY VISION etc are? I thought I had it all sorted nicely but last night i was watching The Grand Tour on prime 4K and all the skin tones were fairly green looking. I have only had the 55B8 a week so still making slight adjustments so any help would be really appreciated.

For most viewing conditions you can use ISF Dark Room for SDR and Cinema for HDR, use pluge patterns to set brightness and contrast (they should be very close out of the box). Those are the most accurate modes to the standards. You could also use Dynamic Tone Mapping for HDR10 content, which I really like personally. If you have a brighter room during the day, either adjust the OLED light or a better option is to use ISF Bright Room. Considering the out of the box performance of our long-term C8 and this retail B8, a professional calibrator wouldn't be making many changes to get these out of the box modes perfect. ;)

With the Oleds now all getting 10 out of 10 for black level performance does that mean they are better than last years Oleds, including this one? Thanks.

With the Oleds now all getting 10 out of 10 for black level performance does that mean they are better than last years Oleds, including this one? Thanks.
Yes, but don't just look at the scores in our reviews, you need to read the full thing to get the full details on how good the above black, panel uniformity and so on are like. You can't just look at one area in isolation.

Hi. Is there any reason LG would lock users out of Auto colour gamut in game mode or is it an over sight? You can change it in HDR game material but not SDR.

Wide is over saturating red and yellow amongst others. Really messes up skin tones as well if you play movies off consoles.

For most viewing conditions you can use ISF Dark Room for SDR and Cinema for HDR, use pluge patterns to set brightness and contrast (they should be very close out of the box). Those are the most accurate modes to the standards. You could also use Dynamic Tone Mapping for HDR10 content, which I really like personally. If you have a brighter room during the day, either adjust the OLED light or a better option is to use ISF Bright Room. Considering the out of the box performance of our long-term C8 and this retail B8, a professional calibrator wouldn't be making many changes to get these out of the box modes perfect. ;)
Thanks a lot will give that a go now

Hi all
I’m pretty sure that Vincent suggested the B8 did not have the de contouring feature? The review suggests it does!? Do we know for sure? So apart from slightly better processor on C8 they are pretty much the same? Could be bargains come Black Friday

Yes, but don't just look at the scores in our reviews, you need to read the full thing to get the full details on how good the above black, panel uniformity and so on are like. You can't just look at one area in isolation.
I get the impression from the reviews that if I was to upgrade from an E6 LG Oled I am going to benefit from lower quality pictures too in the black level performance, for example on Sky it sometimes shows graduation quite bad, I think that’s the right word with black levels and I would get a higher quality picture with the newer C8 and E8 especially? And the Panasonic FZ802 looks up to the high quality in black too.

Brilliant review! I’ve been looking at buying a 4K HDR tv for the past year. I’ve went from Oled to LED and back again. On reading this review I’ve purchased the 65 inch version. Have arranged delivery for the 27th.

K
Brilliant review! I’ve been looking at buying a 4K HDR tv for the past year. I’ve went from Oled to LED and back again. On reading this review I’ve purchased the 65 inch version. Have arranged delivery for the 27th.
Kool what made you go back to oled??? I really can't decide the LG b8 or the Sony xf900..

K

Kool what made you go back to oled??? I really can't decide the LG b8 or the Sony xf900..

Apologies for the badly written post. I meant to say that I’ve been so close to buying either an Oled or an LED tv in the past few months then changed my mind. Like you I was looking at the Sony xf900.This will be my first Oled. I’ve always been a Sony LED buyer. The B8 has the full package compared to either the Sony LED or Oled and it comes at a really decent price. Hope you enjoy whatever tv you decide to buy.

Thanks for the nice review Phil. Blimey, 55'' OLED for £1500. That seems like real value for money and a nice TV for watching ordinary TV and films.
How long before LG release an 55" OLED for £999?

Apologies for the badly written post. I meant to say that I’ve been so close to buying either an Oled or an LED tv in the past few months then changed my mind. Like you I was looking at the Sony xf900.This will be my first Oled. I’ve always been a Sony LED buyer. The B8 has the full package compared to either the Sony LED or Oled and it comes at a really decent price. Hope you enjoy whatever tv you decide to buy.
Kool thanks for your response I'm gonna order the lg b8. Had a chance to see with nienal shop lighting and with lights off oled looked superior especially the viewing angles

Im thinking of upgrading from an ageing Pioneer PDP 4280 XD would you say that this a good step up in term of overall picture quality. Currently we tend to watch a lot of content on Sky HD and Netflix. my other current sources are Panasonic Blu-ray and Xbox One ( first edition ) so I understand that these would need to be changed in due course.

Im thinking of upgrading from an ageing Pioneer PDP 4280 XD would you say that this a good step up in term of overall picture quality. Currently we tend to watch a lot of content on Sky HD and Netflix. my other current sources are Panasonic Blu-ray and Xbox One ( first edition ) so I understand that these would need to be changed in due course.
I've had a lx5090 and a krp500 and my e6 oled was a massive upgrade in terms of image quality, so the b8 should be even better still, I don't think it's a purchase you would regret

Emailed Richard yesterday and an almost instant response with £200 off their website 65" price. Can't really fault that

After missing out on the last 65" B7 stock the other week, I think I will be purchasing this set, come Black Friday. I don't expect they'll be much knocked off it (if any), it being a 2018 model, but I've been without a TV since May, so a few more weeks won't hurt. I will be jumping from a 51" Samsung Plasma I bought in 2011 (after a brief 3 weeks with a Sony x900f in August) so It will look even more amazing! My mind is set, just debating now whether to venture onto the owners thread...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom