1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 52SZ8R - Any views yet?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MacReady, Oct 17, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Just been looking at DLP RPTV's at the likes of Currys and Comet (I know, not the best of places but I just wanted to get an idea of what was available before looking in greater depth into models I liked) and the new LG 52" caught my eye. It is £1799 and has good connectivity and spec (two componant, XGA, HDMI etc etc.)

They did not have an HD feed to it just a DLP demo DVD via componant from a Toshiba SD330 (hidden from view beneath the base).

I had a play around with the settings for five or ten minutes and have to admit to being very pleased with the resulting image.

I just wondered if anyone had heard if some of the problems that other LG models have suffered with are also a part of this model or if anyone had taken the plunge and bought this set.

2. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    No one have any experience of this TV at all? Even an extended 'mess around' in store should give some idea of what it is like ( I only had five to ten minutes as I said).

I especially would like to know what an HD feed is like on it.

3. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never heard of it...

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It's not even on the Currys or UK LG site yet but I have found it on the Australian LG site.

linky linky

...can't find anything else out about it though :(

5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I saw the LG in Currys yesterday. It was showing Hi-Def from a PC and it looked spectacular and I mean spectacular! It was a very nice loop about the artic and then some country-side stuff. Blacks looked very good and colour was superb. Certainly the best HD demo on a DLP that I have seen and I've seen most of them. Couldn't see any faults with it at all but if that was it at its best then its best is more than good enough.

In contrast, I saw another one with a composite feed that looked horrendous but then again, who uses composite these days!?
    Paul

6. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I am glad you thought that same as me then...the picture did seem pretty damn impressive. I only had a quick mess around in the settings and both my Wife and agreed that it was possibly one of the best pictures out of all the sets on display in the store!

It just seems a bit of a bargain! 52" Hi Def display with what looks like an amazing picture and pretty high spec for £1799 :eek:

7. blearyeyes

blearyeyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where is your local Currys PaulB?

8. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What was the LG display like with SD material (freeview, SKY, ntl etc)?

Currys are showing a variety of LG displays with HD material at the moment. They do look very impressive I must admit. Roll on HD!

However, most displays do look bloody amazing with a HD feed, the Panasonic PV500 and Pioneer 436XDE to name but two.

9. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Doesn't look too bad either (aesthetically). Tried to find this on pricegrabber/dealtime/kelkoo etc but can't seem to find it. Is it only new? Can't comment on the picture because I haven't seen it but have you compared the set physically with other DLP competitors in that price range? Which ones?

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Compared it in store with the likes of the Samsung 46" and the Sagem 45". The LG produced the best picture out of all three. All three were displaying via componant from DVD players so no HD material.

The one set that looked better was the Samsung 50" pedestal model (for get the model number)...but not by very much and I reckon with some good setting up the LG could be easily as good.

11. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like another contender for the top DLP...

12. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    This was at Currys at the Bridge of Dee, Aberdeen. The other Currys at Kittybrewster had the LG with the composite feed.

I should caution that its very likely that all decent DLP sets can display an equally spectacular picture if set up correctly, its just that in all my wanderings I've never seen one this good, as AndoverRed said, it looked as good as the Panasonic Viera Plasma demo (the one with the old car and the pretty ladies).
    Paul

13. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Theres more to a TV set than just a pretty picture of course, unfortunately someone needs to buy it in order to find out how well it actually performs in the real-world :)
    Paul

14. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Hi guys :hiya: it's been a long time since I’ve posted anything on here – been busy ! And still no new TV on the horizon….. :rolleyes:

Anyway I saw the LG 44SZ8R in Currys a couple of weeks back & was going to ask on here if anyone knew whether it was any good, but never got down to doing so.

The 44” in my local Currys has what I assume to be an HD feed playing through an HDMI player, but I can’t be too sure as there’s a small banner at the bottom right of the picture that just says ‘DLP – A Texas Instruments Technology’ or something like that, no mention of it being an HD feed. Yeah, picture doesn’t seem to be all that bad, not sure about the sound though !

From a design point of view the set looks pretty nifty :thumbsup:

If MacReady had tried a little harder :D you can go to the global LG website at lge.com where product info for the 44” & 52” can be found. You can also download the manual for both at http://www.lge.com/support/manual_gcsc.jsp :smashin:

15. blearyeyes

blearyeyes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD3?! Kinda old skool...

17. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Do you reckon the stores show Hi Def on the ones they want rid off quicker? I.e the ones that they have too many of? Just a thought...

18. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    How dare you ;)

I had posted the link above to the Australian site with the info on it :D

But are there any issues with the HD3 as opposed to the HD4 or HD2+ ?

19. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    still trying to find this set been to a couple of local currys,comet but no luck :( the guy in comet laughed when i said 52" for £1799 :eek:

20. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I had another chance to see the LG when I popped into Currys for a cheap Alphason. They were showing something with dark/black scenes and they were blacker on the LG than there were on the SP50 next to it. I fiddled with the SP50 but simply could not get it as black as the LG.

I hate the look of the LG set itself but the picture is simply superb! Its definately £1799. Amazing for a 52inch set. As I said before though, need to be careful that the LG isn't just simply better set up out of the box and that other sets can be just as good with a bit of tweaking (although from the SP50 I played with yesterday, I can't see how it could match the LG in black level unless perhaps a full calibration may do it but I'd doubt it?). Very strange.

As an aside, the specs for the Aussie model may not be the same as the UK model.
    Paul

21. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Well I think I may end up being the guinea pig for this set as my Wife is pretty determinied that we buy it :rolleyes:

We were in Currys...again...today and she almost gto me to hand over the cash there and then but I am still being a bit cautious as I simply don't know enough about it yet.

22. kmhtkmhtkmht

kmhtkmhtkmht

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good enough to me. I am soon to re enter the DLP/Tv buying phase as this Sagem 50 G4 doesn't seem like it's gonna materialize. The Sagem 56 and 45 are utter crap compared to the Samsungs, I've used both Sagems and toyed with the Samsung L6 and L7 and the Samsungs KILLED the Sagems in every sorta way - looks - picture - feel and general coolness factor. Will the G4 change my mind?

23. bulldog

bulldog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In case you're still looking gor opinions.

I bought mine from a local retailer in Australia about a month ago, very happy. I feed it HD from a PC and personally find the picture quality excellent, nothing comparable at that size for that price in Oz anyway. I had heard a few people complain about it's compatibility with console systems, but my XBOX works perfectly on it.

Having said that, it does have some deficiencies, 4:3 material will have a noticable curve down each side, it's also there in 16:9 but not as easily noticed. Apparently this is "by design" according to LG. It was incredibly difficult to set up a 16:9 resolution from the PC to the TV, and after being told by LG support that it was simply not possible the good people at http://dtvforum.info set me on the right track.

I've also noticed one scene in 28 Days Later, where they drive past a field full of flowers, looked ugly. The flowers were all discoloured and even after tweaking still looked looked pretty ordinary.

You take the good with the bad I guess. I have a 52" telly with some very minor (imo) faults and it didn't blow too big a whole in my pocket, I'm stoked.

24. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    That would be bad design, then. There is no reason nor excuse for less than perfect geometry.

25. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There's a few people saying the LG 52SZ8R is £1799 in Currys, it aint that price now, its £2199, making the Samsung web deal about £400 cheaper

26. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Yep, the 52" is that £1799 price. I saw it today in Currys, its amazing! It was a HD feed, maybe through component or HDMI, not sure. I really like it, do they have a smaller model in Currys, if so how much?

It wasnt as bright as the LCD that was next to it, the 27" priced at £2199, but its a big screen, compared it to the SP50 and SonyA12 50", this was definately better. Just hope they can knock the price down for me :)

27. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Also does this have RGB scart, or just the 2 svideo in,

28. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    where?

I have phoned several Currys branches and it is £2100, including the warehouse, this is confusing me.

29. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Still £1799 in the Wakefield Currys today. It is still not on the Currys website though.

30. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383