LG 50UH635V... good buy?

Atomicus

Established Member
Reaction score
I see the LG 50UH635V is on offer at JL for only £479. This seems an excellent deal, or am I wrong? VA panel so blacks will be good. HDR won't be up to scratch of course, but that's true of any TV below the Samsung KS7000. No idea what the input lag is on this though. I've been looking at other TV's of this size, Samsung and Panasonic, but they're all at least £100 more than the LG and don't seem to offer much more. Thoughts?

This isn't one of the RGBW models is it? According to displayspecifications it isn't, but I don't know if absence of that in the spec means it definitively isn't?

Is RGBW only limited to IPS panels though? I'm not sure?

Last edited:
I can't be certain, but I'd be very surprised if it's a VA panel particularly as lg make a point of saying it has wide viewing angles. Scroll down LG 50UH635V | LG Electronics UK
The price is attractive, but expect it to be an IPS panel.
Just found it on the page I linked to. Definitely IPS.

I can't be certain, but I'd be very surprised if it's a VA panel particularly as lg make a point of saying it has wide viewing angles. Scroll down LG 50UH635V | LG Electronics UK
The price is attractive, but expect it to be an IPS panel.

Well, they also go on about the HDR benefits, but we know that's a load of tosh with an 8-bit panel lol! Are the specs on displayspecifications likely to be that utterly wrong then? If so, how have they got it so backwards? I've always found them to be very accurate.

IMG_0065.PNG
They are not accurate this time. :D

There's a video review here that accidentally shows the viewing angle:

Does that look like IPS or VA or is it impossible to tell?

Hard to say with all that ambient light. I'm just a bit puzzled how displayspecifications got this so wrong. When you see the comparison with the Samsung KU6400 (which is DEFINITELY a VA panel), everything down the list matches up very closely, indicating they are both VA. Clearly something has gone wrong here or maybe it's a different model from a different country they've used.

I don't think lg have ever used VA panels. LG means IPS instantly to me, and to be fair it looks like a really good deal for brightly lit rooms.
I would imagine it's a basic copy and paste error by someone. You will be safer scouring the manufacturers websites in my opinion.

I think you're right... it would seem odd that LG had just the one MVA TV in their entire line-up... especially when their own site says it's IPS!

I think you're right... it would seem odd that LG had just the one MVA TV in their entire line-up... especially when their own site says it's IPS!

There's enough of a market only willing to buy VA panels that I can easily see them catering to it and just forgetting to change the UH6/7 template when they made the page for it.

They've clearly changed to a completely different panel given the 1" difference, given every other non-super UHD model is so similar that they presumably use related panels it's an odd choice if it performs the same.

There's enough of a market only willing to buy VA panels that I can easily see them catering to it and just forgetting to change the UH6/7 template when they made the page for it.

They've clearly changed to a completely different panel given the 1" difference, given every other non-super UHD model is so similar that they presumably use related panels it's an odd choice if it performs the same.

So you think it IS actually MVA than, and not IPS? Is there a way to tell when you have the TV in your possession?

So you think it IS actually MVA than, and not IPS?

I think it's a different set of panels and a VA offering would be a logical candidate. Although it could be non-RGBW IPS or a set of panels to ensure the range was at all the available sizes this year.

Is there a way to tell when you have the TV in your possession?

If you can't then why are you bothered about whether it's IPS or VA?

If you've got a colourimeter or other device that can measure contrast then it's output would be definitive. Otherwise look for quirks of that technology like black crush or IPS glow.

Last edited:
I think it's a different set of panels and a VA offering would be a logical candidate. Although it could be non-RGBW IPS or a set of panels to ensure the range was at all the available sizes this year.

If you can't then why are you bothered about whether it's IPS or VA?

If you've got a colourimeter or other device that can measure contrast then it's output would be definitive. Otherwise look for quirks of that technology like black crush or IPS glow.

It's possible... after all, ALL the panel sizes in this range are listed as MVA on displayspecifications, so that's a pretty epic copy and paste faux pas if that's what this is! Either that or they just got given the wrong info by someone at LG. Or as you say, this is genuinely an MVA panel and the mistake is on LG's site. I would just like to know for sure one way or the other.

You're right, with no comparison I may be happy, but it would irk me something rotten if I later found out it WAS an IPS panel and therefore I wasn't getting blacks as good, plus with RGBW the image would definitely be worse. I'd gladly pay a bit more for better... a Samsung or Hisense which I know have VA panels and no RGBW. It's just principle alone... I want to know what I'm paying for.

You're right, with no comparison I may be happy, but it would irk me something rotten if I later found out it WAS an IPS panel and therefore I wasn't getting blacks as good, plus with RGBW the image would definitely be worse. I'd gladly pay a bit more for better... a Samsung or Hisense which I know have VA panels and no RGBW. It's just principle alone... I want to know what I'm paying for.

VA is well loved by professional reviews and high end TV buyers because it's well suited to TV watching in a home theatre environment.

IPS is popular in the mid-range because VA loses many of it's advantages in a less dedicated room. Having the lights on reduces the gap between contrast ratios and having the TV in a convenient place for the plug and furniture rather than carefully positioned also reduced the contrast difference.

IPS isn't a cheaper version. In other fields IPS is the only display technology used in the high end. If you pay two or three thousand pounds for an image editing monitor it'll be IPS. Ditto the £5k your hospital paid for it's medical imaging screens that doctors used to diagnose X-ray and scan results.

It's just a different set of trade-offs.

As for RGBW, LG have seen that 4K is too much resoution for the typical size and viewing distance. They've removed the colour filter from some of those extra pixels making the display more power efficient without impacting on the perceived detail for most of their buyers. It may even have reduced the cost too.

If it was a flagship display you'd be rightly miffed, but on a mid-range display everything is a couple of steps down from what the technology can do. I wouldn't be bothered about the compromise made in any particular element unless it has a disproportionate impact on what you're doing. It's all about which TV's set of compromises together produce the best picture.

The line between something that actually annoys you and something you're happy with but might have been better is difficult one to find. As long as you end up on the right side of that line then there are more interesting things to do than worry about maybes.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I view TV in a very dark room... hardly any natural light and never with the lights on more than ambient. I don't want to buy the LG under the impression it's VA only to find it's IPS. There's little doubt I will be getting a worse experience in that eventuality vs having bought a Samsung or Hisense which are definitely VA. This is my frustration.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom