LG 50PZ250T or Panasonic TX-P42ST30B

Discussion in 'Panasonic TVs Forum' started by Deicist, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Deicist

Deicist
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, I'm looking to splash some cash on my first HD Telly.

I've been swayed towards plasma's due to their better gaming performance generally better picture quality. I also might as well invest a little more and get a 3D ready set, even if I don't buy any glasses just yet.

The two I'm looking at are:

The 50" LG:

LG 50PZ250T 50-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D 600Hz: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

and the 42" Panasonic:

Buy Panasonic Viera TX-P42ST30B Plasma HD 1080p 3D TV, 42 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com

The panasonic is smaller, but comes with a 5 year guarantee. I sit about 10ft back from where the screen is going, so not sure if 50" will be 'too' big or if the 42" is going to be big enough.

Anyone got either of these sets? Any comments about their relative merits?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. fillongs

fillongs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can tell you that the Panasonic TX-P42S30B is lovely to watch at 8 feet in a room with the curtains shut and lights on or off.

The EPG leaves much to be desired compared to the HDR Fox-t2 EPG, the Panasonic EPG takes over and the programme stops and it isnt very slick in comparison, but its adequate.

It doesn't say so but seems to have USB recording functionality.

I have yet to connect it up to a home cinema unit, but the sounds ok as it goes.

Happy New Year

3. morfeen68

morfeen68
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your a heavy gamer. Plasma may not be the ideal choice, due to IR/ Screen burn. You'd have to be cautious for the first 100-200 hours.
    Although at roughly 16ms input lag for the TX-P42ST30B. It seems a good set.

4. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469

Burn is very rare, the 200 hours is around the time it takes for the phosphors to bed in a bit. The point of not using high contrast during this time is to reduce IR rather than avoid burn. Manufacturers pre-burn sets at the factory and add pixel shifting tech to help provent burn. Burn is also a separate issue to IR, burn is uneven wear of the screen where as IR is a residual charge that goes fairly quick in most cases, so quick you wont notice it.
    Many sets also have a scrolling bar option that clears most IR quite quickly if left on for a while.

This is from a happy plasma gamer for the last 3 years.;)