LG 50PY2R New Install Questions

badbaz320567

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all - new to the forum and needing some good tips/advice.
Congrats on an excellent looking forum, very informative and interesting - too much to take in so far!

Onto the forthcoming telly -

Expecting delivery tomorrow of new LG 50PY2R, firstly let me justify my choice and ask for others opinions of this set. First reason was based on size/price/looks but not in that order. Have paid £2075 including delivery to my home - which I think is very reasonable - it's from Currys. The size is appropriate to my living room. The set looks stunning in my opinion. I have SKY+ so don't need the missing digital tuner.

Some fair amount of thinking has been done in the last few days and a fair few sore heads already. Here's my thoughts and questions in no particular order - I hope you all can share your experiences...

Mounting - this will be on the wall - no need for swinging arms but have it in my mind that tilt will need to be available in case of reflections (our living room has VERY large windows ) but also don't know which make, price range, manufacturer or after market - help please! Also, would anyone consider mounting a plasma above a radiator, where the ceiling height is approx 11 feet, aiding the obvious warm air circulation, or is this an absolute no no?

Source location - was originally going to site the dvd, Sky, video, av receiver on stand at foot of plasma, but now edging towards a cupboard which is outwith the living room but adjacent. Cable lengths? What is reasonable/reliable/maximum? Reckon on cable run being in the region of 8 - 10 metres. Anyone got this type of setup? Whats the probs to look out for with this type of install? And if it's all systems go, where to buy cables?

Would want to use for Xbox 360, PS3 when it comes, can you buy faceplates to cable to lower down the wall below the plasma for connection of the console?

HDMI leads, only one connection on the tv, what if have sky HD & PS3, can you have a splitter, what leads should I install to future proof the install?

If the tv has audio in, can I use the tv as the front and centre speakers for 5.1 from the av receiver - this hurts my head just thinking about it.

Sky HD - is it any good, can anyone recommend it as opposed to it's cost?

Power cable - should this be kept away from any of the other leads?

A lot of questions I know but your input will be appreciated greatly

:hiya: for now but I'll be back:smashin:

That's a lot of questions, Badbaz, and a lot of typing of answers. Feel free to give me a ring if you like, I do this every day pretty much, though most certainly not needing any more business just now... but happy to give you some advice.

Cheers Maw (not mother):smashin:

One question at a time then - mount: brand or generic?

Short and to the point:smashin:

Slightly more detail?:thumbsdow

Give me a make, model, known to suit and guaranteed to work if you please kind sir:thumbsup:

Then I'll hit you with the next question

The thing is will this TV, the scart socket lead when plugged in sticks out a little... so this will have to be taken into consideration when choosing a bracket.

Ive got one of these LG 50PY2R and will be wall mounting it as soon as i can find a decent bracket. Helpppp ppl ??

Hi, all - new to the forum and needing some good tips/advice.
Congrats on an excellent looking forum, very informative and interesting - too much to take in so far!

Onto the forthcoming telly -

Expecting delivery tomorrow of new LG 50PY2R, firstly let me justify my choice and ask for others opinions of this set. First reason was based on size/price/looks but not in that order. Have paid £2075 including delivery to my home - which I think is very reasonable - it's from Currys. The size is appropriate to my living room. The set looks stunning in my opinion. I have SKY+ so don't need the missing digital tuner.

Some fair amount of thinking has been done in the last few days and a fair few sore heads already. Here's my thoughts and questions in no particular order - I hope you all can share your experiences...

Mounting - this will be on the wall - no need for swinging arms but have it in my mind that tilt will need to be available in case of reflections (our living room has VERY large windows ) but also don't know which make, price range, manufacturer or after market - help please! Also, would anyone consider mounting a plasma above a radiator, where the ceiling height is approx 11 feet, aiding the obvious warm air circulation, or is this an absolute no no?

answer =see my signature, like this you mean used a generic wall mount of ebay

Source location - was originally going to site the dvd, Sky, video, av receiver on stand at foot of plasma, but now edging towards a cupboard which is outwith the living room but adjacent. Cable lengths? What is reasonable/reliable/maximum? Reckon on cable run being in the region of 8 - 10 metres. Anyone got this type of setup? Whats the probs to look out for with this type of install? And if it's all systems go, where to buy cables?

Answer = lots of cable distributors on internet and ebay just dont use currys or the like way too expensive and i think im right in saying cable needs to be as short as possible

Would want to use for Xbox 360, PS3 when it comes, can you buy faceplates to cable to lower down the wall below the plasma for connection of the console?

HDMI leads, only one connection on the tv, what if have sky HD & PS3, can you have a splitter, what leads should I install to future proof the install?

If the tv has audio in, can I use the tv as the front and centre speakers for 5.1 from the av receiver - this hurts my head just thinking about it.

Answer = why would you you want to if you are using a dedicated 5.1 set up use the better speakers that are attached to the receiver better tonal balance

Sky HD - is it any good, can anyone recommend it as opposed to it's cost?

Power cable - should this be kept away from any of the other leads?

Answer = yes as best you can

A lot of questions I know but your input will be appreciated greatly

:hiya: for now but I'll be back:smashin:

Regards

Hi

Looks very similar to the one i used should be ok if it tilts as well as these are set further from the wall to allow for the tilt

In my case the screen is some 40 mm from wall to back of plasma

regards

Obviously check this is only my opinion

Like a train station, nothing then all at once;)

Thanx guys - kjt - would you say your bracket was ideal or a compromise - appreciate your feedback - trying to size it all up at the moment - is the cable length a defo problem or are you not 100% sure:rolleyes:

Hi

Cable length, sure i have read on these pages somewhere some folk with cable issues on the longer runs over 10m

As for the bracket its not a compromise at all but in hindsight wouldnt bother with the tilt as we never use it
So would probbaly get a slimmer fit bracket to take it as close to the wall as possible

hope it all helps

regards

Hi

Cable length, sure i have read on these pages somewhere some folk with cable issues on the longer runs over 10m

As for the bracket its not a compromise at all but in hindsight wouldnt bother with the tilt as we never use it
So would probbaly get a slimmer fit bracket to take it as close to the wall as possible

hope it all helps

regards

kjt,

is there a radiator inside the radiator cover on your install and if so then is there a heat issue?

Hi

Sorry i do have a life :D

Yes there is a rad inside and yes it is on but it is turned to half setting and it doesnt cause any heat issues what so ever

regards:hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom