LG 50PX990 plasma screen fault

CJT

Standard Member
Reaction score
I got this tv from richer sounds in york over 12 months ago (no extended warranty either sadly) and have had no problems with it up until tonight. A fuzzy horizontal band has appeared across the full width of the screen which is about 2 to 3 inches deep.

Can anyone tell me if this makes it a write-off or is there an affordable fix?

I've tried powering off everything attached/near the tv but that's had no effect.

I'll be gutted if it's dead, it was a great set.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have the same set and developed a similar problem, although lines not as deep (unfortunately also did not take out extended warranty). Contacted LG but did not want to know.

Thread moved.

Was the set new when you purchased it? If so check out SOGA, if the set was sold as new its reasonable to expect it to last more than a year. If it was purchased second hand you also have rights unless a fault was declared.

Your rights are with the retailer not the manufacturer.

Well, visited RS today. They checked dates and it turns out I've had the tv for over two years so I'm on my own. You'd like to think these things would last longer than that but there you go, live and learn. I'm well and truly put off LG now though, unless this makes sense to anyone...

...my daughter (8) just told me that her little brother (5) "banged the iPad against the screen quite hard" when he leant it up against the screen where it was left, turned on. This, she says, caused a thin line to appear immediately in the same place as the thicker band in place now.

Is this possible? I'd be I interested to now what people think?

Well, visited RS today. They checked dates and it turns out I've had the tv for over two years so I'm on my own. You'd like to think these things would last longer than that but there you go, live and learn. I'm well and truly put off LG now though, unless this makes sense to anyone...

...my daughter (8) just told me that her little brother (5) "banged the iPad against the screen quite hard" when he leant it up against the screen where it was left, turned on. This, she says, caused a thin line to appear immediately in the same place as the thicker band in place now.

Is this possible? I'd be I interested to now what people think?

I can't be sure about that but any type of impact could cause damage to a panel if its forceful enough. Have you checked your house insurance for accidental tv cover ?.

Not yet, I will do though. Can't find this model for sale anywhere online to save my life. Worth a shot though

Not yet, I will do though. Can't find this model for sale anywhere online to save my life. Worth a shot though

You won't find a PX 990 for sale new I doubt. An old model now. Good luck with whatever you decide .

Finally got sorted. Insurers engineer can't replace it like for like as it's an old model and it's not cost effective to fix it apparently.

They've offered me a samsung PS51 F5500 which looks pretty good on paper. It'll be interesting to see what it's like in practice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom