LG 50PX4D - Died after 14 months HELP !!

stsxt05

Standard Member
Reaction score
Guys, any comments or thoughts welcome, I have an LG 50PX4D which has performed flawlessly for the last 14 months, today whilst watching the screen suddenly dimmed, lost all but a hint of colour, affecting all channels including terrestial TV and the internal menus of the TV. One hour later the TV now has gone into standby and flatly refuses to switch on. If you press the power button from standby the red power light turns to yellow for 5 secs and then goes back to red. Please , have I bought a crap tele? Comets are not going to make it here until next week, the family are going crazy, soemone save me or suggest what this is please? thanks guys in advance!!
LG 50PX4D /Denon 2807/Denon 2910 DVD/Sky plus/Panasonic DVD/ Bose 5.1

That sounds like a power supply failure, should be simple if not particularly cheap. It really ought not to fail so early in the Tvs life. I might suggest that gently to currys. If they quote you something silly, call LG, and also call around for other quotes.

Guys, Ok it gets worse, thanks for the suggestion of the power unit, I only wish that was the cause. The symptoms were almost complete loss of brightness, left with snowy and watery like appearance before the plasma finally died. Now stuck in standby, green light wont come on. Comet engineer turned up today and it seems that the Y sustain PCB board ( part number 6871QYH039A) is the probable cause , he unplugged this and the green light mode now works. We are going to try and replace the PCB but at a cost of £300 !! plus labour, call out .... now thinking of writing the screen off and just buying new. I will as you suggest approach LG , has anyone else had any luck with just out of warranty cases like this? This is a nightmare, and in january !! cheers for the support so far.....

Speak to trading standards. I spoke to then about my Plasma that died after 14 months and they said that it should last longer than that. It is a bit complicated but basically a product should last as long as a reasonable person would expect it to. Trading Standards suggested to me that an expensive TV should last 4-5 years.

Anyway after I spoke to Trading Standards I spoke to Argos (head office) and explained TV broke and was there anything they could do? She quoted trading Standards 4-5 years and after estimate on repair, thhey replaced the TV no problem. So I didnt even have to start quoting trading standards etc no arguments from them at all, Argos were very helpful.

So I would speak to Trading Standards about your particular situation and then follow their advice. You should at minimum be able to get the Seller to pay for the repair.

Good Luck and keep us updated.

Sorry to read of your problem mate.

I had a Hitachi 42pd5200, and got it replaced within the year for a dead pixel). However 1.5 years later with my new screen I had exactly the same problem, i.e. the screen went dead and I could not get it switched on. No warranty or anything.
I called out an engineer, who took £200 to fix it (absolutely no idea if I was conned or not, but it got repaired). turned out that my model, or should I say Hitachi, had a severe flaw in this happening to my model. I searched these forums at the time and was astounded as to the amount of sets it affected.

It could be that others have experienced this fault with their same models, and a search may be able to help you with regards to any advice.

Seems a lot of money to spend, but cheaper than renewing. Good luck

Guys
Appreciate all the comments, the bad news is that the fault is a 'Y' sustain PCB , cost £300, plus two driver boards both of which have been damaged by the failure. Although the Plasma is out of waranty I purchased this item from Comets and provided I pay the labour (about £45) to replace these they have offered to replace these items FOC !! what a result,!!! Comets have well exceeded their liability here and I am most impressed with their service, Well done Comets and their aftercare service, saving me some £500 ! I Know where I will go in future for my electrical purchases......BTW these LG parts are a known issue, in the USA the LG50PX4D has been labelled a lemon....Also LG customer service were a complete waste of time and unsympathetic, and another thing, I cant understand why this TV is guaranteed around the world for 24 months , but here in rip off UK we only get 12 months warranty !! ,... cheers Steve

Every LG tv we have ever had back faulty (and we've had a lot), it's been a fault with the Y-sus according to the engineers. It's apparently what causes the red-speckling issue too.

Sorry to hear about tmate, did you not take out any insurance or protection policy with comet. Also do you have home and content insurance. If so, are you thinking what im thinking!

I read this thread with great interest as my LG50PX4D has also just died in exactly the same way. I bought the TV from currys on 13th May 2006.

I will be trying to go down the same route, i,e getting currys to either replace the TV or have it repaired FOC.

Apologies I had to create another ID to write this.

I have contacted currry and customer services where quite helpful, they told me I needed an independant engineer to come out and provide a report saying it was a manufacturers fault, whether it could be repaired, if yes then what parts were need and how much it would cost.I then have to email this all to them and they will look at paying the costs.

Does anyone know a good independant engineer who I could use or should i use the tech guys who currys have a contract with.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

My estimate for repair has come back and they have quoted £340 quid for the replacements of what they are calling a ZSUS PCB ASSY. I have no idea what this is and the worrying thing is that thay have said that if they find anything else whilst replacing this part then they will have to re quote.

Does anyone have any advice on how best to deal with currys.

All suggestions welcome, thanks in advance

I forgot to add, they have said thsat it is not covered by standard or extended warranty agreements. Begs the questions with regards whats the point of a warranty

sorry.. but gonna have to revise this thread..

bought my lg in april 2006.. same fault Y sus pcb, engineer fixed it.. and hey presto it lasted just under 12 months and popped again yesterday,

seems the pcb board only lasts 12 months, we only watch tv a few hours per evening, so hardley gets hammerd..

lucky we got 3 year cover on it.. just wanted to ask if the engineer should right it off?? same fault now in less than 12 months..

any advice would be helpful

cheers jay

You have a good claim under the Sale of Goods Act. The responsibility is with the retailer to deal with any claim for up to six years after the sale. Within six months of the purchase you do not have to prove that the fault existed at the time of purchase. After 6 months the burden of proof moves to the purchaser. A TV would be expected to last at least 5 years therefore you can claim for a repair, exchange or compensation. Failure of a key internal part such as the picture processing board after a short period would represent a reasonable claim under the Sale of Goods Act section on durability. Manufacturers have no obligation to supply any warranty and do it for good customer relations and a way to obtain marketing information (you always have to fill in some kind of survey with the warranty registration). Remember that your redress is always with the seller and not the manufacturer (unless you purchased it direct from the Mfr). The seller cannot fob you off with saying it's the manufacturer's responsibility there's nothing they can do about the problem. So long as you are reasonable and not trying to pull a fast one it is very likely you will win any reasonable claim under the law.

thanks for that information andy, and will persue it...

contacted LG today and they say they have no reports of faults on this tv.. and advised me to quiz the engineer why the pcb board keeps failing..

will do this and keep posted on what goes on..

thanks all

Hi all

Interesting to read this thread. I bought an LG50PX4D tv around 33 months ago for £1600 and now its developed a fault with a repair bill of £671 as the Y & Z sustainer boards need replaced.

The onus is on myself to prove the tv was not fit for purpose so I'm trying to gather any information to support my case and posting in order to hopefully gather information from likewise people who have or had this fault and therefore benefit each other as a real injustice can't be allowed to happen and go unnoticed.

I'm prepared to go to the courts if need me. Please post any personal information you have.

Here's my local engineers report:

REPORTED FAULT
WILL NOT SWITCH ON
SET IS IN AS NEW CONDITION NO SIGN OF MISUSE

ENGINEERS REPORT
BOTH Y AND Z SUS BOARDS ARE FAULTY. TELEVISIONS ARE VERY COMPLEX ELECTRONIC UNITS & CAN BREAK DOWN AT ANY TIME DUE TO MANY DIFFERENT FACTORS. WE HAVE HAD BRAND NEW SETS FAULTY WHEN REMOVED FROM THE BOX. THE ENVIRONMENT THEY ARE USED IN CAN ALSO AFFECT THE RELIABILITY AS THE Y SUS & X SUS BOARDS GET HOT WHEN IN USE & ARE MORE LIKELY TO GO FAULTY THAN COOL RUNNING BOARDS.

----------------

The situation I'm in is I purchased online through EMPIRE DIRECT but they went into administration mid January this year. To pay for it I signed a credit agreement so was told my first point of call was to claim from the credit company so I wrote to them. They rejected my claim and after studying the consumer credit act it seems if you did not make payments by credit card then it's not there liability. On looking at the agreement it says payments can be made over the phone by debit card or by sending a cheque by post, the latter is the method I used.

So now my last resort is to write and try to claim from LG themselves.

Last edited:
I've been living in a house with an LG 50PX4D for the past 9 months and in that time the SUS boards have gone 3 times. It's cost £300 to repair each of the last 2 times and it's now going to get binned for a replacement.
Something I've noticed was that the owner had no problems with the set until I moved in with my PS3 and an HDMI cable. Within a few days of me playing some games, the first board went. £300 repair.
I never used the PS3 again for a few months until the owner was thinking about a blu ray player. I used the PS3 to show him the quality. A couple of days later, dead tv again. £300 repair.
I've never hooked up the PS3 since and it was working fine. The owner got Sky HD with HDMI cable installed a few days ago. Guess what, the board(s) have gone again.
Has anyone got any information or experience about this type of thing please?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom