LG 50px4d calibration/setup

T

timmybianco

Despite not knowing what it means :))) my mate (ROne on these very forums) came round last night and calibrated my new LG 50" plasma to d65 last night.

To be honest I preferred it how it was :) (ROne had previously done a more basic calibration, simply toying with some of the offensive defaults).

I'll give more details when I've watched a film with these settings.

:)

Come on guys give him reassurance in how out the box set up RGB levels can misrepresent the greyscale so your eye percieves it to be better.

Does anyone have access to the service menu for this thing? There are relatively few bumps and lumps but I think I can improve it slightly.

And is there anyway of taming the excessive posterization that takes place on all sources? (looks like this ab)

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/posterization.htm

Tim

I will be very interested to hear your settings and views , i must admit i am very happy with my PQ at present but always alert to see if they can be improved

AT present

PSM = user
CSM = Cool
XD =off
ACM=off
Contrast=52
Brightness = 60
Colour = 14
Sharpness = 5

Low power = on

Havent dared touch any settings in the service menu :D

PSM = user
CSM = user - R=11 G=12 B=-25
XD =on
ACM= all settings here =1
Contrast=78
Brightness = 63
Colour = 37
Sharpness = 11

Low power = on

That's what I have for DTV. I've got all the same settings for DVD except 0 for sharpness but not sure I like it :)

So there's the settings for 'proper' d65 setup. (not sure how mine and your models of LG tv differ, but has to be worth a try). I need to fiddle with it more to get the settings *I* like. And be interesting to see what options the Service menu offers. I've not looked at manual...but anyone know the way in to the service menu?

And as ROne mentioned see if anything can be done about the posterization.

Tim

Plasma are very similar apart from size and greater resolution from your ie HD ready rather than HD compatible-mine

Service menu , press menu button on plasma and hold, then press menu on remote and hold at same time, brings up service menu.

you can then travel through the options using the remotes arrow keys, however i have never used any of them due to fear of mucking something up:eek:

just use it to see how many hours i have run it for

regards

Oooh...there's lots of things for me to mess up in the service menu :)

Nothing that says "fix excessive posterization" or "add free xbox 360" though....:)

Tim

try getting the contrast below the colour setting ie like mine 50/60 ratio it certainly makes for better viewing IMHO and see what you think

Also i prefer the softer feel turning the XD endone to off makes

let us know hoe u get on:hiya:

PSM = user
XD =on
Contrast=78
Brightness = 63
Colour = 37
Sharpness = 11

Low power = on

These seemed to be really good settings for poor sources. Not quite sure about with HD on the 360 at 720p, seems abit blurry and lacking in vibrance.

Anyone else got any suggested settings for the 360 in hi def?

Also dvd playback, those settings seemed a little bit too dark, as turning off the "low power" option bought out some more detail.

But then I guess its a compromise as the above settings would look better on poorer encoed dvds?

Any 50PX4D owners got any little tips?

Thanks ;) Rob

Robbo

IMHO Contrast setting is way too high , most plasmas suffer from a small amount of solarization but with contrast that high you are going to emphasize it.

Try settings closer to the one i have posted should improve things

regards

I will try it now :)

I did give it a quick shot last nite but preferred the other settings, seemed abit more juicy. But then thats most likely why the solarization is there. Maw just posted in a thread that these LGs are pretty prone to it.

Its not that bad, only in certain circumstances, and if its a known trait and not a fault that shouldn't be there makes you feel abit better :)

Thanks

ROne said:
Come on guys give him reassurance in how out the box set up RGB levels can misrepresent the greyscale so your eye percieves it to be better.

Does anyone have access to the service menu for this thing? There are relatively few bumps and lumps but I think I can improve it slightly.

And is there anyway of taming the excessive posterization that takes place on all sources? (looks like this ab)

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/posterization.htm
Hello,
To access the service menu on the LG50PX4D, while pointing the remote at the tv. press menu on the remote at the same time press menu on the tv itself (bottom right hand corner controls) for 3/5 seconds this brings up a hidden service menu. havent played with the menus yet but looks interesting!!

admiral said:
Hello,
To access the service menu on the LG50PX4D, while pointing the remote at the tv. press menu on the remote at the same time press menu on the tv itself (bottom right hand corner controls) for 3/5 seconds this brings up a hidden service menu. !!
BTW, the procedure works for every LG PDP that I know of since PX2RV.

Whilst watching a DVD and making the adjustments we immediately noticed the colour was less 'artificial' and overstated.
Now, if only we could change the horrig 'Grey' bars when watching 4:3 to a more eye friendly 'Black'.
Who came up with that one, I mean the frame of the panel is piano black, so continuing the black theme would have made a ton more sense, and been less of a 'workout' for the set.

If anyone knows of a way of changing the colour (engineer menu?) please email me.. ([email protected]).
On a side note, I noted only one defective pixel... not bad I think for a set of this size.. from 3 metres you cannot see it is stuck on a 'pink' setting.

timmybianco said:
PSM = user
XD =on
Contrast=78
Brightness = 63
Colour = 37
Sharpness = 11

Low power = on

That's what I have for DTV. I've got all the same settings for DVD except 0 for sharpness but not sure I like it :)

So there's the settings for 'proper' d65 setup. (not sure how mine and your models of LG tv differ, but has to be worth a try). I need to fiddle with it more to get the settings *I* like. And be interesting to see what options the Service menu offers. I've not looked at manual...but anyone know the way in to the service menu?

And as ROne mentioned see if anything can be done about the posterization.

I am watching dvds though the component input.
The source is a Sony rdr-hx900 set to progressive scan.. and the display is absolutely *stunning* people.
Whilst not Hi-def 525/625 output is truley gorgeous on this set. A nice dark room, some decent AV equipment and the DVD/PDP marriage makes for a happy shopper. This is a lovely set and at the recent price drops that have heppened means this should be auditioned ASAP if you are in the market for a PDP. Just make sure they let you adjust the setting to the ones you read here to get the most out of the set.

The built in speakers are not bad either.. as a freebie.

arthur071169 said:
Now, if only we could change the horrig 'Grey' bars when watching 4:3 to a more eye friendly 'Black'.

Any luck with that one? Looking myself to change the grey to black, but without any luck :(

Fraid not...
looks like we are stuck with a silver frame, with piano black inner frame, then grey bars.....

someone did not think that one through.

grid8400 said:
Any luck with that one? Looking myself to change the grey to black, but without any luck :(

i got the 50pc1d 2days ago still in the running in period. iv been using the 'mild' setting. whats everyones opinion on using that? any alternatives?

simba

Should be fine, I'm using a 50PX4D, thats also got the "mild" setting. It definately dulls down the contrast (as it should).

I would set it at mild, but still make sure you haven't got the contrast above "50".

I noticed that with it at 70 or above the colours are still a little too bright and fruity for a run in.

I can't remember who on here listed decent settings but these are them for the 50PX4D...

Contast 78
Brightness 63
Colour 37
Sharpness - This one depends on your eyesight, for the xbox 360, I have it at50 because it can output such a clean signal, for Sky I would use 10, and for DVDs 10-30

For colour tones use

11 Red
12 Green
-25 (yep minus) Blue

hi there, ok now iv been using the mild setting and last night i noticed that (in the dark, when on a no signal channel, i could see the glimpses of the menu showing through on the black background. also some channels (and dvds) i watch on sky have a logo on the top corner this was also showing through very faintly. i kind of panicked a bit thinking it was screen burn but i used whitewash and the snow thing on analogue and it seems to have gone away.
i hadnt been viewing the channels for a long length of time, mainly about 15 mins at a time and changing channels every now and again (some with and without logos).

im guessing it was image retention right? and is it normal for it to happen?
and is whitewash and the snow thing on analogue the best thing to do?

from mild i set the user setting to

contrast 45
brightness 50.

that sound good for running in?

robo989 said:
Should be fine, I'm using a 50PX4D, thats also got the "mild" setting. It definately dulls down the contrast (as it should).

I would set it at mild, but still make sure you haven't got the contrast above "50".

I noticed that with it at 70 or above the colours are still a little too bright and fruity for a run in.

I can't remember who on here listed decent settings but these are them for the 50PX4D...

Contast 78
Brightness 63
Colour 37
Sharpness - This one depends on your eyesight, for the xbox 360, I have it at50 because it can output such a clean signal, for Sky I would use 10, and for DVDs 10-30

For colour tones use

11 Red
12 Green
-25 (yep minus) Blue

Yep, thats "image retention". Its nothing to worry about and totally normal.

Those settings seem alrite to me, I think I ran my set in for about 100 hours on similar ones to those, not sure if I used the "mild" setting. Anyway as long as the contrast is under "50" thats the most important thing.

Also make sure its not in "dynamic" mode. (For the first 100\200 hours, at least)

ok thanks alot.

for the first 15 hours or so (cos i had no clue) i had the settings on 60 contrast and 50 brightness which i think is close the 'mild' setting and when just got the set i had fiddled around with the settings when exploring the settings. do you think iv done some damage of any sort ? id say 95% of the time its been on mild or the default user 1 setting of 60 contrast and 50 brightness, but mostly mild.

regards Simba

robo989 said:
Yep, thats "image retention". Its nothing to worry about and totally normal.

Those settings seem alrite to me, I think I ran my set in for about 100 hours on similar ones to those, not sure if I used the "mild" setting. Anyway as long as the contrast is under "50" thats the most important thing.

Also make sure its not in "dynamic" mode. (For the first 100\200 hours, at least)

Definately no damage at all :) (don't think peeps here will like me saying that, for all we know the world could end tomorrow)

If you find that it has done damage, that would imply a faulty screen - nothing wrong with leaving it at those sorts of settings for 15 hours.

At the end of the day, there are people who don't run in their plasma at all. There are people that will over do it and run it in for hundreds and hundreds of hours.

Even if you don't fully run it in for 200 hours (think thats the current "recommended" level) as long as you don't have screen logos on your screen for more than 30 mins at a time I really wouldn't worry.

I know its easy to say don't worry, when its you thats just shelled out the cash for the screen ;) but you gotta have some cut off point where you've done all that can be realistically expected......

:thumbsup: cool thanks! hehe now i just gotta think of a way in how to stick it in a time machine and speed up the running in process :rolleyes: hmmmm

Definately no damage at all :) (don't think peeps here will like me saying that, for all we know the world could end tomorrow)

If you find that it has done damage, that would imply a faulty screen - nothing wrong with leaving it at those sorts of settings for 15 hours.

At the end of the day, there are people who don't run in their plasma at all. There are people that will over do it and run it in for hundreds and hundreds of hours.

Even if you don't fully run it in for 200 hours (think thats the current "recommended" level) as long as you don't have screen logos on your screen for more than 30 mins at a time I really wouldn't worry.

I know its easy to say don't worry, when its you thats just shelled out the cash for the screen ;) but you gotta have some cut off point where you've done all that can be realistically expected......

yep this can be changed to black, i noticed this in the service menu.

heres how to change it to black.

ok goto the service menu>>panel control>>blank colour

and change blank color from gray to black

hope this helps. mind you i hope its the same cos i have the 50pc1d

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom