LG 50PS3000 - red haze on screen

mh2101

Standard Member
Reaction score
50PS3000 has recently developed a red haze all over the screen. It's still just about watchable but really poor quality.

I've spent the last couple of weeks arguing with LG customer services as it's 2 months out of warranty. I won't go into the whole saga but an engineer visited today and after looking at the screen diagnosed that it needs both Y and Z sustain boards.

From what I've read it seems unlikely that both are blown, anyone got any idea on how to diagnose which needs replacing? z is £90 and y is £60 so don't really want to replace both unless I have to.

One lesson I have learned is.......don't buy another LG!!

Thanks.
Mark.

I think I have exactly the same problem. I've been posting on a few forums to see if anyone could give me a pointer. It was reallly annoying as mine started about 2 weeks outta warranty and LG service were useless. mine is watchable but its really a pain. Not very HD anymore. I've managed to down load the service manual and I am planing to take the back off to check some voltages, I'll focus on the x and y sus boards now that I've got a hint were to start. I've also taken some test pictures that i will try to upload but they might be too big.

Philip

I've got exactly the same problem with my LG 50PS3000 television. It was 1 year, 2 months, 29 days old when a loud bang was heard from the screen and although its watchable, it now just emits a red haze across the whole screen. I have read that it could be the actual plasma panel that has blown? but I'm not sure, especially as the haze pattern changes as the picture changes on the screen? Its appears to be showing a red hazy version of a previous image?

Last edited:
I've got exactly the same problem with my LG 50PS3000 television. It was 1 year, 2 months, 29 days old when a loud bang was heard from the screen and although its watchable, it now just emits a red haze across the whole screen. I have been told by an engineer that it is the actual plasma panel that has blown?

same problem here after 1 years, 6 months: loud bang, tv (PS6000) switched off, after repowering red haze across the screen.
today LG technican repaired it (changed some modules, but not the plasma panel)

Well, mine has just gone tonight. Same "pink mist" prob. 1 year and 3 months old...

I wonder if we can find others with this problem now it is known to be an "issue"???

Has anyone got a repair free yet??? because I will be very p**sed if I have to pay anything...

I have exactly the same problem, turned on the tv and heard a loud pop, only difference being is that mine is a green haze, picture is visible but the green mist looks the same as when you connect an xbox 360 using the component connection and you get the connections mixed up.

Wondering if the Y and Z sustain boards might represent the green and red haze. Would be great to determine which one represents which colour, that is if I am on the right track.

Have just researched the TV and this appears a very common problem and always appears to occur after about a year.

Luckily the insurance company have covered this and I can get a replacement but I just think its a shame to let a good tv go to waste, apart from this problem the TV, in my opinion has been excellent

So you bought an extended warranty then?

I didn't, but seem to have the law on my side when it comes to how long a reasonable person would expect a £700 Tv to last. Seems that general consensus would be 5 years.

I won't be paying for a repair even if I have to take the seller (currys) to court. I am sure the judge will find in my favour. I have written to them and they may be fair and reasonable.

Still be interesting to see how many others are suffering this fault though

mine was repaired for free, but we have two years warranty in germany.

mine was repaired for free, but we have two years warranty in germany.

did you have the same picture problem?

In Europe a 2 year warranty is the minimum allowed. Even though I thought UK was part of Europe (alright, I didn't really!!!)

hmmm...intresting. WOuld be good if we could get a picture of the problem.

The only thing I notice with my set is sort of sparkingling green pixels during the white screen or sort of sparking whilst watching HD stuff. I mean its only noticable if you go right up to the screen i.e. cleaning the tv screen.

hmmm...intresting. WOuld be good if we could get a picture of the problem.

The only thing I notice with my set is sort of sparkingling green pixels during the white screen or sort of sparking whilst watching HD stuff. I mean its only noticable if you go right up to the screen i.e. cleaning the tv screen.

You would know if you had this problem. It is like someone has lightly sprayed the picture with red aerosol, producing a mist over everything, even the menu and menu items.

I have the same problem "red/pink mist" but it only effects the digital programs. All the 5 normal programs are running normal. so it must have to do with the digital system on the TV. I bought the TV in August 2009.:lease:

I guess my 2p worth.

Came home last night and the was alot of light blue misting/blotches whilst the screen was white.

It was really bad and noticable if you went into white wash. After about 30 mins it mostly all away - even when in white wash.

I have rang LG and they have told me to contact curry's and go down the SOGA route.

Anyone know how much on average TV repair folk charge for a call out, I am think about just getting it reapaired myselof as you can get most parts for this TV online.

Thanks

Strange or what! Just an hour ago (I have the same model of LG Plasma TV) I was watching TV and 'click'...TV turned itself off. I restarted it with the remote, and when it came on the screen was all RED and blotchy. I could see the picture (just about) underneath the blotchy red screen...I won't even bother to stuggle to watch it. I also have had this set just over a year all paying monthly for it. I bought it from Curry's and took out a 'WHATEVER HAPPENS' policy on it. Its too late to ring them now, so will do this in the morning. Update everyone later. Seems to be a pre-set fault this doesn't it folks.

Last edited:
Hi all
Ok now I have had this problem with my TV. I have phoned LG and Dixons. LG say they will help me. But they won't repair my TV. Dixons want £60 out of me, just to say no. Because I can see from the post here that they say no to it all.

Now I have just phoned LG up today to log a full complaint with them and asked for all communication to be done by Email from now on.

I have sent an Email to watchdog and rip of grate Briton. " If you feel the same as me. Then log a full complaint with LG, then go to the websites of watchdog and rip of grate Briton. And send them emails."
I have asked them, if they think, there is something in this. Not to do a full story yet, but give us 2 min to ask all of the UK, to email me on the website I will set up for this campaign.

We also need to start posting in all the local forums where you lot live. This will help us gain numbers. As well as making other people aware of us.

I will be happy to lead and I would be happy for any help in this. As I am only a web designer, but I love a good fight with the big boys. We will be needing some legal advice and see what we can do as a grope.

You know what this sounds like to me. They knew of this problem, they knew most of the sets will pop after the 12 month. We need to know of anyone who has had a problem like ours, with the same TV. But had it fixed because it was within the 12 month.

This will help in proving, this is a problem they would of been aware of.

Please email me if I have your support
Many Thanks
Paul

just sent my complaints to watchdog - very easy to do under online purchases took me 2 mins
hop you all complain might get a fix eh.

my repair apparently is a YSUS and power supply unit 280 pounds at repair shop.
Is it an easy repair seen psu and panel for 12o pounds on web is it easy to swap them myself.
Is it worth it - if it will happen again soon?

Or do the new boards resolve the faulty manufactured boards?

Has anyone taken the £60 pay out to dixons and they take it away to see if LG are at fault or I am at fault. If so could you tell me if they found in your favor.
The more emails sent to watchdog, the big voice we have.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOrry guys, been away from the pc for a while.

I got a call from currys customer care again last week asking again if I want to pay the £60. IN all fairness, its up to us to prove that it is faulty and all fairness goes to currys in providing this service form which I am told, is cheaper than arrnging it locally yourself.

I am going to arrange the inspection over the next 2 weeks and I will let you know the results. i will also contact watchdog.

I tihnk its fair to say that, if we get a fault statement, plus contact information for each other, email thiis with a letter of complaint to LG then they may take a different approach to the situation. I am hapopy drafting something with some photos of your faults.

I am the original poster of this thread. My story should help a lot of people out there with the same porblem.

My TV was 15 months old so out of the 1 year warranty.

SOGA say that a TV over around £300 should last 6 years. So that is the length of cover you have By Law in the UK.

I phone Currys (because it is the seller, Not the Manufacturer that is obliged under the SOGA) and told them of the fault. They said "out of warranty". I said "I know but it shouldnt have gone after 15 months, infact it should be good for at least 6 years".

They said "quite right". Pay £60 for an engineers report to make sure that it is manufacturing fault and not something I had done (if a manufacturer fault it is refunded. This is fair because some people probably pour cups of coffee down the back them complain when it stops working!!). I accepted that and paid.

TV was picked up and despite dire customer services and plenty of phone calls because they couldn't find the TV to deliver it back repaired... I finally got it back today after 4 weeks.

It s a bit of a struggle but Currys know the law and will accept it but you do have to tell them, they won't offer the advice.

I AM still waiting for my 60 quid back but I have been told I am in a queue... oh, and they have scratched the stand badly so I will have to tell them to send me a replacement...

PS Anyone know if you can udjust the Tilt on the stand?? ( Iknow it swivels, but my Telly seems to be leaning forwards a bit)

Did the engineer say what was wrong and the cost of the repair?

My tv is scratch free screen and this is the only thing putting me off about getting it checked. I have heard some horror stores of tv's being scratch after they have been taken away and checked.

we could just photocopy the report for each other lol

Nice one for the info. Dixons have said they will come and pick it up. 2 weeks later they lost my reciept. So had to email them my copy. Now its all most been 1 week. Still no phone call. I will take loads of photos of the TV 1st before it gos of to them.
To be honest I would like to pick a new T.V. As I have know confidents in any of LG products.
They were happy to send crap in to the UK market. As well as the companies that want you to pay a 5 year warranty. So you're paying for them to take the pxxx with our laws and make our live hell with no TV after spending all this money. This 5 year warranty, that they what to charge us for should be a 5 year manufacturer warranty. There just trying to charge us for something that was free.
Will keep you guys posted
Paul

Last edited:
Right I have just had a phone call from LG. They are sending an sub engineer round to pick the TV up and repair it as a good will jester. Now I have told them about the rest of us with the same problem. They have told me that you need to ring them up give them all the info they ask for, they will take it up from there.

Products & Service Information
Phone
Customer Service: 0844 847 5454
Reception: 01753 491 500

Office Locations
Head Office : LG House, 250 Bath Road,
Slough, Berkshire, SL1 4DX
Tel. 01753 491 500

But they are aware of us and the forum, I have told them that I will be advising all my clients that need advice on buying any products related with computers or just advices with TV's. That they should look out for the manufactures warranty. The ones that just give out one year warranty and rely on the countrys law, keep well away from. The standard should be 5 years, so look for this in making your decision.

The guy that was helping me at LG said he will give them this feedback. Because I have told them, I won't be getting any more LG products in till they offer a better manufactures warranty.

I will keep you guys posted on how I get on with LG.

All the best
Paul

Thanks for the info Paul,

Did you get the engineers report by any chance?

Currys leaving me voicemails about paying the £60 inspection. I might try and ring up LG and see what they say now.

I am happy to give LG the TV for 4 weeks to repair it, but I am not wanting to loose the TV for 8 weeks for inspection and repair. Any chence you got the guys name you spoke to at LG?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom