LG 50PM670T & 60PM670T Owners Thread

tritoch

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I just ordered this TV from John Lewis for £599 thanks to a pricematch with ElectroCentre. Free 5 year warranty and Free Delivery! - Replacing a JVC CM21773-004 (At least 25 years old - And nothing wrong with it. No discolouration. I'm just sick of looking at it)...

Anyway, will hopefully be arriving on Tuesday so will see if I can offer a decent review seeing as nothing is available on here yet

Anyone else own this tv?

I did manage to find a review of the 60PM6700 (the american 60" version) so I'll post that under here.

Mo

Chad B said:
lg_tv_pm6700_large03.jpg

LGs 60PM6700 plasma is a beautifully designed, 3D capable, ISF and THX certified mid-line television. The thin, attractive bezel design, along with the mirror like glass screen surface, help it to look stylish in nearly any setting. Cleveland Plasma owner Chris Majoros called to let me know he had LGs latest beauty along with a new model Panasonic on the way, ready for a full calibration and evaluation.

I have had mixed feelings about the last few model lines of LGs plasmas. The PK550 from a couple years ago was a standout value, providing very solid, though not ground breaking, performance at a bargain price. Ironically LGs higher end models and subsequent models tended to not improve real, verifiable performance over the PK550; rather, they added features like 3D or features that supposedly increased performance in one way or another but were found lacking. Surprisingly, measured performance actually diminished in many areas.

Unfortunately, that mirror like screen surface tended to attract my attention in ways that were not always good. In anything but a totally dark room, sharp, distinct reflections distracted me from the 6700s image. Yes, its clean, clear, and 3 dimensional in bright rooms. But thats before the 6700 is turned on. While watching TV, it would be better to have all that crystal clear depth coming from the image, not from reflections. The 6700 is best suited to rooms with good light control.

Before calibration:

After loading familiar program material into the Blu Ray player, the 6700s out of the box picture quality was evaluated before making any changes except changing from one picture mode to another.

The 6700 is shipped in a picture mode called APS, which is an energy conscious mode that restricts power usage by limiting light output. While actually not as dark as similar eco modes on some other brands, the image was nonetheless far too dark. Colors seemed naturally toned, though too rich. In other words, red looked a little too red. Dark objects in the image, such as black hair and dark clothing, sunk down into black blobs. Pans and movement had the infamous Soap Opera Effect: they were smoothed to the point of looking fake. The image was bland overall, though there was a decent sense of depth to the image.

Switching to Standard mode, brightness improved tremendously. Pans and motion were also less annoying, and detail in dark shadows was better though it still had a long way to go. However, the picture lacked richness, and flesh tones were pale. Detail looked etched rather than natural, though overall there was decent pop and depth to the image.

THX mode was a disappointment. The image looked washed out, flat, and bland in THX mode. There were signs of good color tone, but flesh tones were somewhat pale. Worst of all, there was a pasty, caked on makeup look in brightly lit lighter skinned faces that I found distracting.

ISF Expert 1 and 2 are capable of being finely tuned by patient and well equipped calibrators, when they can be renamed and locked into ISF Day and Night modes. Even before that calibration, the ISF Expert mode looked less washed out than THX mode, and the colors, while still lacking richness, acquired more depth. The image was fairly natural overall, with a moderate amount of pop and contrast, though some pumping and instability could be seen.

Calibration:

The 6700 displays 1080P/24 at 96 Hz, as verified by the sync reading on my Jeti spectroradiometer. It displays other scan rates at 60 Hz, as expected. I was puzzled to find that, in the advanced menu for the ISF Expert mode, the so called 2 point adjustment was actually just 1 point! Thankfully, this bug is not too serious a flaw since there is also a 20 point adjustment, but it still should be addressed. Speaking of 20 point adjustments, I feel that a 20 point is too much of a good thing; 10 points is perfectly adequate and would leave less likelihood of banding and other problems caused by all but the most patient and determined calibrators. LG should eliminate the 20 point adjustments internal test pattern option from their plasmas, since the internal patterns are full screen and are therefore of absolutely no use in adjusting this control.

I was disappointed to find the white balance in 1080P/24 measured significantly different than any other scan rate. The difference was enough to cause a noticeable yellowing to 1080P/24 material when the set was calibrated for 1080i, and conversely there would be visible problems with 1080i (and most others) if the set were calibrated with 1080P/24 input. That can be worked around by calibrating Night mode for 1080P/24 and Day mode for everything else, but who is going to want to give up their separate Day and Night modes to compensate for a design flaw? Are they going to be happy to spend the extra calibration time adjusting the 20 point adjustment twice? Im sure no one will mind switching back and forth between Day and Night modes depending on the scan rate they are watching.

With 1080P/24 input, black level measured .0228 fL. The 3x3 checkerboard measured .0274 fL black and 17.66 fL white, for a modified ANSI contrast ratio of 645:1.
With 1080i (or any scan rate other than 1080P/24), the black level measured .014 fL and the ANSI checked in at 1067:1, with a black measurement of .018 fL and white at 19.2 fL.

One technique some LG plasma owners have discovered is a hot-rodding procedure to lower the black levels and increase contrast. This procedure is documented on the forums, but its not authorized by LG and will probably void the warranty. Side effects and consequences of taking a new TV apart and adjusting service-only trim pots are a bit of an unknown and should be seriously considered before attempting. Needless to say, this procedure was not attempted on this review sample.

The 6700 showed high susceptibility to image retention with my test patterns, though the set was brand new and break in could alleviate that somewhat.

The screen blanked to a very, very dark black when no picture content was displayed. However, as soon as any content at all was displayed, the entire screens black level rose immediately. I had to trick the 6700 to get the pre-blanked black level measurement.

After Calibration:

With familiar Blu Ray program material, the 6700 showed excellent shadow detail. Dark objects in the picture had visible texture and looked very well balanced. The image had an excellent sense of depth and dimensionality; the flat, bland images I saw before calibration were totally gone and replaced with a lifelike envelopment. Skin tones looked natural despite a lingering politeness to the color. Dark scenes in movies are not this TVs strong point, but bright scenes had good pop thanks to the healthy light output.

The 6700 offers a good value, with impressive features and size for the money and very extensive calibration adjustments. The image is quite good overall, especially with sports or bright programming.

Soft drink manufacturers have the right idea when it comes to bringing back old classics; I like the throwback Pepsi that has real sugar like they used to use. The 6700 impressed me as a throwback in its own right: to a solid performer of 2 years ago, LGs own PK550. However, the question must be asked: should two years of technology bring more than 3D and smart features?

Code:
https://rapidshare.com/files/2449049306/LG 60PM6700 2.doc
https://rapidshare.com/files/1961408687/LG 60PM6700 ISF Day 60_24 Hz input difference.pdf
https://rapidshare.com/files/679748706/LG 60PM6700 ISF Day.pdf

Got to say that was a really helpful review. Considering it was the only thing I managed to find on the internet about this line of TVs (independant reviewer).

Anyway, Cheers Chad B and I hope this info will help others.

Oh, and Chad's linked files with regards to setting up the TV have been included (Not sure I can do that. If I can't sorry in advance mods - just remove them).

Mo.

How did you get John Lewis to price match, I just almost bought it from electro centre but would rather buy it from John Lewis, I've filled in their online form but did you have to do anything else?

How did you get John Lewis to price match, I just almost bought it from electro centre but would rather buy it from John Lewis, I've filled in their online form but did you have to do anything else?

That's all you do :) Fill in their never knowingly undersold form, wait a few days for a reply and then they'll send you your unique code. Then just call up and order.

looks very comparable to the Samsungs, 0.06cd/m2 blacks and decent brightness, aside from lack of filter looks a nice set

Afraid I'm going to have to remove myself from this thread as JL cocked up and I now have a 55LM960V instead :)

Nice, how much did you pay for that though?:smashin:

Last edited:
Any other owners have any comments? I may be ordering this set with the same price match with John Lewis as the OP.

Jacko371 said:
Any other owners have any comments? I may be ordering this set with the same price match with John Lewis as the OP.

This is from my post on the LG forum (Manufacturers Specific Forum) thread here at AVForums.

Just bought one of these to try it out. I'm coming from a full LED backlit TV (see signature). I've always been drawn to Plasma due to the 'naturalness' of the image - LCD always looks a bit hyper-real to me in terms of detail levels, and motion is compromised. I decided to take the punt on LG as Panny plasmas flicker and show green flashing on motion to my eyes (not talking about the 50hz issues) - I had a 2009-10 Panny plasma that I tried living with for 6 months before selling it on. I had something of a nightmare with Samsung CS on a LCD set a number of years ago, so vowed never to buy one of their sets again, so that only left LG.

So, what's it like? Well, as noted in the AV Forums review, the Achilles heel is black level response/contrast, which is enough to make images watchable, but could comfortably be outperformed by several edge-lit LCD sets. That, and the mirror reflective screen. However, motion is excellent, detail and colour great and the feature set stupendous. 3D performance was better than I was expecting, but then my expectations were pretty low. Glasses (LG's own) buzz annoyingly - take it this is a 'normal' feature of active tech? Have not done any gaming (worried about screen burn until the 100+ hours mark), so can't comment re: lag. My reactions are getting so slow that I may not notice the input lag anyway. :rolleyes:

In summary, the LG feels (and I'd argue looks) like a premium TV at a less than premium price. No TV is perfect (far from it in my experience), and I really wish black levels were better, but so far (note the caveat) this is looking very much like a keeper. Watching the Olympics on Freeview HD is hugely enjoyable, and that is without any calibration (just using minor tweaks on the default Expert settings re: keeping overall image brightness down while the set beds in). Likewise, movies are, well, very filmic. Watched Cloverfield recently and was blown away by how drawn into the movie I was and by how cinematic watching the screen felt. It handles 24hz flawlessly as far as I can see.

One other comment - temporary image retention seems to be an issue, at least from new. Can easily see trace images of menus, bars from 2.xx ratio movies, etc on a black screen when switching inputs. Disappears quickly, but noticeable none the less. Will this improve with time as the phosphors bed in? Anyone know, either with experience of this set or other LG plasmas?

Part of me wonders what the PM970 range is like, with the Tru Black filter. I had read some bad things about the 2011 filter from LG (did not add much to the black levels and was visible in daylight), so unless they have improved it, I doubt it makes much difference. Also, I think that chicken leg stand on the PM970 range is awful looking - much prefer the look of the PM670 range.

So, so far, so impressed. A great set at a great price. Oh, and Smart TV is excellent. Lovefilm in HD great.

Last edited:
I'm gonna get a 60"" one of these probably , got John Lewis to match the richer sounds price of £1099 , very interested to hear any more owners out there who have an opinion on this set

I bought the 60pm680t from richer sounds for £1150 with 2 pairs of glasses.
I will buy the extended warenty at a later date.
I did put a price match into john lewis for electro centre for the 670 but im impatient.

I am after a big screen with 3D and internet integrated, 60PM670T seems best choice at the moment. It is a great set at great price. I have seen the demo of LG's passive 3D and that looks great but TV size is 55" (I will be upgrading from 47"). None of the stores near me have got LG plasma with Active 3D on display. :(

Review comments from Barzo are really encouraging. Are there any more owners out there who can write a review or provide some comments?

Also how good/bad Active 3D as compared to Passive 3D? I know each have its own pros and cons but I want hear which one would you have preferred !

Cheers.....

I have the 50 inch 680T active. Active is much better if you're getting into 3D. It's flicker free now, and is full 1080p. Passive is 720p because of the screen filter and also you have poorer 2d image quality because of the polarising filter over the screen.

I have the 50 inch 680T active. Active is much better if you're getting into 3D. It's flicker free now, and is full 1080p. Passive is 720p because of the screen filter and also you have poorer 2d image quality because of the polarising filter over the screen.

Cheers !!! You have probably given me the last push required .....

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes !!! :thumbsup:

I got a 60 inch last week. Quite pleased with screen size. Movies are briliant. I upgraded from 47" LCD and picture is much better. Currently it is set at low settings (50% brightness, contrast ) so getting hit by a lot of reflection. Need to buy window blinds now !

Has anyone managed to connect one of these to a NAS HDD? (not by using PLEX). Can this be done?

the 60"" version is £999 from richer sounds now, ive submitted a price match with john lewis , if they do it ill be ordering one , theyre ringing me tomorrow morning so ill update the thread when i know for definite

I purchased the 50" a couple of weeks ago and have only been using it a couple of days as I only just got my cable installed. Have been using the cable and apple tv whilst I wait for the rest of my gear to arrive at my new flat. Was watching a film via apple tv when the tv decided to turn itself off and now I cannot get it to turn itself back on again. It makes a sort of tit noise, red light goes off and then makes a tat noise and turns off again a few seconds later. Have tried turning off at the wall for ten minutes and no joy.

I only have a week to report faults with the store so will have to ring LG tomorrow, this is really annoying as dealing with the store would have been a lot easier. Does anybody have any information so that I don't get the run around by LG when I call them. I can't believe a problem has come about after such a short period of time.

Mine is the 6700 model as I am in Singapore now but as far as I can make out it is the same as the 670T.

A quick search on the net has shown that this is a fairly common issue but have not managed to find a consensus on what the issue is.

Gutted.

I have the 50PM670T. So far the picture compares well with the 47LM620T I returned due to clouding and backlight issues.

I have got a problem with A/V sync when connected through my Pioneer amp via HDMI. I did email LG, but they replied that it's not a known fault. However, I have read the review on this forum that indicates otherwise. Too busy at work to fully investigate the problem, but hope to check again next week. I have reconnected everything through the TV and this appears to temporarily solve the problem.

The TV auto updated the firmware this morning. This appears to have introduced the random screeching/ loss of audio problem that I have read about, although I don't recall it being associated with this model.

Anyone else have any input?

Edit: firmware now .15

I have the 50PM670T. So far the picture compares well with the 47LM620T I returned due to clouding and backlight issues.

I have got a problem with A/V sync when connected through my Pioneer amp via HDMI. I did email LG, but they replied that it's not a known fault. However, I have read the review on this forum that indicates otherwise. Too busy at work to fully investigate the problem, but hope to check again next week. I have reconnected everything through the TV and this appears to temporarily solve the problem.

The TV auto updated the firmware this morning. This appears to have introduced the random screeching/ loss of audio problem that I have read about, although I don't recall it being associated with this model.

quite an exciting day for me today , i bought an lg60pm680t from richer sounds for £989 .
got it home and all set up and as above experienced horrendous lip synch issues with sky .
luckily my denon amp allows me to adjust audio delay/lip synch and after some fine tuning its spot on , dissapointing but at least its a workaround.
other than that im mega impressed wit the picture etc , ive had to go for a wired connection though as the wifi doesnt like my router for some reason

Qublai said:

I posted something yesterday, but it did not appear (Android app a bit flakey, methinks). Anyway, was going to say lipsync is a problem if you connect a source directly. The Pioneer receiver should have either manual lipsync adjustment, or, even better, auto lipsync. Probably buried in the set up menus somewhere. I use auto lipsync with my Yamaha receiver and have no problems.

Re losing sound and screeching with the internal tuner. This is a known issue - I started the poll thread on the LG forum (Manufacturer forums) here. So far, LG don't appear to recognise that this is a fault.

Barzo said:
I posted something yesterday, but it did not appear (Android app a bit flakey, methinks). Anyway, was going to say lipsync is a problem if you connect a source directly. The Pioneer receiver should have either manual lipsync adjustment, or, even better, auto lipsync. Probably buried in the set up menus somewhere. I use auto lipsync with my Yamaha receiver and have no problems.

Re losing sound and screeching with the internal tuner. This is a known issue - I started the poll thread on the LG forum (Manufacturer forums) here. So far, LG don't appear to recognise that this is a fault.

I had problems with lip synch and I use my amp for hdmi switching ie the source is not directly connected

robsonj said:
I had problems with lip synch and I use my amp for hdmi switching ie the source is not directly connected

Unless your amp has auto lipsync correction you'll need to set the delay manually on the amp otherwise it acts as a switch, so would be the same as connecting directly.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom