• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG 50pk350 or Panny 42g20b

shepster34

Hi

Ive narrowed it down to these 2 tv's from sampling at retail outlets. My budget was originally around £750 mark but for a good tv i can stretch a bit more which is why ive singled the panny 42g20b instead of its 46inch bigger brother which is out of my budget. As i want value for money ive narrowed it down to the PK350 as i will not use any of the extra features of the pk590 and its £180 cheaper. So its one of these two.

currently

50pk350 is £629 (plus £63 for 5 year guarantee)
42g20b is £829 (plus £83 for 5 year guarantee)

Looks wise, The PK350 wins hands down with its razor frame and i can just about get away with a 50 inch with the tiny edging in my room. With the much thicker Panasonic bezel the few extra inches i think will be too much so either a 42 or 46 inch is more suited.

The panasonic display in currys seemed smoother as i believe the retailer had the IFC set to on which acted like a 100hz lcd. However, i understand many owners of this tv disable the setting to look more natural. I dont believe the pk350 has this type of option available.

My usage will be

50% HD viewing from Sky HD (mainly soaps and movies)
30% SD viewing of other non hd channels
20% Blu-ray and gaming via the ps3 and wii.

i do intend to use mkv's which the LG plays and the panasonic does not. However, i can always convert to be able to be played via ps3 so not a massive issue

The 2 worrys are image retention on both sets, though i hear Panny is best for IR, and failing blacks on the Panasonic tv (which may or may not affect the 2010 editions, though i believe Panasonic said it will but more gradual).

Advice would be appreciated as im stuck between value for money and quality. Should i also include the panny s20 in my choice?

Shep

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom