LG 50PC55 plasma compared to todays standards

DennisClaes

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm interessted in the LG 50PC55, I saw one in the store for 1300 euro (I think that's about 760 pounds), but I couldn't really judge it because they had about 15 screen hooked to one DVD-player, playing "finding nemo". So a few questions:

1) once it was a really good tv (I've read), but is this still true? (giving that about a year has passed)

2) I will be about 3 meters (9 feet) from the screen, is this far enough? Or do I really need to buy a smaller one? (I like a big one)

3) people warn me about screen burn, but they talk about "a few hours", but is this 2 hours? 10 hours? 20 hours? How long can you watch a station with a logo for without having image retention? And if you have image retention, how long does it take to go away? And is it really so obvious?

My usage: tv (digital tv, but some recordings will be analogue), gaming (PS2) and for hooking it up to my PC.

Hmm, the LG 50PC1D was supposed to be a good telly too, but IMO, was probably the worst plasma I ever saw set up in someones house. I just couldn't improve the picture, no matter what settings I used, absolutely awful and a total waste of money, IMO. :thumbsdow

I'd be dubious about that model, unless they've come on in leaps and bounds, which I very much doubt.

9ft is plenty for a decent 50", but it wasn't enough for the model I mention here.

I've had a fixed screen left on overnight, with no problem whatsoever.
It really seems to be down to the individual screen. Make and model has nothing to do with it. Most are perfectly fine, but an odd one (in a thousand) will suffer.

Oh, that surprises me, that you really didn't like the tv. But I appreciate your honest opinion. I am however very glad to hear that image retention doesn't just happen after 4 hours or so. I hope I get more user opinions on the plasma itself.

Oh, I also wanted a tv with Picture in Picture. I didn't find this in the specifications for this one, but I read a user review at ciao.com that said it was present. Can anybody confirm this?

Oh, that surprises me, that you really didn't like the tv. But I appreciate your honest opinion. I am however very glad to hear that image retention doesn't just happen after 4 hours or so. I hope I get more user opinions on the plasma itself.

My comments were purely about the 50PC1D mate, I don't know about the 50PC55.

It may well be a very good telly.
But I doubt it.

I would take no notice of reviews at Ciao, personally and just go straight to the LG site and look at the manual. LG are very good in that sense :smashin:

Yes, opinions are what it's all about and seeing as I've not even seen that screen, mine counts for not a lot.

Woops, indeed, I must've read it too fast.

Keep in mind though that I don't know anything about tv's (ignorance is bless :) ), I don't really care if the black is not really black. If the picture quality is even slightly better then my JVC CRT 30" television, then I'm happy. I'm mainly concerned about blocked images, fast actions that produces blurs, connectivity on my PC (on my analogue CRT I can't even read the letters if I connect it to my tv) ... And just mainly that I don't want to buy a new tv in 3 years because mine can't cope with the current technology.

I also would still like confirmation from somebody if this tv has picture in picture. I tried the website of LG, but the 50PC55 is not presented on the site.

Edit: correction, on the belgian site it's not present anymore, but on the english site, I found it: http://uk.lge.com/products/model/detail/plasmatv_50pc55.jhtml# However, the picture in picture feature is not discussed in the specifications, so I would still like to hear from that from somebody.

Edit2: just found on this forum that the PG55 does not support PIP

Well, IMO, I can't think of any flat screen that could match your CRT.

If you're looking to avoid blockiness and motion blur.......
on the whole, you should be looking at plasma.

I'm not au fait with computer connectivity, but my understanding is that LCDs are much better in that sense.
Whatever, I believe you need to look for 1:1 pixel matching, to get the best results.

If you aren't bothered about black levels, I would really have a good look around and decide for youself.
I've recently bought a Panny, but wish I had bought an Hitachi :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom