LG 50NANO866PA Blurring when using Xbox Series X - new HDMI cable?

AtomicHobo

Novice Member
LG 50NANO866PA Blurring when using Xbox Series X - new HDMI cable?
Recent purchase. Overall I'm really happy with the set, coming from a 40" Samsung.
I have noticed that the Series X seems to blur quite a bit. Especially in darker games or cell-shaded, like Borderlands, you can see the black outlines smear as though the response time isn't fast enough. Is there a way to fix it or is it inherent in the LCD panel?
The issue doesn't appear to happen when watching Netflix or Apple TV+ in WebOS which suggests its between the X and the TV
I've watched several set up videos for TV and Series X, none of which refer to this issue.
Is it down to a faulty HDMI (or cheap HDMI cable?). I have swapped out the HDMI (each one I tried was 2.1 'approved').
I'll happily buy a decent cable if that will fix it.

next010

Distinguished Member
There are reports online the 50NANO866PA uses a VA panel and not IPS which is what LG LED TV's typically use.

VA panels have better contrast performance but weak response times which causes blacks to smear so that is most likely what your seeing. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it.

if your running your Xbox at 60hz try the 120hz output instead or vice versa, it depends on how LG have tuned the panels overdrive, it might have less smearing in 60 or 120hz.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
It is unlikely to be the HDMI cable, they either work or don't. If it is not working then you will get noticeable issues like sparklies (white pixels), a black screen or it struggling to sync and the TV will lose the entire signal and then come back.

I notice that there are 4 HDMI inputs on your TV of which only 2 are 2.1 so make sure you have plugged it in the right one.

The cable with the Xbox is more than adequate for everything you can throw at it unless you need a longer one. In which case buy one that is Ultra High Speed certified, should come complete with a QR code as per this. There are some for very sensible prices but there is a lot of marketing waffle and rubbish around.

AtomicHobo

Novice Member
It is unlikely to be the HDMI cable, they either work or don't. If it is not working then you will get noticeable issues like sparklies (white pixels), a black screen or it struggling to sync and the TV will lose the entire signal and then come back.

I notice that there are 4 HDMI inputs on your TV of which only 2 are 2.1 so make sure you have plugged it in the right one.

The cable with the Xbox is more than adequate for everything you can throw at it unless you need a longer one. In which case buy one that is Ultra High Speed certified, should come complete with a QR code as per this. There are some for very sensible prices but there is a lot of marketing waffle and rubbish around.

Thanks, cables I have used are the one supplied with the xbox and as you said one I bought from amazon with the QR code and hologram thing. I couldn't see a difference and I am using the 2.1 port

AtomicHobo

Novice Member
I switched off HDMI Deep Colour (which seems to disable VRR etc) and the blurring disappears which suggests its related to VRR somehow.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I switched off HDMI Deep Colour (which seems to disable VRR etc) and the blurring disappears which suggests its related to VRR somehow.

Seem to be similar issues with other people reporting VRR issues and when on it increases the gamma so you might be seeing the impact of it. Unfortunately can't see anybody suggesting a fix other than either disabling VRR or I guess what you are doing :( It seems to do it on other LG TVs as well. :(

Sorry I guess that doesn't really help :(

AtomicHobo

Novice Member
Seem to be similar issues with other people reporting VRR issues and when on it increases the gamma so you might be seeing the impact of it. Unfortunately can't see anybody suggesting a fix other than either disabling VRR or I guess what you are doing :( It seems to do it on other LG TVs as well. :(

Sorry I guess that doesn't really help :(
Na, that's cool, I appreciate the feedback. My feeling is VRR doesn't really make much different anyway, certainly where most games are 'upgrades' rather than full next gen

next010

Distinguished Member
Na, that's cool, I appreciate the feedback. My feeling is VRR doesn't really make much different anyway, certainly where most games are 'upgrades' rather than full next gen
Instant game response is what controls HDMI-VRR support on the TV but you should be able to simply turn if off on the console side.

Having to turn off ultra deep colour that removes blur and smearing is very unusual, that setting enables 4K RGB 60hz and 4K HDR on the TV.

AtomicHobo

Novice Member
I've attached a couple of GIFS of the effect. The gif conversion has slowed it down but emphasises the effect.

AtomicHobo

Novice Member
Instant game response is what controls HDMI-VRR support on the TV but you should be able to simply turn if off on the console side.

Having to turn off ultra deep colour that removes blur and smearing is very unusual, that setting enables 4K RGB 60hz and 4K HDR on the TV.
I switched off VRR on the Xbox and the issue has gone. Clearly some incompatibility somewhere. Still 120hz and Dolby Vision. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom