LG 50LB650B (WebOS) or Panasonic 50AS650B (freetime)

MrMav11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe...down to these 2 TVs now. Thinking maybe a 50" TV is now better fit than a 55". So the LG 50LB650B is £900, and the Panasonic 50AS650B is £979 (inc Panny cash back).

Panasonic has more features I think with freetime, My stream, TV anywhere, USB recording, whereas the LG has new WebOS that may add features over time?

I've looked at others, but I definitely want Passive 3D, smart TV, sources are Virgin V+ box! and a PS3. Panasonics come with a 5 year guarantee wherever buy at moment from Panasonic, whereas I can only find Currys selling the LG and would only be a 1 year which I wouldn't really be happy with.

Thanks

Did you notice this 55" lg model at John lewis Buy LG 55LA620V LED HD 1080p 3D Smart TV, 55" with Freeview HD and 4x 3D Glasses online at John Lewis

Now I,m fairly certain it was £900 the other day and now it's £799,don't know much about them so will on some research but that's £100 cheaper than the panny 55et60b
Think it's reduced your right but it doesn't come with magic remote and has poor motion of 100Hz think, and older 2013 model. It was firstly between this and the 55" 690v in currys but wanted 5 yr warranty. Have to say that's a good price for what in it though

I've decided on the Panny AS650B 50". Playing (briefly) with the LG WebOS, although the shop WiFi wasn't really working it was hanging all the time. Think it was mostly to so with this as otherwise it seemed a bit slow. I think as it's new it's going to need a few updates before it becomes better.

I went with the Panny for the features it has, all catchup services, TV anywhere, USB recording/playback, SD slot.

Hope I've made the right decision!

Last edited:
You getting it soon? Be interested to know your thoughts on it ,though I,m fairly certain I,ll be going the 55" route but finances won't stretch to one of the new panasonics ,be either the et or dt model.

Getting next week. Remember there's a £100 cashback on the AS650 to although have to pay upfront then claim back.

Indeed ,I can buy a new 50" or last years 55" for the same price after my partners discount is taken into consideration ,it's very tempting to go the 50" route but I have a youview box so free time isn't a consideration for me . It's all about picture quality in my book ,sound won't be an issue as I,m going 5.1 anyway .

Well I agree, I also have a V+ box but to be honest I think I'd prefer to drop it and use freeview if can, but that's in future maybe.

Sound I have a soundbar, although I think TVs now have much better sound than used to so not bothered.

Obviously buying a TV it should be about picture quality, this I can't comment on as no reviews, in shop all the TVs looked stunning to me. But I presume it's going to be a decent picture, it's a new 2014 set, motion rate is 1200Hz says (I'd imagine it's simulated not sure what native rate is-anyone?) so hopefully motion rate should be good to.

Personally I'd prefer the newer set with added features, that you may not use now but will in future. If the 55" had been a little cheaper I would have probably got to, but it's bigger than have now so will be better that way, few years but bigger again if need to.

I think it's a good purchase ,like you say it's a step up from what you have now and it's a good deal cheaper than the 55" .
By the way the panasonic website has manuals and you tube promos up on site now .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom