LG 50CP55 plasma cracked overnight

TVrepairman000

Hi

Have an LG 50CP55 plamsa TV and it was in use and working fully till i turned it off at plug (not left in standby) and went to bed.

The next day I walked into lounge and found it had cracked from about 2 inched forn top right corner to middle bottom edge.

I have no idea how this has happend it has not been moved or touched since I bought it well over 18 months ago never even dusted the screen.

Unit is now out of warranty by 6 months typical!

Anyone know why it has done this, heat ?

Since I saw the crack I have not switched it back on so all boards will be ok.

Anyone know what will happen if I turn it on and see what it does, would some areas of the pannel work like a crack LCD does or would it cause damage to the boards inside which I could possibly sell ?

jackobite

Hi

Have an LG 50CP55 plamsa TV and it was in use and working fully till i turned it off at plug (not left in standby) and went to bed.

The next day I walked into lounge and found it had cracked from about 2 inched forn top right corner to middle bottom edge.

I have no idea how this has happend it has not been moved or touched since I bought it well over 18 months ago never even dusted the screen.

Unit is now out of warranty by 6 months typical!

Since I saw the crack I have not switched it back on so all boards will be ok.

Anyone know what will happen if I turn it on and see what it does, would some areas of the pannel work like a crack LCD does or would it cause damage to the boards inside which I could possibly sell ?
is there anybody else living in the house?...i dont think it would crack by just COOLING down..but im no expert..in anything.AH. but it seems to me someone!! may have had a wee accident,WHO?..but as i say im no expert...also have you any animals in the house...a cat..or dog we had a dog that would always run to the back of the tv...and later on a cat that would lie across the video....or could be BIG mice...anyway hope you can get it fixed jackobite.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member

I really can't see this at all. I've never heard of a screen cracking without a reason.
I can confirm from personal experience that it takes major trauma to cause that type of damage. Either major flexing when laid down during transport or being hit with something heavy and very hard.

I'm very tempted to agree with Jackobite, tbh.

TVrepairman000

Hi

No I am being serious, I was the only person in the house that night and I have no pets unless my exotic fish are to blaim.:)

TV has not been moved and has only ever had a duster run over it, there is nothing above it to fall, its not near a radiator, the inbuilt TV stand is stuck to my glass stand so it has not fallen off that, the front glass is fine, I rearly don't understand it.:rolleyes:

The only thing I can think of is an inperfection in the PDP glass its self or possibly the case as warped / shrunk some how and eeked the glass.

Anyway Im gonna take her apart (as i have to get it into car to take down tip) and have a look to see if I can see anything that may have caused this as its now a bin job, just have to remove it from my stand, the feet have stuck well, its rock solid.

Wheeled in the CRT projector from the games room and set that up for now but its a bit big.

Cheers

TVrepairman000

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I'd get in touch with LG in that case and ask politely but firmly, what's going on.

Although it's only warrantied for a year or whatever, a plasma is expected to last a lot longer than that. I read an article the other day that said a washing machine under the Sale of Goods act should reasonably last 6 years, for instance.

Don't strip it yet, get in touch with LG to see what they say and seek advice from CAB or similar, IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom