LG 50" PG7000 Screen Burn - I refuse to Believe it ??

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by MurphmanL, Feb 12, 2009.

1. MurphmanL

MurphmanL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi All,

Ive switched to a plasma recently again after a bowt of LCD and have plummed for the PG7000.

Thoroughly satisfied with it until about 3 hours ago when I turned by chance the White wash function on in the menu and found I had screen burn on the left side of the screen !

HUD marks from playing too much call of duty 4 :-/
    I just dont understand, usually I only play for no more than 2 hours at a time, with breaks inbetween matches for intermission, lobby etc.

Im on power saver 4/4 level and brightness / contrast are under 50% and yet here i sit watching the screen washer trying to remove the traces of the radar :-(
    Ive had it going for the past half hour and while it is disappearing, some of the outline is really harshly engraved, and dont seemto be going !

Can it really be permanent after such a short time, or should I be leaving this screen washer on for absolutely ages ? Can any PG7000 owners comment?

My Sammy PS50Q97 froma few years ago didnt burn like this !! I refuse to believe such a modern tv can burn in so easily :-S

Anyone care to offer advice? :-( gutted if the hud wont go away....:lease:

2. funkyspider

funkyspider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    Can you see it when watching normal TV. If not then just watch TV and hopefully it should fade after a while.

My panasonic gets image retention from the COD HUD, but its only visible on a black (no input) screen so I dont worry about it and it disapears when watching TV.

2 hours on a new plasma is quite a long time for a game with HUD. returning to the lobby between games wont really make much difference as there's not much displayed in the HUD position, so you've effectively had a solid HUD for say 1.5 hours.

If LG have included a screen wipe function specifically to remove retained images then that should tell you that they expect it to happen.

3. CheesyPuff

CheesyPuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I was considering getting a 60pg7000 myself as they are a lot of tv for the money but it was LG's reputation for image retention which eventually put me off.

Most other makes of plasma now are very resistant to screen burn but even LG's latest sets like the PG7000 still seem prone to image retention and possibly permenant burn in.

If my memory serves me right HDTV Test found image retention with the PG7000 during therir review and that was even with the set properly calibrated so I dont think its to be unexpected.

All you can really do is keep running the anti burn in measures and keep your fingers crossed it isnt permenant.

4. CheesyPuff

CheesyPuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  5. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Generally you should be ok with IR as long as you don't put any harsh static logos on screen for a long time in its early days, how long have you had it? I am suprised to see that for only 2 hours, my 32PG6000 only had very mild IR after an hour on cod4, and that washed away after about a minute of regular TV, it's only had 20 hours of life and I'm not using running in settings either.

I'd turn the whitewash off now if it's been on that long though, put on some regular TV

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Temporary image retention is different to burn dont woory too much

7. CheesyPuff

CheesyPuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Didnt mean to panic you by mentioning screen burn, as others have said it is most likely just image retention which will probably clear up in a few hours. Even LG's should be pretty resillient to any permenant damage even if they are prone to retention.