LG 49UH750V audio passthrough?

ReZel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello i have a problem and the more i try and read about it the more confused i get so i was hoping i could get some help and advice to sort this mess out

I just gave my older LG 49UH750V 4K TV to my parents because i was not using it anymore it and took up too much space and their TV was really old so they got a better TV and i got some space back and everybody is happy untill a problem came up

Anyway its a 4K TV but since they are still using their ancient Denon-AVR-2310 receiver from 2009 it has bugger all 4K support and they are very disappointed by this and the fact that they got a 4K TV but cant watch anything higher than 1080P

They use an Apple TV box not sure what model it is but what i told them you might be able to do and i am really not sure if you actually do this is plug the Apple box into the TV with an HDMI cable and then use an SPDIF cable out of the TV and into the receiver the TV does have an SPDIF out port and the receiver does have two SPDIF inputs

Would this work or is there a better way to do this?
Long story short i need to bypass the receiver and use the TV to pass audio from the Apple box to the receiver using the TV as a passthrough

I have seen you can buy spliter boxes that split the audio and video into two cables one HDMI into the TV for video and one SPDIF into the receiver
Such a box is not cheap so i was hoping there was a way to do it with either HDMI or SPDIF cable(s)

PS HDMI port two on the TV is marked ARC and from what i read is short for Audio Return Channel so could i use that instead of SPDIF?

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes you can use HDMI-ARC or optical (SPDIF).

on TV
set output as HDMI-ARC or optical
set digital sound output = auto
simplink should be enabled (to control AVR)
on AVR
ensure Setup-Video Setup-HDMI Setup-HDMI Control = On

The ATV will send PCM 2.0 stereo or Dolby 5.1 audio.

They must have the AppleTV 4k set top box gen 1 or gen 2 to output 4K video, the earlier versions of ATV are 1080p only.

If they do have the 4K version I would suggest manually setting the output of the box to 4K SDR 60hz and turn on match dynamic range/refresh in ATV video settings, this will make it switch between SDR/HDR based on the source instead of by defaulting forcing HDR on for everything.

I dont know what version that box other than its an Apple TV box of some sort

I dont watch anything from TV nor HBO or Netflix or any of the others myself i only watch Youtube Curiositystream, Magellantv and Wondrium from my PC so i dont know a ton about Hifi TV´s and AV i am a PC guy for the most part

Because my GPU only has one HDMI port i am using optical SPDIF from the PC to the receiver to get sound so thats why i know it works with audio its not as good as HDMI i know but getting a new GPU during the shortage at MRSP is mission impossible

I did plan on getting a new receiver also but there is a waiting list that is weeks if not months long

Does the 2009 Denon AVR-2310 offer HDMI ARC? If not, you'll have to use optical SPDIF.

No port on it is marked ARC which made me assume that SPDIF was the only way i could get it to work
Like i said i have never tried using a TV as a passthrough so my theory was it it should work

Another forum seems to say it does have ARC, optical and ARC support the same digital audio formats so its no difference but ARC does have control over the AVR for auto power on/off and volume if its supported.

From what i read SPDIF is limited to dolby digtal 5,1 because of its limited bandwidth and does not support any of the HD audio formats like DTS HD, Dolby Atmos and those other HD Audio standards i cant recall the names of

HDMI does suport HD audio so its better than SPDIF but i dont know what ARC on the TV or the receiver supports all i know that when i looked it up the receiver said HDMI 1,3

SPDIF seems like it would be less of a hassle i know how it works and how to set it up and since the speakers are 16 years old i dont think it matters all that much if its HD audio or not

Edit: this is what the receiver supports

Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD™ Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD™ High Resolution Audio, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES™, Pro Logic® IIx, Pro Logic® IIz and DTS Neo:6 decoding

I plan on buying a new receiver next year and i am going to give my parents my Onkyo TX-NR646 from 2015 its not a great or brand new receiver but its 6 years newer than the old Denon and does support 4K

Last edited:
In order to pass 'lossless' multi-channel audio formats from the TV (ie: Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD-MA and LPCM) both the TV and AVR have to support 'HDMI eARC'.

Technically, an optical SPDIF connection from the TV to the AVR should offer the simplest method of connection. Which can be enabled via the TV's 'Sound Out' options using the remote control.

When i had the TV i downloaded the Amazon Prime app to watch the Grand Tour and because it was a TV app the only sound i got was from the crappy TV speakers so i hooked the TV up to my Onkyo TX-NR646 and my Dali speakers using an SPDIF cable and got better sound that way

Unless they changed the TV settings the TV should still be set to optical sound out but i am going to double check

I also talked with them and they said that its an older version of the Apple box which means its probably 1080P only but they did plan on buying the newest version of the Apple box at some later date

Already bought a HDMI 2,0 cable and an SPDIF cable so in any case i can set it up when they want

Just so you know... Some of the 2016 LG televisions now offer the 'Apple TV+' app for download ;)

Just so you know... Some of the 2016 LG televisions now offer the 'Apple TV+' app for download ;)
Just looked that up and Apple says its only from 2018 LG TV models and onwards that they have the app for and the LG UH750 is not on their list

How odd... I have the Apple TV+ app working on both of my 2016 LG televisions.

How odd... I have the Apple TV+ app working on both of my 2016 LG televisions.
I am am calling them later for something else so i am going to ask them to check the TV app page
I know it has Amazon Prime on it because that was the one app i ever used on that TV

Edit: turns out you actually can download the Apple app for older LG TV´s but its limited to film and series and not live TV at least not here in Denmark according to what Apple says so i already know they are going to say they would rather keep the box or buy a new box if they cant watch TV with the app

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom