LG 48-inch CX (OLED48CX) TV Review & Comments

This is pretty weird logic. You think the price of a luxury item should come down in price significantly because people are losing their jobs???? They can't benefit from that price drop so what's your point? Those who still have a job get a better deal on a luxury item??
I’m afraid your statement to the effect that a 48” TV is a “luxury item” defies all logic and shows that you haven’t a clue what the definition of a luxury item is.

I’m afraid your statement to the effect that a 48” TV is a “luxury item” defies all logic and shows that you haven’t a clue what the definition of a luxury item is.

Nope, it's completely logical to describe it as a luxury item. You can pick up an equivalent sized 4k TV for < £400 now. You don't need OLED. You don't need HDMI2.1. You don't need Dolby Vision. Hence, they are luxuries if you can afford them. Your ad hominem response has fallen short my friend.

Last edited:
Thank you for the review.

I don't really pay any attention to the scoring for my own decision-making, but I have to question how you can give a TV a 9 overall when it doesn't have 4 of the 5 major catch up services?

That is an absolutely huge oversight that is very important for a large number of consumers looking for a high end TV.

If manufacturers were marked down more significantly for such omissions (which almost certainly come down to cost savings), perhaps they'd be less likely to inconvience the consumers buying the sets.

The majority of people who walk into Curry's or John Lewis to buy a TV don't want to get home to find out they can't watch any catch up TV without adding an external device.

I would suggest those people would be pretty miffed to find the score of 9 out of 10 ignored the fact that a basic feature found on most sets for 25% of the price was absent.
I think you are absolutely correct in that pretty basic catch up services should be the first thing manufacturers include!

The politics behind channel provision (no C4HD or catch up on Freesat infuriates me), region coding, content/format wars etc always ends up with consumers and manufacturers worse off (why don’t they learn from the success of CDs back in the day?).

It does seem bizarre you can purchase a 4K tiny Roku box for £40 and legally watch all the catch up services and more when £1500 only gets you iPlayer.

I’m certain there are reasons and support Mr Hinton’s review rationale (everyone reading this will have an alternative means than the TV to watch catch up - unless perhaps its a second screen in a diff room?) but..... if it’s about selling panels many would give this one a miss in favour of something better connected (esp if perhaps buying with or for the older generation who in my humble don’t cope well with AV inputs and other devices)?

Just my two penneth - stay safe everyone.

I would’ve thought for the bad would’ve been picture noise. Every OLED I have owned suffers terribly from this.

I want to buy 48" CX to use with my PC. Question to owners. How is the TV behaving after you had it for a while now? Are you still happy with the purchase?

On the subject of size, I use an LG C9 55" as a desktop PC monitor. I've measured the distance between the screen and my eyes at 70cm, and it doesn't feel uncomfortable at all. I checked with my optometrist about whether there are any issues with sitting at this distance, and he said it would be fine. Note that I also use an adjustable desk which allows me to lower the screen so that my eyes are dead centre of the screen. Overall, I'm blown away by the immersion offered with a display that fills so much of my field of view. If you're worried about it being too big, don't - if the 55" is comfortable, the 48" will be. I wouldn't go any bigger than 55" though, unless you can get a curved screen. If LG released a curved 65" display, I'd be first in line!

As for image retention, I've racked up 2000 hours or so in the past year (I game a LOT!) and have absolutely zero retention that I can see.

I should point out that I also have the LG CX 77" in my living room, which I use for both video content viewing, and gaming from the couch (I use the Xbox Elite 2 controller, and a wireless mouse/keyboard combo), but am having major issues because I didn't have the right cable. I've got a 15m Ruipro 48Gbps on the way today which should fix that.

Grabbing 1 of these for my 3090 pc setup. Hoping they are £1200 black Friday

Grabbing 1 of these for my 3090 pc setup. Hoping they are £1200 black Friday
Just be aware that you may have issues if you want to run a long cable. I can't get my CX to do 120Hz 4K, or 4K 60Hz with HDR, over a 15m Ruipro 48Gbps cable - it simply will not allow me to choose either without the display turning black, or the windows setting not sticking.

Just be aware that you may have issues if you want to run a long cable. I can't get my CX to do 120Hz 4K, or 4K 60Hz with HDR, over a 15m Ruipro 48Gbps cable - it simply will not allow me to choose either without the display turning black, or the windows setting not sticking.

Only like 3m cable for me. Is that the green ruipro cable u have?

Yep, it sure is. I also had the 2m Ruipro 48Gbps cable to connect the 3090 to my 55" C9, but that didn't work so I returned it for a $300 refund. I then bought a generic $40 48Gbps cable that works pretty much perfectly, with the occasional drop out. HDMI 2.1 seems to be an absolute minefield at the moment, especially with the RTX 3000 series and the LG C9/CX TVs. Good luck with yours!

What impact does the loss of onboard support for DTS audio decoding represent for the 'average' user, who likely has only the TV and a 4K player with perhaps a soundbar connected?

I have looked into it a little, and the impression I was left with is that would only be an issue if you have a library of media where the audio is primarily encoded in this format (converted blu-rays?), but I couldn't determine if a more comprehensive home theatre system with a decoder(?) could compensate for this.

Still torn between my maker of preference, Sony 48” , or this LG. Motion control on Sony’s has always been superior. I don’t game or watch Sky, just Netflix and Prime so burn in isn’t an issue although I do think current 4K LEDs are more than good enough. The cost benefit of OLED for the likes of me don’t seem worth the considerable extra cost

Still torn between my maker of preference, Sony 48” , or this LG. Motion control on Sony’s has always been superior. I don’t game or watch Sky, just Netflix and Prime so burn in isn’t an issue although I do think current 4K LEDs are more than good enough. The cost benefit of OLED for the likes of me don’t seem worth the considerable extra cost

Yeah thats the rub. The cost is high.... but.... I bought a 55inch B6 in 2016 for ££££ and dont regret it at all. The picture is incredible

Hi All
Seriously considering getting this TV next week, I've been hoping someone would bring out a high quality 48"TV, not everyone has the room for a 55".
Think looking at the amount of people showing an interest on this TV at Curry's, Richersounds, and John Lewis LG and Sony might just have opened up the market and realised that people do want a high quality smaller TV.

Regards
KeithW

nice review!

unfortunately 99% of the people living on earth have been very disappointed with the TV...
why ? price ! it is way too expensive and in many countries the 48" costs more than the 55" !

INSANE !
If you live in a house that doesn’t have a lounge the size of a football pitch, it’s actually a fantastic solution and I’ll be ordering one. Good work LG.

I have, I’m sure, an unhealthy obsession with no motion blur or flickering. Something I’ve never had with any Sony TV as they have always been the best for this. However, given the massive price difference between the LG and the Sony I am tempted to break the habit of a lifetime if I do go OLED instead of LED and buy the LG.
The review is a bit vague IMO on this and I would have liked a comparison with the Sony as a benchmark. Hopefully someone will give a real world comparison soon

Anyone know why this tv is sold out everywhere except currys?

I reckon these will be sold out everywhere black friday. Everyone will want one for next gen gaming and as a pc monitor

Anyone know why this tv is sold out everywhere except currys?

I reckon these will be sold out everywhere black friday. Everyone will want one for next gen gaming and as a pc monitor

Currys have their own exclusive model for the time being, all other retailers are due to sell them from 24th October onwards (slightly different model number)

Currys have their own exclusive model for the time being, all other retailers are due to sell them from 24th October onwards (slightly different model number)

Thank you

Hi All
Seriously considering getting this TV next week, I've been hoping someone would bring out a high quality 48"TV, not everyone has the room for a 55".
Think looking at the amount of people showing an interest on this TV at Curry's, Richersounds, and John Lewis LG and Sony might just have opened up the market and realised that people do want a high quality smaller TV.

Regards
KeithW

With the apparent popularity of the 48" OLED's this year it will be interesting to see what 2021 brings in terms of smaller screen size OLED's.

I'm in two minds whether to get the 48" one as PC monitor or go for 55" instead. It's cheaper and available now. I can just fit 55" on my desk. Will 55 be too big to sit close to?

I'm in two minds whether to get the 48" one as PC monitor or go for 55" instead. It's cheaper and available now. I can just fit 55" on my desk. Will 55 be too big to sit close to?

There's no way I could watch my 55inch B6 at any distance less than around 7ft - its too intense

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom