LG 48-inch CX (OLED48CX) TV Review & Comments

I'm in two minds whether to get the 48" one as PC monitor or go for 55" instead. It's cheaper and available now. I can just fit 55" on my desk. Will 55 be too big to sit close to?

You need a very deep desk otherwise you will be way too close. I would love a 55 but my desk is only 80cm deep so the distance isnt enough so have to buy a 48

I'm in two minds whether to get the 48" one as PC monitor or go for 55" instead. It's cheaper and available now. I can just fit 55" on my desk. Will 55 be too big to sit close to?

Your eyes will be begging for mercy! 🥺

The TV won't actually be my main display. It will be a 3rd screen. My main monitor, directly in front of me is a 30" PC monitor (I need a pro monitor for colour accurate work), to the right is a 24" monitor in portrait mode to help with Photoshop work, to my left at the moment is a 46" LCD TV which I use for media consumption and gaming. It sits at an angle across my desk facing me. The 48" LG OLED is actually the same dimensions as my current 46" TV because of thin bezels. 55" I could just get in to fit, it will be a bit of a squeeze but I can manage.

The size does not bother me TBH. I have always had large screens on my desk (I still remember people telling me that 30" monitor will be way too big for desk use a few years back when 24" was most popular size, I sit less than 2 feet away from 30" screen). When I do use the TV, I usually kick the chair back a couple of feet and watch / game sitting back on my reclining chair. I'm worried a bit about seeing pixels hence the question.

The TV won't actually be my main display. It will be a 3rd screen. My main monitor, directly in front of me is a 30" PC monitor (I need a pro monitor for colour accurate work), to the right is a 24" monitor in portrait mode to help with Photoshop work, to my left at the moment is a 46" LCD TV which I use for media consumption and gaming. It sits at an angle across my desk facing me. The 48" LG OLED is actually the same dimensions as my current 46" TV because of thin bezels. 55" I could just get in to fit, it will be a bit of a squeeze but I can manage.

The size does not bother me TBH. I have always had large screens on my desk (I still remember people telling me that 30" monitor will be way too big for desk use a few years back when 24" was most popular size, I sit less than 2 feet away from 30" screen). When I do use the TV, I usually kick the chair back a couple of feet and watch / game sitting back on my reclining chair. I'm worried a bit about seeing pixels hence the question.

I personally think its too close otherwise i would do the same as the 55 is cheaper and bigger

I want to buy 48" CX to use with my PC. Question to owners. How is the TV behaving after you had it for a while now? Are you still happy with the purchase?

For day to day PC work you need a 2.1 HDmi video card. Assuming a high refresh rate the difference of 444 to 422 for text is significant. Gaming is fine. Ironically I would get a new video card for 2d rather than 3d.

Last edited:
For day to day PC work you need a 2.1 HDmi video card. The difference of 444 to 422 for text is significant. Gaming is fine. Ironically I would get a new video card for 2d rather than 3d.
I will be building a new PC later this year / beginning of 2021 once 3080 cards (with HDMI 2.1) become more available.

Potentially dumb question...

If i buy this (or similar) how do it get the sound out of the TV to my AVR when using apps eg DD+ out of Disney + ? Would the TV have a HDMI out ? Assume old style digital interconnects wouldn't support ?

Thanks

MB

Potentially dumb question...

If i buy this (or similar) how do it get the sound out of the TV to my AVR when using apps eg DD+ out of Disney + ? Would the TV have a HDMI out ? Assume old style digital interconnects wouldn't support ?

Thanks

MB

Answer to that would be you would plug your receiver into the e-ARC HDMI port (usually HDMI 2) and then the TV apps sound would come through your speakers!

Ahh the HDMI is two way? Thanks

Effectively yes, the ARC is known as the Audio Return Channel which really makes it simple for when you're connecting AVR's. I've only got 1 HDMI cable going to my E9 OLED and it's the HDMI 2 port which is the ARC port, works flawlessly.

Update on my Ruipro - I got the 15m cable to work. Simply don't use the special USB power adapter that comes with it. Took it off and it's all working beautifully.
Are you sure that you're actually able to get 48gbps from this Ruipro cable at that length? For example, 4K @ 120Hz, 10-bit, 4:4:4 would be 40.1gbps. It's just with you purchasing a really expensive cable that is listed as HDMI 2.1 48gbps, I'd assume obviously you've tested that it can handle the full-fat capacity?

HDMI.org haven't certified Ultra High Speed HDMI cables of this length, and I've heard plenty of people saying that they aren't able to get full HDMI 2.1 48gbps for even a 10m length.

Like you say, it's a minefield at the moment with Ultra High Speed HDMI cables, but I'd be very interested to hear if you've successfully tested this HDMI cable to be able to transmit HDMI 2.1 40-48gbps. I'm personally wanting a 10m 48gbps HDMI cable, but I'm almost at the stage of giving up because of hearing bad reports about every single cable I've looked at online.

Effectively yes, the ARC is known as the Audio Return Channel which really makes it simple for when you're connecting AVR's. I've only got 1 HDMI cable going to my E9 OLED and it's the HDMI 2 port which is the ARC port, works flawlessly.

Thanks again. I would just need to find a free input on the AVR.

Would there be an advantage of using this, as i do actually have an Amazon Fire Stick 4k? I guess i would only need it if there was a freeview channel that wasn't on virgin media (not something i wory about currently) or there was an app / catch up service on the TV that wasnt on the fire stick.

MB

Thanks again. I would just need to find a free input on the AVR.

Would there be an advantage of using this, as i do actually have an Amazon Fire Stick 4k? I guess i would only need it if there was a freeview channel that wasn't on virgin media (not something i wory about currently) or there was an app / catch up service on the TV that wasnt on the fire stick.

MB

In my opinion, the processor on the TV would be far superior to an Amazon Fire Stick 4K, in terms of handling apps. I know this year's OLED's had issues with certain catch up apps not being available at launch, not sure if this has been fixed in its entirety yet so the Amazon Fire Stick would be handy if any apps are missing on the TV!

Sorry missed this bit, your AVR should have a HDMI Out, this is what you would use when connecting a HDMI cable from the AVR to the TV :smashin:

Thanks again. I've been an AVF member for many years but if you don't buy anything for a while you loose touch !!

If the audio return is on the HDMI output, how do i select this as an input on my AVR (denon X-3100W) ?

Thanks for the tip about using the TV over the firestick, if available.

MB

Thanks again. I've been an AVF member for many years but if you don't buy anything for a while you loose touch !!

If the audio return is on the HDMI output, how do i select this as an input on my AVR (denon X-3100W) ?

Thanks for the tip about using the TV over the firestick, if available.

MB

On mine, I would watch TV on the same input (HDMI 2) and then switch sources using my AVR remote between Sky, Blu Ray Player etc. If you start to watch content through an app, it automatically switches to "TV Audio" on my Marantz AVR, might be similar on Denon AVR's.

Why is there no calibrated HDR measurements in these reviews? Would think thats what people want these days.

No price drops for black friday it seems

No price drops for black friday it seems

I did think the 48" OLED's would remain high for some time but the Philips 48" OLED+935 has already dropped £300 at Curry's and that's a brand new model only launched last month. The 48" CX has been out for months now.

Last edited:
I did think the 48" OLED's would remain high for some time but the Philips 48" OLED+935 has already dropped £300 at Curry's and that's a brand new model only launched last month.

Really annoying as i only want the cx for gsync 120hz for pc/next gen setup so will have to pay full price I guess 😖😣

Really annoying as i only want the cx for gsync 120hz for pc/next gen setup so will have to pay full price I guess 😖😣

The weird thing is the 48" Philips OLED is exclusive to Curry's, so it's not like there's competition from other outlets for this model. Maybe they have quite a few of the Philips in stock and they're just not shifting any.

Cheaper because most people are going for the CX, the Phillip's not good for any of the next gen consoles or the new nvidia 3000 series cards, lack of hdmi 2.1 support not great.

I picked up one of these at the weekend. Already have a 77" c8 and very happy with that but needed a smaller tv in another room of the house. After researching I initially bought a sony 43" BRAVIA KD43XH8096BU but it was a total & utter let down. It was very poor for both Sky Q and Netflix to the point it felt inferior to the 7 year old hd samsung it was replacing. After a lot of re-re-searching I came to the conclusion that my C8 had raised the bar so high that nothing was going to come close in a reduced screen size so bit the bullet and went for a CX 48". Yes it is a bitter price pill to swallow but having now got the tv I am so pleased with it. Perfect on all levels and worth 10 of the Sony. Price aside, very very happy with CX :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom