LG 47LW650T Audio Return, Ethernet & 3D

jamiewatson69

Standard Member
Evening all,

I have just purchased a 47LW650T and a Onyko TX-NR609, I am just getting to grips with it but have a couple of issues.

1) I was under the impression that the Audio Return would work for the inbuilt tuner and the DLNA etc.... I cannot seem to get it to work, if this doesn't work then surely LG shouldn't be advertising the fact that it has ARC? This this from HDMI.org would suggest that DLNA and the inbuilt tuner should return audio;
HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Audio Return Channel

2) I have a DVI cable fitted into the wall that I have converted to HDMI at either end, I was hoping that this would also carry the ethernet from the Onyko, it doesn't seem to do so. Look at the number of pins (it has more than HDMI) the DVI cable should support this, do you think its just a case that I need to wait for someone to design and make a suitable adapter?

3) I am also having problems viewing 3D files that I have downloaded, is this because they need to be in a special format or is it something I am doing wrong?

I would really appreciate any assitance, especially regarding the ARC! I really don't want to re chase cables into my chimney breast.

Thanks
Jamie

mentm

Since no-one else has been able to help you I will try.

I am not sure dvi supports audio return or Ethernet which would explain your first couple of issues.

Also there weren't any devices available which actually supported Ethernet over hdmi but since both of yours are new out it may be worth double checking.

What are you trying to play the 3d files on and what format and res are they. Not sure if dvi can be used for 3d either.

Try a high speed hdmi cable with Ethernet and see if that works before you chase out any Walls though.

Last edited:

LGFan

Evening all,

I have just purchased a 47LW650T and a Onyko TX-NR609, I am just getting to grips with it but have a couple of issues.

1) I was under the impression that the Audio Return would work for the inbuilt tuner and the DLNA etc.... I cannot seem to get it to work, if this doesn't work then surely LG shouldn't be advertising the fact that it has ARC? This this from HDMI.org would suggest that DLNA and the inbuilt tuner should return audio;
HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Audio Return Channel
I got the same setup here...

goto your "MENU" -> input -> SIMPLINK and enable it.
and on your Onkyo enable HDMI control -> "AUTO" .
That should do it all.

it does have an annoying problem, it will always try to switch to receiver audio playback, so if the tuner is off, your tv will be without sound before you switch SIMPLINK to internal speakers.

but becides that it works great.

btw,
DVI does not support digital audio at all, so thats a no-go, but any hdmi 1.3 cable works fine, i use both 1.1 and 1.3 here with 3D and audio return to the 609.
not sure about 3) but downloads should normally be named something like Half.SBS which means its half 1080p and SideBySide :) hope it helps, it was annoying in the beginning to get that in place.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom