Lg 47lw550t

sheep

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Currently havea Panasonic TX-P50G10 which I still think is a cracking telly,
But am seriously considering the LG 47LW550T(3d bug). I am very limited on viewing sets without travelling long distances but have definately decided on passive due to finding active giving me a headache after a few minutes and also having four kids so cheap glasses are ideal lol. My biggest concern is input lag with this TV. I play a lot of xbox360 and read a couple of reviews quoting terrible lag but one of the reviews said LG had updated the firmware to make it much better and for normal 2d/3d viewing this tv seems excellent value. Anyone help me with this? and is this the best LG to get for my needs and for £800ish.
Thanks
Sean.

Specific settings and recent LG firmware has reduced input lag. I certainly dont notice any but some hardcore gamers say it still effects them a little. The Toshiba passive is said to have less input lag.. see moccas posts on here, he swapped his LG for a Toshiba for this reason.

Thanks for the quick reply, Will look now

Right did some reading and looks like this could still be an issue as i play a lot of fast games like bf3 etc. Looks like my options are pretty limited as i really dont fancy a toshiba

Dont blame you, ehe Toshiba is not the prettiest set either.

I dont notice the input lag, maybe it's because Im not a hardcore gamer or could it be that my firmware (which is newer than the update they have on their site) has improved it further?

I suggest you speak nicely to Richer Sounds or a similar retailer, they just might let you take your gaming rig down to try for your self.

Failing that I'd probably hold off.. LG are well aware of how huge the gaming market is for them and will no doubt improve lag in the next 450u replacement model.. thats if they dont manage to improve it meanwhile with another firmware release..

Hi. If you head over to the LG forum there are quite a few recent posts about the lag, and using VGA is apparently the way to go if you are sensitive to it or play a lot of online gaming. Saying that though, I've come from a panny 46g10 and on my 55lw650t using hdmi with the label set to PC and game mode picture settings (which need a fair amount of tweaking to get them looking nice) I'm getting no noticeable problems with lag on both my 360 and PS3 (I only tend to play offline games).

Thanks for the advice, I think Im gonna look for an alternative as I play a lot of on line gaming and I dont want to have to "make do". I may have a good look at the panny gt30 and see if it gives me a headache

I think Im gonna look for an alternative as I play a lot of on line gaming and I dont want to have to "make do". I may have a good look at the panny gt30 and see if it gives me a headache
It's more than just about headaches though.

You should read mocca's (the biggest 3D gamer on the planet :D) posts on his experiences

AVForums.com - Search Results

I tried reading some of his posts and most of it went over my head lol, I will try again :)

Well I went to view the LG and there was a Panasonic G30 next to it, A helpful currys guy used the panasonic 3d test bluray between both and while the blacks were better on the panny I and two other viewers found the overall picture better on the LG, and on the bit where the turtle comes out at you on the reef scene we were blown away with the Lg. The 3D effect was definately better than the Panny and no eye strain. Im still concerned with input lag but looks like this can be kept within acceptable limits, Im still amazed how far things have come since my Panny G10 lol. So anyway looks like the LG it is.

Good choice sheep - I see myself as a hardcore gamer and the sole reason i bought this tv (LW650T) was to play xbox 360 and ps3 on it (98% of the time), 2% of footballl/general tv watching/blu-ray etc.

I have no problems at all with it. it was unplayable to begin with until i done what everyone has said (i.e renaming the HDMI1 input to PC), then tweaking a couple of settings in the xbox/ps3 display settings.. I will be testing the VGA cable for xbox 360 out on it later this weekend to see if it makes any difference. I am however, very satisfied with the outcome using hdmi. And believe me the lag would be something i would notice. i play mostly online all the time (MW3, BF3 just now) and to put it in hind site for you, on MW3 last night i played around 4-5 hours and was getting 40-20 roughly each game. This happened consistently. If the lag was that bad im pretty sure 40 (consistent) kills in a game of fast-paced COD would be a very hard task indeed.

Controlling the movements of the player is smooth aswell. In Cod, when i push A, I immediately jump, when i tap or hold B, the character immediately crouches or goes prone. When i move the sticks left and right and in a 360 motion, the character does exactly that, theres no noticeable input lag at all.

Just make sure you set-up the tv (i.e rename HDMI1 to PC), also make sure you tweak the HDTV settings on your XBOX 360/PS3 (under display settings) and you'll be laughing. I will test out the VGA cable and post back here over the weekend, to see if that reduces it more. however, as I dont see any or experience any noticeable lag just now, Im not sure I'll be able to notice any difference using VGA over HDMI, but ill try anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the great reply, Im definately getting one now, John Lewis I think at £799 with 5 year warranty and £100 cashback :), Hopefully order it tomorrow

No problem.

Well I managed to pick up my VGA cable that I have for the Xbox 360 and theres no difference from what I can tell compared to the HDMI input. Just played 2 quick ground war's on MW3 and final score was 47-8 and 34-17. I aint a camper either, I run around like a mad-man. So i wasnt just sitting in a corner picking people off. I tried rapid taps of A to make my guy jump and every button press registers very very rapidly. So if there is 'input lag' its 100% un-noticeable to the human eye if you have the TV set up properly. I am running firmware version 4.00.18 if that makes any difference. If you get the TV, the firmware on it will probably be 3.xx.xx so i would upgrade to 4.xx.xx in the first instance.

I don't have a video recorder or anything like that (apart from the one on my phone) - if can post a video of just how good gaming is on the TV (and how minimal the input-lag really is) I will post the video here.

Thanks very much for the great reply, Im definately getting one now, John Lewis I think at £799 with 5 year warranty and £100 cashback :), Hopefully order it tomorrow

How did you get that price? Do I have to go to that specific store?

This is great news and what I was hoping.

I put my 42gt20b up for sale yesterday and ordered the 47" LG :)

Well I went to view the LG and there was a Panasonic G30 next to it, A helpful currys guy used the panasonic 3d test bluray between both and while the blacks were better on the panny I and two other viewers found the overall picture better on the LG, and on the bit where the turtle comes out at you on the reef scene we were blown away with the Lg. The 3D effect was definately better than the Panny and no eye strain. Im still concerned with input lag but looks like this can be kept within acceptable limits, Im still amazed how far things have come since my Panny G10 lol. So anyway looks like the LG it is.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom