LG 44SZ8R-Looking for opinion and/or pics on picture quality

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by nevtra, Mar 8, 2006.

1. nevtra

nevtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying one of these and would by grateful for any user opinions on the picture quality and performance, i know dlp is good but am worried about colour as the 37" LCD flatpanel i owned was absolute ly rubbish with set top box. Skintone in particular was oil painty if u know what i mean.

Thanks if you can help

2. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The LG has a lot of plus points for such a cheap TV. It's bright, colours are good, black level is very dark. White levels are not as good as more expensive models, but still quite acceptable. RGB Scart input from good quality sources looks very nice indeed (surprisingly), while HD input from a PC just looks stunning. Expect it to provide a comfortably better picture than any plasma or lcd at the same price.

Having said that, the Sagem 45" G4 models are now available for under £1100, and have an even better picture as well as 2 years warranty (and are also much better looking). The cheapest you can get the LG is about £900 at currys, if you use a £50 discount code and an Egg card for 5% more - you'd be lucky to get a decent 32" LCD at that price.

Basically, it's up to you whether £200 more for a superior picture is worth it. Alternatively, you can even get the 50" Sagem for £1400, or the 50" Sony for £1100ish (not a DLP though). Personally, I had to return my LG because of a fault (caused by careless delivery I think), and with the refund money I went for the Sagem.

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    I saw one the other day on Currys been driven from a hd source and I thought it l ooks amazing.

Def a nice set for the money.

4. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, it's a terrific set (especially since I got it for £850). It's just the Sagem is clearly the best around in the <£1500 market, and now it's so close to the LG in price it's worth mentioning. Better scaler, better picture, 2 year onsite warranty, two HDMIs instead of one (HDMI switches cost a fortune), much better looking box, photo card viewer and the ability to take native 720p from the VGA socket - the LG only does 1024*768, you need to use the HDMI to connect to a PC, which forces you to use component for a DVD player or Sky HD (and at some point the latter will stop outputting HD over component).

5. nevtra

nevtra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I went to currys again today and have wentfor the 46" samsung @ £1200. We've been without a tv for about four weeks now (sagem dlp broke down) so i got impatient, tried asking the guy to link the three sets i was looking at to a decent dvd feed and he just looked at me as though i was stupid, so i've winged it a bit and just went "give me that one". Wouldn't it be great if there was a retailer out there that would accomodate a quality comparison, i think these companies have just gotten to big, and as for customer care and service, they dont know the meaning of the words. Anyway, i went off on a bit of a one there. thanks again for the info.

6. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    saw it running and it looked brighter and suffered lees noise than the 52" not only that is was very simular to the 60" plasma.

deffo looked amazing imo. and a great price.