1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 44" DLPs

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Phil Lovett, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Phil Lovett

Phil Lovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been offered a LG RE44SZ20RD with stand and warranty for £600. Is this a good deal? On the LG website they list the RE44SZ21RD, so is the other one no longer current? Does anyone know what the differences are?

2. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 20 is the old, old model, which suffered from a few more problems than the 21 model which I now believe has also been discontinued. Do a search on the model numbers here - there are plenty of threads on the good and bad side of this set.

3. Phil Lovett

Phil Lovett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I only just found the search facility on the forum. I see there are many opinions. So I wonder if £600 is a good price?

4. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes and no - the set in itself looks ok aesthetically, although the PQ isn't up to the quality of the current DLP offerings from Samsung or Sagem (IMO). There have also been a few issues with the TV switching off and not coming back on, or vice versa. There have also been some expensive circuit board repairs needed.

There are a couple of guys on here which have the 21 model and have had some issues, but other than that are quite happy with them.

Perhaps a look at a review would help? :

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3537

Bear in mind as the review says it was one of the first DLP tv's over here, and technology has come on quite a way since then.

5. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I've got the 21 and if I remember rightly the 20 hasn't got component inputs ?
    I'm one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any problem with my set since getting it in july 2004, I paid £1,500 for it back then. :)

6. avinitski

avinitski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    ill join you on this one, had mine for about 4 months now, very happy with it, but i did buy it thinking it was a TRUE HD set as when i was looking at it in the showroom i seen the 1080i input and presumed it can display upto true 1080i :( but HD content still looks fab, but yeah a little peeved i splashed out thinking i got something better lol