1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lg 44 Dlp

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Blondie, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    warning to all who own the LG 44 DLP set. i first purchased this set in june 2003 and since then have replaced it three times with the same problem. it fails to switch from the standby position to on and when on, swithches off after several mins. checking the av forums in australia it is a common problem, so beware when the set is 12 months old things do start going wrong, ps don't buy LG :thumbsdow

2. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i hope u don't mate, but aussie electric supply or not, i'am in good old middlesbrough and i've had three with the same problem!! Defo stay clear of LG

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    and theres me thinking that LG only did high end gear....lol

I think if I am right LG used to be Goldstar, a terrible electronics manufacturer. LG is strictly budget gear which are trying to break into the midrange. Sorry Lion no offence mate

4. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if only life and LG tv's were as easy as maths, the common fault time on most LG 44 tv's is 12 months, the second one i had lasted 4 weeks!!! trust me Mr Lion, it will stop functioning as Razor stated this is low end mass produced crap any electrical item that needs changing as much as this TV does ask serious questions, thank god i did take out an extended warrenty!!!!!!!!1

5. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say I have a great one at one end of my bedroom. I have been nothing but pleased with it to date. Purchased it last year and it has not missed a beat. I do notice the fan noise now as I have a sammy in the livingroom but it is great to lie in bed and enjoy the screen.

6. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Time will tell LG owners, if it lasts, mine to will end up in the bedroom mistycat, as a nice loewve 55 is coming my way :clap: :clap: Lion enjoy the LG while it lasts, put your order in for new DLP model for chrimbo cause it will die by then :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

7. j3st3r

j3st3r
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Lion just to let you know your not alone, got my LG44 on Friday, couldn't be happier. Got it for a steal at 999 in comets. Couldn't justify spending 2K on a tosh or sagem when there wasn't much difference in picture quality. :D

8. Geraldinho

Geraldinho
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I like j3st3r also took advantage of the £999 deal and got my set last week. After a bit, well a lot actually, of picture menu tweaking I'm really happy with it, although I can't get my sky+ remote to operate the TV. Does anyone know what the remote code should be as I'm driving my wife mad constantly trying different ones? :hiya:

9. cmt

cmt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Add another to the list of owners - mine arrives on Thursday - meaning my Thomson 32wb643 gets relegated to the second lounge.

Only found this forum whilst looking for info on the set - seems like a nice place to hang out!?

cmt

10. Zaria

Zaria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've just got one and very happy with it-cracking picture, sound not bad and the set itself looks lovely. Getting used to the size now but PQ still good from 2.5m away. :thumbsup:

11. jedi-knight

jedi-knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    i was considering this set, so popped down my local currys / sheit, and it was off, turned it on, came on after a delay, then went off, what ???? :confused:

then the well educated a/v salesman :devil: who works there told me it wasn't working, it keeps going off, well that sealed it, i ain't buying one.... :nono:

12. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou and i rest my case!! it is a major fault with all the LG 44, i hope you all enjoy the pictures whilst they are on however they will stop and thats what you get for being the first cheap AV company to bring DLP sets to these stores :thumbsdow :nono: Razor i'll take your £5 pound bet and double it, no christmas james bond viewing on 44 inches of screen for our Lion, sorry mate but the TV's are bad, to the LG company >>>> :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

13. bumbs

bumbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just thought id jump in here as its a good a time as any to say hi! Got my LG set 2 weeks ago and love it :thumbsup:. All going fine so far and for £999 no real complaints.

Anyway, only time will tell............

14. blasthand

blasthand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thought I'd add my 2-penneth here :)

Had my set for about 7 months now (I think!). I've never had any problems with it switching itself off <touch wood> but sometimes it can take an aaaaage to come on, and on a couple of occassions it has come on with all the picture being a nice shade of blue (am assuming that the 2 times it's done this it's to do with the colour wheel?).

Aside from that very happy with it. Got used to the skin-tones now in dark scenes and the slight rainbowing on panning shots. Colour is excellent with no bleed and picture seems very sharp, especially when fed with component from dvd player (DVP-NS585 & profigold oxypure lead). In fact, over the last month or so I'd have to say it's almost like the picture finally got bedded-in.

Overall I'm pleased with it.

Cheers,
    Blasthand.

ps: Think I saw the mysterious 3rd member earlier...standing on some sort of grassy-knoll if I recall :D

15. Morbius

Morbius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe, there is more of us about than we think? My set 15 Months old - real veteran. One bulb change at 4 months due to faulty batch (give them the benefit of the doubt). Apart from that no real problems.

Has been a solid performer. Ho Ho Ho lets see if it makes Xmas

Stu

16. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,770
    Razor: I don't agree with your dismissive perception of LG products. There may (or may not) be specific issues with this specfic TV set. However, I think in general, LG do make some worthwhile products - the fact that they re-branded themselves from "Goldstar" is only relevant to the extent that it marked the point at which they re-positioned themselves (and their products) in the marketplace. I have a small LCD TV which has nothing wrong with it, and one of the best front loading washing machines I've ever seen.

Comparison with Saisho is unreasonable; this is a badge only used by DSG; the products are made by whoever DSG want to make them. As a DSG own-brand, it's reasonable to assume that most of these products will be cheapish (but not cheap enough) and poor value.

LG, on the other hand, are manufacturers. IMO, their products (in general) are of reasonable quality and offer good value. They have no "snob" value though. I suspect their DLP TVs (if they stay on) probably show NTSC without too much judder......

As for its price - it was the first (IIRC) DLP RP TV on the UK mass market. At the time, GBP2500 for a 44 inch TV (of any type) was a steal. Things have moved on and you can't evaluate a 2003 purchase at today's rates.

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Considering the length of time it's been out the price has held up really well.
    The Sagem 50 has lost a lot more much quicker.
    The main drawback of the LG is that reflective screen which limits where you can put it but that's no different to all the CRT sets i've had in the past.

18. jedi-knight

jedi-knight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    i agree with LV406, yes LG are no longer an useless brand, i would rate them as good as samsung anyway. The last dvd player i purchased was an LG, it was excellent, picture & sound great, own one before you rate them.

although i could never see them releasing an a/v amp or projector, LG have come a long way :thumbsup:

Lets just say LG is for the average joe, decent value for money, but not for enthusiasts.

but then again skoda have come a long way too. :devil:

19. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    I still could never see myself buying LG for my main av kit. As jedi knight says strictly for joe public. I wouldnt say that LG is much better than brand goodmans, bush etc.... I certainly wouldnt asociate LG with the likes of denon, arcam, Pioneer... etc. But that is my personal opinon.

LG is fine for pc gear, ie dvd burner, flat panel monitor etc. BUt LG is not a AV king or near in my books.

No offence was ment by my comments.

Just calling it as I see it. :)

20. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right enough of the LG DLP set, i agree it was stupid spending £2,500 on a LG product, but i was pretty much the first to purchase one as Currys had just recieved them with no other outlets to compete with at the time currys could do what they wanted. but i to am evolving with the Loewe 55 coming my way soon, even though the lamp life is 2000hrs, it is a serious bit of home cinema kit. As for the LG, it goes in the bedroom until it dies then it goes straight in the wheely bin :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

21. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Lion I agree that Optoma are muppets on a string. To make a tv that cant play NTSC is madness and stupid. Their next version of the RD range wont be able to display BBC1, ITV or Sky as Optoma dont see these channels as important. The manual will be read out over a premium rate telephone number..... LOL :rotfl: :rotfl:

BTW Lion please dont take any of my comments to heart about average joe and LG. No harm or offence is ment just trying to make a point. :)

22. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently spent an evening at a friends house they had bought a Toshiba CRT about 30" in size costing around £1250 he shopped around on the internet to get the best price & it was also recomended in AV mags as being top quality.
    The picture was very good quality if i had not seen the DLP sets i would have probably got one like it as my next TV , i would rate my Goondmans 36" i used to own as good even the little portable crt in the bedroom has a good picture.
    In the last 25 years i have never had a crt set with a bad picture so long as i have had a good rooftop ariel.

The view most experts seem to hold is that CRT still has the best quality compared to Plasma ,LCD, DLP

My view comparing CRT to my set is that CRT copes with poor sources best of all. But i would rate the RD50 with freeview digital & the BBC wildlife programes as easily the best quality broadcast TV i've ever seen

23. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about the pic on the left but the one on the right looks very tasty :smashin:

24. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Nice looking sets Lion, just right for the average Joe.....LOL :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

It does look like the samsung with those speakers:smashin:

25. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to remember reading something about the show & the LG's were highly rated
    it's all a bit hazy the details are lost in the mists of time i read it about a month ago, ithink they had the show in January

26. cmt

cmt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    not noticed any problems with mine ...... yet.

Very happy with it for the money.

cmt

27. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lion will they be brining these sets to the UK?? because if there are as good as they look, u never no, i might take the plunge again with my size tens, hope this LG model does actually switch on though!!
    I'am getting thier for nearlly all the cash for the Loewver howver the 2k lamp life is off putting :eek:

28. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe Master & Commander it was on telewest on Saturday & i noticed
    solarisation of faces when they were in the fog first time i've noticed it on the RD50
    :(

29. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I've had no problems with mine so far, and I paid for it on my credit card. So there's nothing to worry about.

30. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    FAO people reporting skin tones problems. I recently upgraded to a decent DVD player, and have no more problems.