Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

LG 44" DLP - HDTV QUERY

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jonwilde, Mar 21, 2005.

1. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted LG to ask if my 44" dlp is HDTV ready and they said it was, is this correct does anyone know any different.

Thanks Jon

2. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Lion should know he has a 44' LG.

3. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lion, the guy on technical support at LG said that the upgrade port on the rear was for a HD connection, and he said that if the type of connection was wrong for when HD launches the serive engineers will change it for the correct one. How does this sound to you as I bought the set on the understanding it was HD ready.
    The reason I enquired today was the report on the BBC website today, which said people are being misled when buying new Plasma/LCD/DLP sets. Did you read it at all ?

Cheers Jon

4. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Lion your LG owners club is now rivaling the Optomas owners club for membership numbers.

5. fugitive

fugitive
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the LG in Comet and thought it was a very good looking set. The thing that put me off was when I looked at the back and there was no HD connection.

Don't believe anything that salespeople tell you - get it in writing.

....or just buy the Tosh 52 like I did :smashin:

6. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember all the conflicting information that has come from Sagem about the HDCP upgrade for the 50" so as Lion says get it in writing if u can.
    I wonder if any of the plasma sets that have been sold lacking an HDCP input will get an upgrade ? :)

7. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    B & O plasmas are ment to be lacking HDTV without an upgrade.

8. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe our American friends all happily run HDTV over Component as ultimately this supports 720p and 1080i. However if you want to drive digital HD content from a PC or suitable player then you will need to get that upgrade LG mentioned to you.

Sky HD will need a Digital HDCP port so would def push LG to come and fit a port.

9. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I think you'll find that most US HDTVs have a HDMI interface, which is required for HDCP encrypted broadcasts.

10. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just on a side note if LG are wrong and the set will not accept HDTV where do I stand as I was informed when I bought the set from Currys that it was. Can I reject it on the grounds that its not fit for the purpose it was bought for. I have nothing in writing from Currys though. Is it worth while getting or trying to get LG to confirm in writing that the set is ready for HDTV. Any advice guys.

Thanks Jon

11. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    Is HDTV listed on any of their sites or advertisment? If it is copy and keep. I had this with Optoma and the RD65, the original advert had NTSC compatible. They have since changed this to not NTSC suitable.

Also if the currys site has this listed as HDTV ready, that would be good evidence.

12. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I but in as I have one of the LG's (and quite like it) in my bedroom! Sexy little thing you know boys!

This is a tricky legal situation. Technically the LG will accept the resolution required for HD, and when the BBC brings it in, it will take a HD feed through component (BBC says this will be their initial feed, until 2010 - except for some HDCP material). This means that if a programme can be picked up on the Tv, then it is enabled.

What you are aledging is really (sorry about spelling, a few drinks tonight!) nauty nauty's by a representitive on behalf of Comet. Please email me here to discuss.

Hope this helps, Maree the mistycat (name of my cat actually!). I don't actually have a tail! I am actually 5'9", medium build, blond, blue eyed, and Nordic looking. Not much of a cat I am afraid boys. Sorry. Meowwwwww. Puuuurrrrrrrrr. :devil: :devil: :devil:

13. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

I think you have pulled jonwilde :devil: :devil: :devil:

Ps

The above quote has been edited, slightly.... :D

14. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to LG again yesterday and they are still standing by the set is HDTV ready but for some reason I dont beleive them!!

15. Morbius

Morbius
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spoke to LG Uk Customer services yesterday. They said the Re44sz21rd is definately not HDTV ready !!!!!

Stu

16. horribleman

horribleman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    They give dodgy info. I asked if it supported PAL and NTSC prog scan, and although it does, I was told twice that it does not, and once that it does.