LG 43UP77006LB - 2 sets - different panels ??

pippin

My brother got an LG 43UP77006LB in January. From Amazon UK. "2021 version"
Great budget TV. Very good picture with great viewing angles. Very pleased with it.

So having seen that, last week my dad bought the same TV. LG 43UP77006LB 2021 version. Only difference - this time its from John Lewis.
Screen-wise, its like a totally different TV. Mainly, the viewing angles on it are appalling. Just actually shocking. Anything over about 20 degrees from dead-on and it rapidly washes out with increasing brightness. It truly is terrible.

Is anything known about a change in panel on these?
I really don't get what's happened. Many of the reviews on sites state this set has great viewing angles. And my brothers has. But this new one is (imho) junk.

HAM5ter84

My brother got an LG 43UP77006LB in January. From Amazon UK. "2021 version"
Great budget TV. Very good picture with great viewing angles. Very pleased with it.

So having seen that, last week my dad bought the same TV. LG 43UP77006LB 2021 version. Only difference - this time its from John Lewis.
Screen-wise, its like a totally different TV. Mainly, the viewing angles on it are appalling. Just actually shocking. Anything over about 20 degrees from dead-on and it rapidly washes out with increasing brightness. It truly is terrible.

Is anything known about a change in panel on these?
I really don't get what's happened. Many of the reviews on sites state this set has great viewing angles. And my brothers has. But this new one is (imho) junk.
I'd get the TV taken back, if your dad isn't happy. Sounds like MVA Vs IPS panels is going on as IPS panel will have wider viewing angles and brighter than MVA, but blacks aren't as good, so can be a bit grey out of the box before calibrating colours.

MVA will have darker blacks , but angles for viewing after tighter and more issues in the budget range. Probably the IPS screens in yours and brothers is LG screen biz supplied and the MVA could be random third party. Philips 2020 85** The One Series TV had awful MVA panels and similar issues.

I'd ask for a swap or money back and try with Amazon stock as sounds like they have a stock of IPS Vs John Lewis MVA stock. Joys of panel Lottery and I bet like Philips the Amazon will have a specific sku for its channel and John Lewis a different Sku. Changing to Amazon may give more luck.

How to test is : on your dad's screen lightly brush the screen and your see an white blop or similar occur temporarily and will go away and you brush along. Same on your TV or brother do the same and no white blop will occur, if they are IPS based screens.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom