LG 43UM7100PLB Black screen

alkemy007

Novice Member
I switched on my TV this morning and it just went to a black screen. I pressed the Netflix button and you can hear the load up sound to Netflix. Also, when I plug in my PS5, you can hear the background music but nothing appears on screen. I have Google'd and YouTube'd the issue and have done all the troubleshooting tips (turning it off by the plug, unplugging, changing remote batteries etc etc) but still, I get nothing. I spoke to someone who fixes TV's earlier and he said it may be a backlight issue. He told me to start it up and when I click the Netflix button, shine a flashlight on the screen to see if I can see any remnants of a picture and if so, that would point to it being the backlight issue. I done that but seen absolutely nothing on screen. I'm not sure if that's a bad or good thing. I also tried resetting the TV (as I have the exact same model in another room so just followed the steps I did on one, on the other) but that also didn't fix the issue. I've only had it past it's 12 month warranty so don't really want to go and buy a brand new one if possible. I'm hoping I have missed something.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
A modern TV is expected to last more than a year.
You have consumers rights.
Complain to the retailer you bought it from.

alkemy007

Novice Member
It's my partners TV, she had it as a Christmas present from her Son. The odds of him finding any receipt is slim to none.

I've tried a few other fixes, none seem to work. I notice the red power light blinks 3 times when I power it up. Maybe there's something in that?

Also, sound works on absolutely everything, even when I mirror my phone screen with a YouTube video playing. I'm very close to throwing the thing in the rubbish bin but we've only had it for 14 or so months so I'm gonna see if anything can fix it in the next couple of days before I bite the bullet.

Pat Human

Novice Member
I switched on my TV this morning and it just went to a black screen. I pressed the Netflix button and you can hear the load up sound to Netflix. Also, when I plug in my PS5, you can hear the background music but nothing appears on screen. I have Google'd and YouTube'd the issue and have done all the troubleshooting tips (turning it off by the plug, unplugging, changing remote batteries etc etc) but still, I get nothing. I spoke to someone who fixes TV's earlier and he said it may be a backlight issue. He told me to start it up and when I click the Netflix button, shine a flashlight on the screen to see if I can see any remnants of a picture and if so, that would point to it being the backlight issue. I done that but seen absolutely nothing on screen. I'm not sure if that's a bad or good thing. I also tried resetting the TV (as I have the exact same model in another room so just followed the steps I did on one, on the other) but that also didn't fix the issue. I've only had it past it's 12 month warranty so don't really want to go and buy a brand new one if possible. I'm hoping I have missed something.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers.
I had a similar problem with a Sony HD 42 inch tv. Just Black screen. It was the back lights, they were dead. But I had bought from Richersounds and had receipt. It was 4 years old. But your consumer rights are that it last last 6 years! I think I also had Richersounds 6 year guarantee. I had to send a picture of black screen (!) and serial number and description of problem to their repair lab. They confirmed dead back light and then I had to haggle a bit with Richersounds Exchange team to get TV like for like minus depreciation. I got a LG 43 UM7400PLB and had to pay a small amount. Anyway you do have rights but you need some proof of purchase an email or credit card payment receipt or in credit card statement or something. Failing that there are YouTube videos of how to replace the back lights. But a bit beyond my technical level. Hope that helps

It's my partners TV, she had it as a Christmas present from her Son. The odds of him finding any receipt is slim to none.
All that's required is 'proof of purchase'. Unless the TV was paid for in cash, her son will be able to find the purchase listed on say, a credit or debit card statement...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom