Question LG 43UH603V TV and Pioneer VSX-828-K Receiver HDMI ARC - No Signal

bradavon78

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My new LG 43UH603V TV arrived today and I cannot get the HDMI 3 port to work with my Pioneer Receiver VSX-828-K AV Receiver.

HDMI 3 is the only one that supports ARC. The TV just reports "Inactive port" despite the Receiver outputting my Humax Youview box.

- It works fine using HDMI 2 (which doesn't support ARC)
- HDMI 3 works fine if I plug the Humax Youview box into it directly.

The LG 43UH603V TV is set to:
Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC) - This disables the internal speakers
SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) - On

The Pioneer Receiver VSX-828-K is set to:
HDMI Setup:
Control - On
ARC - On
Standby Through - Off

As far as I can tell there's some ARC conflict that's oddly meaning I cannot even get a picture. I've tried turning off ARC on the TV and Receiver but still "Inactive port" :-/

I'm thinking the LG TV ARC and Pioneer Receiver ARC aren't compatible with each other and I'll need to run an Optical cable to the receiver but would like to confirm this.

Thanks

Although your VSX-828 states "Ultra-HD pass-through", it is not an HDMI 2.0 / HCDP 2.2 device; it has the bandwidth for 4K but not the required level of support for full UHD functionality. That is why you also have no picture.

Your LG TV likely has a "compatibility" option for each HDMI port in the settings - you will need to enable this for the relevant HDMI input to get the TV to support the legacy HDMI in your AVR.

Although your VSX-828 states "Ultra-HD pass-through", it is not an HDMI 2.0 / HCDP 2.2 device; it has the bandwidth for 4K but not the required level of support for full UHD functionality. That is why you also have no picture.
Thanks Mark. That makes sense. I suspected my Receiver was "Ultra HD" compatible in inverted commas when I bought it, it was written on the box but no mention of an Ultra HD standard.

How come it works fine with HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 though?

Those don't support ARC but would have the same UltraHD compatibility issues though, no?

EDIT: Oh do you mean it becomes 4K when it goes back down the HDMI cable to the Receiver using ARC? I mean because there is no 4K until it reaches the TV. The Youview box is outputting 1080p but HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 don't have ARC so are only sending a signal in one direction.

Your LG TV likely has a "compatibility" option for each HDMI port in the settings - you will need to enable this for the relevant HDMI input to get the TV to support the legacy HDMI in your AVR.
I wasn't specifically looking for one but I went through all Settings menus and couldn't see much about HDMI.

I'll have another look now I know what to look for. Thanks.

Last edited:
If not dealing with UHD sources then there should be no issue conveying non 4K content through the receiver to the TV. ARC has nothing to do with UHD and your receiver would not need to be UHD or HDCP 2.2 compliant in order to receive audio from the TV via ARC.

I'd suspect an HDMI conflict between the receiver and the TV's HDMI 4K@60Hz)/DVI ARC enabled input? Try putting both devices into standby with them connected and then power them back to see if this establishes an HDMI handshake between them?

I'd also suggest you try a different HDMI cable between the TV and the receiver just to rule the one you are using out as being the cause of the issue.

Last edited:
I'd also suggest you try a different HDMI cable between the TV and the receiver just to rule the one you are using out as being the cause of the issue.
To my surprise this was it. I tried another cable and hey presto it works. Thanks guys.

The old cable happened to be gold plated but otherwise they're both non-descript HDMI cables.

Any idea how their specification probably differs?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom