LG 43 inch LCD smart tv using 12 watts in standby mode.

pcdunk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have a new LG 43 inch LCD smart TV that is using 12 watts in standby. This is mounted in the bedroom but when I finish using it I normally switch it of using the remote so it goes to standby. Now I have a clamp meter that I can use to measure current and that gave a reading of 0.05 Amps = 12 Watts. Tried the usual suspects but no matter what I do it won’t drop below this. I only use a 4k Roku stick in this and this is powered from the USB port. Tried unplugging this no changed.

To use the clamp meter I took a loop from the live cable out side a home made extension box. Then plugged the tv into that.

Anyone got any idea?

Last edited:
Hmm,
There is a recent thread , might be in the lg section, about similar
See if you're seeing similar

How accurate is the meter? Is it designed to measure hundredths of an amp?

47" hasn't been a commonly used size for some years now so I suspect your new TV is a few years old. I had a quick look online and the newest LG 47" models I could find reference to were from 2014 (LBxxx)

How accurate is the meter? Is it designed to measure hundredths of an amp?

47" hasn't been a commonly used size for some years now so I suspect your new TV is a few years old. I had a quick look online and the newest LG 47" models I could find reference to were from 2014 (LBxxx)
Sorry my mistake. It is a 43” model 43UP77006LB. Yes might need to check the meter.

Last edited:
The EU brought in the 'Ecodesign Directive' in 2010 which requires electrical devices without a display to have a standby mode option of 0.5W or less so any TV bought since then should have to comply with this, I think.

The settings which can affect standby power consumption are normally smart speaker control/network-related or things like the TV supplying power to it's USB sockets after being turned off (etc) - have you checked all those are disabled ?

If you've got all those settings turned off, then it might be worth checking your meter on something with a known power rating, like you mentioned. I guess a fault with the TV is also possible, although fairly unlikely I would have thought.

12W in standby will be costing you £37.53 a year on the current price cap so definitely worth looking into !

It is most likely the meter is inaccurate at that low level...
Cheap clamp meter example spec of +/-2.5 % +5 count on a 1999 display. Another was 2% +10 count... Check your meter spec ?

BUT wrap that live cable 2/3/4/5 times around the clamp meter --- then the current measurement will be 2/3/4/5 times the true current and may give a more meaningful figure to use? {Ideally the cable(s) must be in the centre of the clamp for 'accuracy'}

Not forgetting that current is unlikely to be in phase with the voltage (a resistive load) --- more likely leading (capacitive) or lagging (inductive). Electricity meters measure the in phase current portion only.

It is most likely the meter is inaccurate at that low level...
Cheap clamp meter example spec of +/-2.5 % +5 count on a 1999 display. Another was 2% +10 count... Check your meter spec ?

BUT wrap that live cable 2/3/4/5 times around the clamp meter --- then the current measurement will be 2/3/4/5 times the true current and may give a more meaningful figure to use? {Ideally the cable(s) must be in the centre of the clamp for 'accuracy'}

Not forgetting that current is unlikely to be in phase with the voltage (a resistive load) --- more likely leading (capacitive) or lagging (inductive). Electricity meters measure the in phase current portion only.

Do you think one of the cheap plug in power meters may be more accurate?

Might be. Might not. There are/were many reports of these devices mis-reading energy use when the current and voltage or not in phase.

More recent modern units may be better. Or not. It's a lottery.

I have four Meross 'smart plug/energy monitor' units that seem to indicate low power consumption items to be 'in the right ballpark'... cf the makers' claims. Amazon product ASIN B07QX6CF46I used one recently to measure how much another was using in standby or with the on relay energised.

I use them to switch led mood lights via the app's timer or smart voice assistants, and a fan to move the air and, again, the numbers are in the correct ball park. I doubt they are very accurate, but are good enough for my needs.

One even convinced me that my power recliner wasn't using much electric when not being motored (under 1 Watt). (On another forum a user of such a chair measured 10s of Watts from theirs).

Other brands are available and beware non-energy-monitor variants of the Meross.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom