LG 42SL8000 LCD HDTV Review

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by David Mackenzie
The other strengths are just too much not to award a badge to: the design is fantastic, the usability is fantastic, the calibration controls are fantastic and allow you to get extremely accurate video from the display, and the SD video processing is nothing shabby, either.
Read the full review...

I want 52" and networking like in the USA.

Why are we getting knocked back on the networking.

No networking on the Sharp TV and Sony W5500. (pointless if it can't play DivX and MKV)

I want 52" and networking like in the USA.

Why are we getting knocked back on the networking.

No networking on the Sharp TV and Sony W5500. (pointless if it can't play DivX and MKV)

Obviously there are issues with different markets. LG do listen to feedback from AVForums members on their TVs and have a forum here at AVF. Maybe you could post in there with suggestions on the types of features you feel are important.

Thanks for the great review once again (I wonder how often I say that...). I reserved judgement after seeing them at IFA, but looks like LG are deffinitely going in the right direction

Thanks for the review. How is the TV regarding backlight issues such as bleeding, uniformity etc?

Bordless design is "wide" for watcher,but it is not real.
And it is very easily being hurt but scratch right?

Great review Phil!:smashin:, but can you tell me why you set 100% peak white to an eye splitting 65ftl. I was under the impression that 30 - 35ftl was optimal for dim light viewing.

On a different matter, will you be reviewing the SL9000 lcd LED anytime soon as i'm very interested to see if LG have worked out how to get the deep blacks without the global auto-dimming that plagues the samsungs.:suicide:

Cheers.

Bordless design is "wide" for watcher,but it is not real.
And it is very easily being hurt but scratch right?

It has a coating on the screen which makes it very resistant to scratching (and the screen itself made of a glass-like plastic (glass on the SL9000 I think)) which makes it very strong. It's also very resistant to finger prints, although I didn't get to see it up close when someone had been poking it (someone who did poke it agreed though).

On a different matter, will you be reviewing the SL9000 lcd LED anytime soon as i'm very interested to see if LG have worked out how to get the deep blacks without the global auto-dimming that plagues the samsungs.:suicide:

I don't know if it was just the lighting or settings or something, but at IFA the SL9000 did look a big deeper in terms of black levels...we'll see, I'd love to see a review of it on here

Nice review very informative, three query's

A) Did you take any pictures of the TV while in use if so could you add the shot of it in action to the review ?

B) This may be a tricky one to verify but with Logitech harmony remotes the best way I find to switch inputs on a TV is through method 2 were the TV supports the commands to switch to a specific input (without having to call up a menu or cycle through inputs). Does the SL8000 support this or LG have a history of supporting this ?

C) The intelligent brightness sensor can that be enabled individually on any profile or is it specific to one ?

Thanks.

Excellent review! I just bought this TV and would be excited to try your settings! Any change you could give us the specifics of the profile you created?

Thanks!

Sami

Thank you for rewiev, I have SL8500 one day I am wery happy but some mkv files I can't play because unsupportet audio was writen, please tell me if is possibile to upload firmware or do somehing else.

Thank you

milans

Thanks for the review. Im seriously planning to buy a 47sl8500. :lease: Please share your adjusted settings!

Thanks

i too would like these settings :lease: as im not happy with my 47SL8000 at the moment, i just want to see if some decent settings will change my mind before i send it back :(

i too would like these settings :lease: as im not happy with my 47SL8000 at the moment, i just want to see if some decent settings will change my mind before i send it back :(

Why aren't you happy with that?

What about the 32 inch display, does it offer the same performance?
Where I live I could get it for 650 euros and the viewing distance from the TV would be around 2 meters, thus the 32 inch.

"However, if you label the HDMI input as "PC", then the TV will cut out extraneous processing, meaning the figure was cut to only 20ms."
Can the labeling "pc" be done if a ps3 is connected in the hdmi?:confused:

Can you please post all the 20 point calibration values. It'd much appreciated! :) Thank you.

why were these calibration valies never posted? I´m baffled by why avforums doesn´t post at least some of their settings so that the readers can attempt to get a better picture from their sets.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom