1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lg 42pz17

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Hurricane59, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Hurricane59

Hurricane59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Very new to this game so apologise in advance for general ignorance, been to RS (Very impressed with the service by the way as they didnt treat me like the complete novice that i expected) last week to look at the LG and was very impressed with the DVD playing (Monsters Inc) anyway as well as the plasma i wanted DVD, Amp, Speakers Etc so with all that going into and out of my head forgot to ask whether this model has progressive scan also i would like a bit more detail on the specs beforew i take the plunge ? Anyone out there know, i have tried to find some specs on it but it seems to be a new model and even the LG site doesnt list it. Also wondering about the picture quality when hooked up to Sky as that is what 90% of my home viewing will be. A further question (sorry) will it be possible to connect my laptop to it and surf etc.
    Cheers

2. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  3. Hurricane59

Hurricane59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks House for the prompt reply now i have got the specs i just have to try and understand them, On the AV board it says Compostite - Yes (PAL/SECAM/NTSC) is this progressive scan?
    Cheers in woefull ignorance.

4. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hurricane,

I believe the LG supports progressive scan for NTSC only (480p), it doesn't do PAL Prog Scan.

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This is a very good question and well timed for me. This is going to be a bit of a rant so please bear with me.

I bought Samsung Plasma at the beginning of this month from RS and have been very happy with it. However at the beginning of last week the screen began to cut out as if going into stand by mode (But not).

There were no other problems with the screen and I was more than happy with the quality and performance of the set.

I rang up RS and they put me through to Stelgis their suppliers. I spoke to a very helpful engineer who explained the set had a faulty "Wire Driver" no idea what this but apparently it regulates power to the screen and needed to be replaced.

No problem the new screen was with me by the end of the week (Thursday - great service) and I installed it on Saturday. However all was not well with the replacement screen. Although it did not cut out the picture quality of the replacement was nothing like the original, the biggest problem being a very irritating "Flicker effect" with faint bands phasing down the screen (particularly evident on solid colours and at the edge of the screen)

I again spoke to RS and Stelgis and the same engineer confirmed that he believed this set to be DOA also (A loose connection inside he felt was the cause of the picture distortion).

I got talking to him and told him I was thinking of getting a different screen. Something costing even £2000 has to be two strikes and you are out surely ?

I said I was thinking of the New LG at £2500 or maybe even £2999 for the latest Toshiba. This is proposed to be the same screen basically as the new Panny and most people on this forum and in fact everywhere agree that this is the best set available but at a price.

Now I must say he seemed like a nice chap and I definitely trust what he was saying. He services and repairs these things at one of the biggest distributors in the country and he obviously knows his stuff. He said that in 4 months he had only had back 4 Samsung sets (including what will soon be two from me). This out of over 1000 that has gone through their company in this period (So he says).

He said that personally he though it was a good set picture and build quality wise especially for the money. I asked him what he thought about the Tosh and the LG. He said the Tosh is a great set but only comes with a one-year warranty. (Although I would get two-year extension for £250 from RS as I have with the Sammy).

He reckons that these sets are not that serviceable - anything goes wrong with the screen panel itself and it is for the bin.

I was really keen on the new LG model. I was not impressed with their old models having compared them with the Sammy in a number of locations (AMC cinemas / Curries etc).

However their new set seems to have good write ups, Decent Contrast of apparently 1000 on the consumer model (Brightness 750) and is proposed to be the best budget model available at the moment.

Shock. He refused to be drawn to comment much on the new LG. He said he has been "Exceptionally disappointed" with both the build and picture quality of the LG panels including the new screen.

His closing comment was "I can’t really discuss it but put it this way I would rather have a CRT set than an LG".

Oh dear. Now I know a few people on this board have these sets so for god’s sake get you opinions down quick. I am going down to RS at lunch with my mate who has a 42" Panny armed with a load of Dvds to demo this set properly in their viewing room (I always judge for myself whatever people say).

LG owners input is must appreciated as I thought this set would be an option or should I just blow the budget and get the Tosh?
    I thought I knew my stuff (to an extent) but have a crisis of confidence now having talked to this guy !

6. Hurricane59

Hurricane59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    We viewed both the sammy and the LG at Rs last week and the LG blew the sammy away on all accounts (even the missus liked the aesthetics of the LG compared to the Sammy!!!) now you have me worried but please keep me up to date on your trip to RS at Lunch (my nearest Rs is 45 mins away and although my own boss i cant justify a 2 hr lunchbreak!!!!!). Also i dont need to rush into this purchase at the moment as the builders are in and they dont seem to be in much of a hurry to finish the front Room!!!!!

7. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I haven't seen the LG 17 yet, but to these eyes the 14 was considerably better than the Sammy in looks and picture quality. The Sammy had really poor black levels and was never looked all that bright, whereas the LG had quite vivid colours and decent blacks. No doubt this newer LG is even better.

8. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Please please please keep posting nice things about the LG esp the 14.

I signed up for one on Sunday, and the last thing I want to hear is bad news!:confused:

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes keep it coming especially on the new 17 model. I must be totally honest here. I compared the Samsung with the LG 14 very carefully in a couple of places and with different sources (Sky / DVD) I have to say I prefered the Samsung and its specs are certainly superior to the 14. Looked like alot of artifacting on the LG 14 and quite dull even on hifgh quality CGI stuff like Ice Age. They have one over the road from where I work in Comet and I must say it does not look good. Sorry I am getting rid of the Samsung and I still feel it is a much better set than the LG 14.

However the Samsung is no longer an option having had two faulty ones I will not risk another although my mate who has the Panny 42" likes the Samsung and has urged me to try another.

Its really down to the Tosh or the LG 17 now. I will demo the LG 17 at lunch and let you know what I think, I have a good range of Dvds to put it through its paces (Blade Runner for the darks, Lord of the Rings for Naturals, Private Ryan for the Gritty effects etc...)

I would like as much honest opinions from people owning the LG 17 and New Tosh as possible. I have to say at this moment in time I am inclined to blow the budget and go for the Tosh although I am sure this set will be available for substantially less 6 months down the line.

As always AV forum members posts are very useful and welcome.

10. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hey Marts, don't worry. You're going to be blown away when you get your plasma. I saw the 14 again yesterday in Miller Bros, playing Spiderman and the picture quality was very impressive to say the least. I'm still swithering on whether to buy a plasma or CRT but, if everything had gone to plan, I would already be a proud owner of the 14 with stand, tuner box and speakers, all for only £2573. Unfortunatley QED let me down on the day of delivery when they informed me that they had no tuner box to complete the order and to this day I'm still stuck with my 10 year old 28" tosh 4:3 with it's rapidly fading picture.

Since then I've seen the pio mxe and I was hugley impressed. I just can't now make up my mind whether to blow £3.6k on a pio, £2.5k on the LG 17 (without stand and tuner) or £1.3k on a Tosh 36" CRT. It's all doing my head in big time.

11. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks bobones for the words of encouragement.
    I played my r1 LotR in store before deciding to buy, and the screen (LG14) was beoootiful. Delivery in 1 week only, too.

Harrisuk's post in every single LG thread is really depressing me.

12. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the 17 for around 3 weeks now (from RS) and am more than pleased with it! Picture quality is superb, build quality is superb and it is so easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sorry Marts62. Its down to personal opinion. IF you are happy with it good for you. But I think It is always worth getting the opinion of people in the know (Providing it is unbiased). I dont want to put my head in the sand, if I am spending £2000 - £3000
    on a TV it must be right.

In fairness the LG 14 in Comet is probably not properly setup I suppose I should check and see if they are using the component inputs I guess not.

Personally If I go the LG route it would be the 17 as it seems to have far better specs that the 14 in terms of Brightness and contrast for the extra few hundred quid. What do I know though that is why I am assking advice.

I have posted on all the LG & Sammy threads I have found as :

(A) I am hoping for some advice from people more knowledgable than me.

(B) Time is a factor I want this sorting ASAP I have had enough messing about with two faulty screens already.

My apologies if I have upset anyone.

14. Hurricane59

Hurricane59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MontyUk
    Anychance you can give me a brief rundown on the difference between NTSC and PAl, I really know Sweet Fa on the subject!!!!

15. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Honestly harrisuk, no need to apologise. It's nothing personal, just bad timing... for me.

16. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no expert either, but basically Region 1 DVD's (eg from America / Canada) are NTSC format (480 vertical lines, hence 480i/480p), whilst Region 2/4 DVD's (eg from UK / Australia) are PAL format (625 vertical lines, 576 visible, 576p ??).

Sorry if the above isn't quite right, it's my best guess !!

17. Hurricane59

Hurricane59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Monty that makes things a bit clearer.

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Right back from RS demo session on:

LG 17 (£2499)

New Tosh (Latest model at £2999 meant to be same at latest Panny?)

They also had my soon to be perished Samsung setup opposite the LG in the main store. This one was like my first no flicker evident on screen, however setup with svideo so looked poor in comparison to mine at home. Shows what a huge difference RGB scart makes. The Tosh as you would expect was setup in the Viewing room, ambient lighting etc.

The LG was setup with their Limit Progressive Scan DVD player via component. Tosh Was connected to descent looking Pioneer DVD (Initially to Svideo it looked absolutely terrible during viewing so soon made them hook it up using component to the limit)

I didn’t really look at the Sammy as I have decided to get rid after having two faulty ones. However having seen it running in their shop as well as my house and recently viewed the LG 14 I still believe it is a better panel than the LG 14. Just my opinion but I am standing by it.

Dvds used for demo

Lotr special edition (lights and greens)

Blade Runner (For Darks)

Also had Saving Private Ryan and Xfiles with me, unfortunately time constraints meant I only used Lotr and Blade Runner but enough they’re to get a good opinion.

First the astetics. The LG. I must say as with the 14 I like the Aluminium faced Lgs. Easily the best looking panel I have seen in terms of looks. Don’t care what anyone says this is important and must be considered, well for me it is I have to get wife on board to get it up on our wall! All down to opinion but the LG certainly looks the part.

It is also exactly the same height as the Samsung and uses the same universal tilting wall bracket I already have mounted so early points to the LG. One point I would make. They mentioned that you have to fit your own “AV card” to the LG. Sounds a fiddle and can effect quality if not done properly apparently. Is this the case (Both do you have to fit it, is it difficult and can it damage the set if done incorrectly ?)

The Tosh. Horror story as far as the looks go. There is ugly and then there is the Tosh in Silver or should I say monitor beige? Tosh are normally beautiful beautiful things. This Tosh was new out of the box and still looked like a pig (They were just finishing mounting it when I got there) Sorry don’t want to upset Tosh silver owners but it didn’t look great as a piece of furniture in my opinion. But we aren’t buying them for that so not to worry.

Viewing. I must say from the start the LG was at a disadvantage. Hung up in the middle of their show room under powerful fluorescent lighting, hooked up to a limit DVD player all be it progressive scan that is not thought to be much cop.

It looked surprisingly good. I was impressed at the Dark quality (little gradation effect certainly less than my Sammy) and saw little or no solarisation on the opening sequence on Blade Runner (The bit with what looks like oil field fires) Similarly on Lotr the dark beginning sequence with the first war against Orcs looked extremely impressive. The bit with the flames and the ring spinning and glowing blew me away. Also looked breath taking on the shire sequences at the beginning but all Plasma seems to do very well with greens and blues. I was soon convinced that the extra contrast and Brightness on this screen over the Sammy was a significant improvement and well worth the extra £500. Points against. Spotted one dead pixel on the Blue DVD player boot screen on the LG (Surely blue screens is out with Plasmas has shortens life greatly?)

Now the Tosh. I must say the Tosh was initially set up poorly. Anyone using Svideo to connect a DVD player to a Plasma screen should be put out of their misery, it is that bad. Talk about VHS vision even on a £3000 screen with a £500 DVD player! I could not believe how bad it looked.

I told the advisor to get it plugged in using component on the limit prog scan DVD. Much better. I must say as with my friends Panny the darks are impressive, blacks are black and little solarisation. But I must say this Tosh screen definitely did not look as good as my friend Panny.

Definitely. The screen looked a little dark, perhaps too dark. I tried playing with the default picture settings but with little time I could not really get to the bottom of it before leaving there so I will give benefit of the doubt.

I must say I was expecting a bit more from the Tosh it was a good screen but there just didn’t seem that much between that and the new LG. It is a shame they don’t have it hooked up to NTL. I would really like to see one with footy or news. Anyone who has these sets please honest opinions on what they are like for TV viewing as this was the biggest flaw with the Sammy although I still thought it was good quality.

It didn’t help that the two advisors there (Admittedly not the most knowledgeable I have talked too at RS) were going on and on about how they thought the LG was just as good and how they didn’t think it was worth the extra £500 for the Tosh (I had told them it was an exchange therefore no business for their store and little interest apart from retaining my business you would have thought).

They confirmed that this Lg was the consumer model with contrast 100 and brightness 750. Didn’t really trust them though. If someone could confirm that the Lg they are selling is the consumer model with these specs it would be appreciated.

So it is really down to this

LG - Good asthetics, picture quality superior to my Sammy without a doubt, 2-year onsite warranty (4 with extended RS warranty). £500 less than Tosh. Downsides – One dead “Live” pixel on demo, bad press from distributor engineer. They mentioned that you have to fit your own “AV card” sounds a fiddle and can effect quality if not done properly apparently.

Tosh - Good picture quality but not that good, still not perfect and did not seem as good as panny.
    No looker. £500 more. Only 1 year RTB base warranty with RS (Confirmed with Distributor) or three years with Rs extended warranty.

Only thing that concerns me with the LG is that my neither of the Sammy had any dead pixels. What are the other group member’s opinions on the build quality of the Lg?

I have to say at £500 less I have pretty much decided to go for the LG unless someone can come up with a convincing reason not too. Can anyone confirm it is in fact the consumer model with 100 contrast and 750 brightness? What are both sets like for TV viewing? Is it a fiddle to fit the LG av card?

I am going to ring up RS mail order tonight to give them my decision so answers on a post card please.

19. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm, BUT IT IS THE PANNY !!! this isn't some strange rumour spread about by people on this forum . . . they really are EXACTLY the same product with a different badge on the front. Any 'differences' you are seeing are ambient/setup/etc etc . . the Toshiba panel is a Panasonic 5 Series with a different name and a RTB Toshiba warranty.

20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I believe you. Everyone is saying the same. I dont know that much about these things. It must be that he has set his up properly but his looks considerably better than the one I saw today. Didnt help that I saw it through an svideo cable initially. I cant explain how bad it looked. I told the guy setting it up that no one would buy that over the LG if the continued demoing it using svideo VHS vision. He agreed.

The fact that you only get an RTB warranty is also putting me off big time. The engineer I spoke to mentioned this as well.

What would happen to me outside 30 days ? I have had two faulty sets how long would it be away ? I dont think sonot for £3000.

I think what I am really saying is comparing this screen with the LG 17 I am struggling to go for the Tosh bearing in mind it is £500 more and not the nicest looking screen I have seen to put it bluntly. Would look MUCH better in black I am sure. The picture quality is better but not 20% better in my opinion or anywhere near. There is also the issue that I dont think it will fit my current bracket and I dont fancy boring another 8 3 inch holes in brick to remount.

Unless people come back and say the LG 17 it toally useless for TV or there are build quality / dead pixel issues with this screen.

Disappointing number of posts from Lg owners in general I must say so far. Alot more people coming out for the Tosh.

21. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    harrisuk i could email you some pics of my tosh if you like using ntl and dvd , i also think there is a world of differance between viewing in shop and home,
    your freinds panny proberly looks much better because its in home

22. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes please that would be a real help. Much appreciated

23. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pm me email addy then

24. Mr Rob T

Mr Rob T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    fitting the AV card to the LG is a 2 min job. Undo 2 srews from a blanking plate, push the card fully into the connector, put the 2 screws back in.... Its as easy as that honest !

25. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree on the ease of fitting the av card to the LG - it is a 2 minute job and you would have to try really hard to do it wrong!

I use the LG to watch TV via Sky digital (composite) and find that for most channels (BBCx, ITVx, Sci Fi etc.) picutre quality is OK (not as good as DVD via component obviously). Annoyingly, some of the Sky movie channels are not as good - poor skin tones and solarization - I am guessing this is down to the quality of the transmitted signal? Any other views on this appreciated

26. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had my lg 14 for over a month now, I can honestly say that for the money I could not have got a better plasma. Thats not to say the lg is without its limitations, however I have worked my way around these with various options (generally throwing cash at the issues!)

Originally I had hooked up Sky Digital using a bog standard scart and it was poor, so got myself a decent scart and there was a definite improvement (not huge, but noticable!). The problem with Sky, and it has been well documented in this forum, is that the picure quality varies wildly. Sometimes you would swear it was DVD/Component Quality, then other times the same channel can look like an old VHS tape that has gathered dust in the loft then played through your 12 year old Amstrad VHS player!!
    I have also found that watching Sky on any of the default picture settings i.e. Dynamic, Standard or Mild ain't great, but a bit of adjusting (especially the Sharpness setting!) corrects this.

As for DVD's, I initially used the DVD player that was part of the Pioneer DCS-303 Surround Sound system, via both Composite Video and S-Video. It was very poor, especially dark scenes in any movie (most tested was Spiderman!!). I then tested out inputting from a laptop direct to the VGA port on the Tuner, using PowerDVD - it was awesome!! however not wanting to use a laptop every time I wanted to watch a DVD I got the Limit DVD Player. Using Interlaced Mode it was not much better than the Pioneer, but put it onto Progressive Mode (through the component slot on the Tuner Box!) and it was fantastic! Even though the LG only does NTSC Prog Scan, I have had great quality from using PAL Discs, which are then converted to NTSC PS and fed to the Plasma by the Limit....so stories of its Crap Build quality are true, but as long as you don't throw it around the room, the picture quality is top notch.

I can't really comment on comparisons with other Plasma's, as I didn't have time to go to shops and Demo them with decent inputs, I guess I just took a chance given the Price was so good from QED-uk at the time! I'm glad I did!

Just a little input which I hope is helpful,

Cheers

Gant.

27. Ally

Ally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have been researching plasma's on here for a while and find it all facinating although extremely confusing. However this forum is a great resource so thanks to all the contributors. I am not one of these people who analyses picture quality to the 'n'th degree so I have been considering a screen at the lower end of the market where I could afford to spend a bit more money updating my sound sytem. I have been reading the threads on the LG and Samsung plasma's with interest and so today I went for a look.

I went to see the LG 42mz17 model in RS. It was playing next to the Samsung and not surprisingly Monsters inc was in the DVD spinner. LG was linked up to component and the samsung was on composite both being fed from a Limit DVD (dont know what model) so I guess already the Samsung was at a disadvantage. However the LG I have to say looked pretty good. It exhibited far less solarisation and generally gave colours a more natural tone. I asked them to put on a non CG/cartoon disc and they played a bit of Charlies Angels for me! Again the LG was miles ahead of the Samsung to the point where I thought that there was no way I could live with the cheaper model. On the other hand The LG was pretty impressive although I would have liked to have seen a few darker scenes from something thile Lord of the Rings or Gladiator.

Anyway the long and the short of it is I am sorely tempted by the LG. I would however like to hear from anyone that has one and has it connected up to a NTL digital cable box as this is going to be about 80% of my viewing. One thing is for certain. There is no way I will buy another CRT - The physical size and aethetic of a plasma are worth a grand easily!

Cheers

28. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ally

In a very similar situation to me. Came to buy a new set upgrading from 32" Widescreen CRT of descent quality.

Where to go for circa £2500 ? 36" Tosh CRT £1600. Lovely set , great quality abosolutely HUGE amount of space taken up. Screen just not that much bigger than a 32" for me to justify upgrade. 42" Rear projection TV £1500 ? No way in the world I would buy one of these. Worst quallity I have ever seen in my life not practicle need complete darkness etc.... and even more huge waste of space.

Bought the Samsung from RS. Was more than happy with the quality which through RGB scart with descent cables is better than you might think and far better than people on this board give it credit.

Problem. Kept switching it self off a couple of time a night. RS were brilliant had a replacement within a week. Not happy with replacement sets picture quality. Unlike original panel weird flickering bands on screen anfter running for a while.

Answer. LG 17. RS brilliant again. No problem swaping it cant say how impressed with them I have been.

Not got it yet (hopefully this weekend) but carfully compared with LG 14 & Samsung I have already had before deciding to go this route above tosh 42" I also looked at. Could not justify the extra £500 having looked at it carefully.

In short LG 17 looked very good for the price. I have NTL and I must admit it looks quite good even on the Samsung.

I will let you know what the LG 17 is like with NTL when I get it (Fingers crossed this weekend). Unlike most people on here I will tell you that in terms of Quality Plasma is NOT in the same league as a quality CRT in my opinion. Even the best sets are perfect.

What you do get is a very big picture, a piece of art on your wall and significant saving in space over a big CRT set.

Looks maginficent on DVDs and Xbox.... No way back for me now.

29. Craig B

Craig B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please don't think that this is a valid comparison. I don't know whether the LG or Samsung has a better picture quality, however I do know that composite is absolute garbage.

I have a Pioneer and can switch between RGB(Similar quality to component) and composite by hitting a button. You would not believe the difference!

The difference is like night and day. If anybody demos screens please ensure that the source is the same and is connected in the same way. I would hate anybody to be misled by a shop with no idea on how to display a decent picture.