1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 42pz17 settings??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mo-S3, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Mo-S3

Mo-S3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, ive got an LG plasma model 17 and was wondering what settings the rest of you guys use on the picture menu. Im mostly watching SKY and most of the time the picture is fine, but every now and again certain pictures seem very dark. I dont particularly like having to contstantly fiddle with the picture settings.Id much rather leave it on a fixed setting and forget about it.
    Also is it really bad to have the contrast turned all the way up for a plasma ?? whilst the brightness is set much much lower .
    Thanks

2. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Since using the THX testcard on the Terminator 2 dvd, I haven't once had to diddle with the settings. Before that... every bloomin time!

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have played with my setting loads and have now got it looking really good on DVDs and NTL Digital.:smoke:

I can give you the setting from mine but doubt very much it will work as well on your setup. So many variables, cables, input source (Composite, SVHS) are you using av switching, are using scart conponent converter what type etc.......

Frustrating but better off using trial and error IMO.

One thing I will say. Mine seems to look best with the sharpness turned right down. I Have the Brightness set to 60% with looks great with maximum contrast.

As far as I am aware contrast does not have a massive effect on the life of the screen but brightness does which is why many people say to have you brightness down as much as you can stand.

As I said I have mine set to 60% and it looks excellent. I have found now I have got it looking good I dont have to play with the setting at all anymore.

Although NTL now looks great it is still very dependant on source quality. Crap in Crap out. Most channels look spectacular but ever so often you can tell when the broadcast quality is absolutely crap ie the war footage coming from Iraq and certain programs on Sky One. But these are also crap on CRT sets, just no where near as obvious as the screen is much smaller.