1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lg 42px5r!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Zeggi, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Hey!

anyone know anything about that machine?

its up on lgs site and i know that the big dif is the res its higher and it has xd2 and a bunch of other small none-important stuff "card-reader"

anyway, wonder if anyone know anything else like test compared to its old version P4? cause i was about to buy the P4 today and then he mentioned the p5 :rolleyes: and sure i was interested but now when i see the price difference, G!! :eek:
    is it worth the money? :confused:

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the price on this, and who's selling it?
    I want to buy the 50" version of this!

The 42PX5 will probably have identical PQ to the current HD RZ42PY10X, which I can tell you is many times better than the SD panel. It's not just a few more pixels, everything from contrast to colours to artefacts is transformed. The SD LG is one of the ropiest plasmas I've seen, the HD is one of the best.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    LG buy old Panasonic technology, I guess the HD ones are based on the processing in the PHD series, which is good even when we go back a generation or so. The thing that stops me from being more enthusiastic about LG is the poor after sales, the number of problem panels, and the model turnover. They may be improving things, but they delete models after only 3-4 months at the moment. That will be hell for spares if you should ever need any. There was a guy recently who was told his PX11 was too old to repair!!! It was replaced, as it was in warranty,but with a credit, not a PX11

4. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Lg uses at the moment Genesis Microchip's "Cortez" and "Hudson".
    There is nothing to do with the technology used by Panasonic.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2005/may/1140027.htm

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panel drivers, Stainway. What they do with the signal before it gets that far is their own affair. You seem to have as big a downer on Panasonic as I have on the unfortunate LG. I will say when they get their quality control sorted, and become less frantic, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously I tried everything to avoid an LG, but performance wins the day, especially for those of us who want an all-in-one 'telly'. People may snigger and ask why I couldn't afford a Panny or Pioneer, but switching the set on should wipe out their smiles...

There is more than a hint of the Panasonics in them, but with far, far superior video processing than a Viera, and a much brighter panel. True Panny black levels, no judder and a bright, clean picture - the LG is everything the new Pioneer's want to be...

7. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well the place im going to buy it from is technistore.se its in sweden, and he said that it should end up on thursday or friday if his unlucky with the transportation.

So you guys say that the px5 is much better than the 4? cause he said they are based on the same specs except for the higer res and all other stuff around it and sure the xd 2. but the modell is within the same range name. px3 px4 and now px5. or am i wrong?

8. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

well what ive read and heard is that they use their own **** and that also work togheter with philips. ive even got a pic saying so ;)

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/monitor/dell/2005fpw/dell_lg.jpg

a pictures says more than thousand words :D

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes indeed, all true, but their plasmas are essentially panasonic technology based. Not built by, or even connected in any way apart from the odd royalty on patents and designs.

10. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah well everyone is a whore now a days :D
    aslong as the customer wants and needs it

11. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    MAW, are you sure in what are you telling? First you speak about processing in the PHD series, then about panel drivers.......
    This talk about Panasonic tech.used by LG was back in the treads about PX11 and then you had no idea what does that mean.
    On 25.06.2004 you are posting: :oops: Panasonic 'technology’, that means what exactly? But the new Korean panels are a vast improvement over all previous, it's true. The Hyundai is similar and only £1800 inc. stand, speakers VAT etc. Reasonable contrast, but it doesn't have the edge that Panasonics have, whatever I mean by that. Panasonic owners will know.

About using of Plasma patents read here: http://www.azom.com/details.asp?newsID=2828

I never put in question Panasonic or other brand like you do -I just share my experience with LG and then only with the model I have or similar.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138556

12. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Zeggi,
    The PX5 is the replacement of the PY10. New xd2 engine and HDMI instead of DVI. So I guess it will be better.
    It is the same as the PX3-4 series over the PX11,but then HD.
    By the way you are Sweden? I think the 42PX4RV was the test winner in Hemmabio magazine in July.?

13. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah! k now i understand, then i guess my friend doesnt know that much of what plasma the px5 is replacing :p

anyway im going there tomorrow if its in to see the difference bettwen px4 and 5, hopefully the 5 looks better and i will also get a lower price than its normal.

14. paul071

paul071

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Guys, what are you talking about..? Panasonic technology in LG screens..? Who told you that...? The PX4R and PX5R series kits have completely new panels with a lot of re-worked or brand new electronics.. It is actually not a replacement of the PY series which also gets a follower called PY2R. These sets have been available in U.S. for weeks and are coming to Europe now!

I've seen them on the IFA exhibition in Berlin two weeks ago, I can say they look great (especially the new PY series) and have phantastic PQ - at least the demos shown there looked great!

Edit: I've just noticed that they're all listed on LGs uk-site...

15. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Paul ,
    You are right,
    When I said replacement-I mean in the mainstream production-the PX 3-4 will replace the PX 11 in the SD market and PX5 will replace PY10 in the HD sector

16. paul071

paul071

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    No, not really. I've got LG's plasma/lcd screens brochures for the model year 2005/2006. They offer the PX4 and PX5 series as replacement for nothing - they haven't had HD screens in that sector before - and the PY series is continued under the name PY2R...

17. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually i dont care in what line they run, whats imporant to me is that i make the right choice :) i was willing to buy the px4 but when he mentioned the px5 i was happy :D but as i said before, is the price really worth it its a diff of 900e :eek:

18. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  19. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well in short-term they dont complain that much on it, its most on the bad explained manuall, it has everything in it but they dont explain what the differences are when switching in the settings.

another con is that the switching bettwen sources takes very long time, thats seconds not mins :)

but compared to the other machines that where tested this one won..

they mention the panny PA50E about it being a medioker for the analog tv, if thats how you spell it BUT a direct rival to the px4 when it comes to dvd and digitaltv watching AND another big thing they mention the price it was @ 30 000sek and dropped to 20 000sek before a new number of the magazine came out :)

they mention mention some tips here and there about it not being the best machine if its HDMI connectors your out for, bascily if you want to push more of the hdmi look for another modell.. another thing thats disapoiting is that only 1 of the 3scarts is RGB they say :/

well overall its the testwinner and they recomend it since its also a resonable price for that kind of qual.

the diagram says following
    dvd/digital tv 9/10
    analog tv 8/10
    userfriendly 6/10
    connectors 7/10
    impression 8/10

total 38/50

+ good pic qual and rich contrast in all settings
    - slow source switching

reason why it got a 8 on analog is cause there are other machines that are more made for that kind of usage.

another - thing is that the speakers work for regular tv use BUT they sound a bit low/base, a bit high base which can make any male character sound like hes mumbling, "which is normaly what women do" :D

ANYWAY i hope that was what you wanted me to type :)
    im just happy if i get mine tomorrow err... today, its thursday 02:45am time for me to go to bed.NITE!

20. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Thanks Zeggi,
    Hope you get your plasma today and be happy with it as I am with mine:)

21. paul071

paul071

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Huch!? Stainway, have you already got one? I thought they are not yet available...

22. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Paul, no indeed there are not yet available in Holland, I 've got PX3RV a month ago and I am very happy (even being SD not HD)

23. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK! im a bit sad and happy, i went by they store today, to check px5 out,
    I called and got the following answere "they havent mounted it yet but come by within the hour and it should be up" :D

when i came by the store they already sold it :/ they didnt mount it since a customer had ordered one a long time ago. so i couldnt see it.
    Thats the sad part :(

the good thing is that i got a very good price for it 25 000sek, thats about 3 500 less than the retail price :D and mine should end up tomorrow or if im unlucky on monday, i bet on monday, i normaly dont have any luck :/

he said buy it cause i mean all tests say its as good as the px4, if not better.
    If im noy happy with it just come by and we will swap it..

its nice to have friends with tech shops ;)

ANYWAY, im waiting for my px5 BUT now i got to figure out how to get it home :confused:

24. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hope you have a big VOLVO:))
    Be careful, because plasma should be transported in stand position-is written on the box.

25. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my fathers got a old volvo 740 no its not a combi..

but ive got a peugeot boxer :) that will do it but its with my employe, so kinda difficult for me to use it...

il prolly borow a friends or something

26. paul071

paul071

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey,

@Zaggi: You got it for 25000 Sek, damn i cannot find the exchange rate, how much is that in EUROS.....

Thanx

27. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  28. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Zeggi,
    Have you got it yet?

29. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh sorry for not posting back on this thread / question.

i got a 42pv500 after alot of thinking, im really happy with it except for the badluck ive had, hdmi was not working properly.

30. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Failed at the last hurdle, eh :oops: