1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lg 42px5d

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by docnaz, Sep 24, 2005.

1. docnaz

docnaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been researching other options while waiting for Panasonic to supply I have been recommended the new LG 42PX5D by a local salesman who is selling it for £1450-00. The spec seems equivalent to a decent HD ready 42" plasma and the price is approx £1000-00 cheaper then the JL price for the Panny 42PV500PED.
    Does anyone have any knowledge or views about this plasma and / or the comparison. Thank you.

2. deltatango301

deltatango301
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Looked at the LG Samsung Panny and others I was thinking could get away
    with say £1200/1400 not HD it looked OK but when I got my Pioneer 43"
    the installers who put Plasma's in all day all week etc I told them I looked at the LG
    they said glad you did not buy one they rated them very low for picture
    qauety I know what the problem is could be money but if you can increase
    your budget to buy a Pioneer you will wonder why you ever looked at anything else........

BTW Pioneer make all there own screens and supply most of the others
    do you think they keep the good ones for themselves I know I am singing
    the pioneer song but will you be singing the LG song ???

I have not had it a week yet but I cannot wait to swtich it on sometimes
    take a look here and change your mind

http://www.deltatango.freeserve.co.uk/pioneer.jpg

Terry

3. docnaz

docnaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for that. Will definitely check the PQ against the panny very carefully

4. Zeggi

Zeggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    um according to what ive seen, i cant tell you that the lg px4 AND 5 are great machines.. spec for that kinda of price. i think that the pioneer and panny according to the specs the px5 have they aint worth the money, they simply dont deliver that little extra you want for thoose "little" extra money...

AND NO what im posting here has nothing to do with me getting my px5 tomorrow....

5. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zeggi - How was the LG Screen then. Am I right in thinking this is a new screen for the UK? Doesn't turn up many references in Google.

Anyone got a review or further details?
    Is it a real alternative to the unavailable PV500?
    Is is a bit classier in the looks department than the Hitachi 6600/7200/7500?

6. mister meaner

mister meaner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh - and who sells it and for how much?

7. docnaz

docnaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    As I started this thread, I have to confess that bought a Panny 42PE50 y'day for what I consider a fair price of £1700 dead with a cabinet stand and "free" DMRES10. Very pleased with PQ and the styling is truly awesome to keep wife happy too.

8. colindale

colindale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    42PX5D

It's the High Definition version of the 42PX4DV, which I possess and one I
    would not part with for anything in that price range, in fact I decided to go
    SD, because the current HD are not true high definition screens, I'll wait a year or two and get a genuine HD screen. ;)

9. thundercat

thundercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    We received our LG 42PX5D TV last thursday from John Lewis. It has already developed a fault within the first 2 hours. After tuning in the channels on the Analogue/Digital tuners. We noticed that changing from analogue to digital, the digital picture would no reappear. Even when we where changing channels on the digital reciever, say BBC1 to ITV the picture would not appear, but you can sound is fine. To get the picture to come up, we have to turn the TV off for 2 minutes before switching it back on. This is not ideal.

We originally though it was something to do with the signal, but the TV we had in place before was fine, even with a digital receiver attached to it. My partner has refused to watch it anymore and revert back to the 14inch TV we had before, the picture quality on that little thing is great.

Before you ask, the TV is placed in well ventilated space in the living room.

We have also found that menu system sometimes freezes and the screen goes green with artifacts as though the digital reciever is up the blick!!

I phone LG and explained the problem with them. They immediatly said there is a fault with the TV and asked us to get a replacement from JL. We are not happy. We are waiting till monday when the replacement TV is due to come.

Likewise the analogue signal is not great either. I went and bought a signal booster, but there was no change. We will wait until the replacement comes before making a decision on swapping it for a Panasonic.

I have an XBOX 360 linked to it, the picture is great.... shame about the digital reciever not being up to scratch.

Would like to know if anyone else has had the same problems as us and how they have resolved it.

10. MichielO

MichielO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thundercat, with posting the same story in four (!) different threads you made your point. You could have simply put a link to one thread instead. Besides, the fact that you have - unfortunately - a faulty plasma does not necessary say anything about the plasma in general. ;)
    I have had experiences in the past with faulty models from different manufacturers, even the more "high/medium-end". That just can happen with anybody and to anybody.
    Just tell us what the picture quality was when it did work fine, or tell us that when you have received your new plasma.

11. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    MichielO,
    A bit off topik,but there will be High Definition in Holland for the WK 2006 via the cabel:)) and most probably via sateliet:))
    It will be free service,but you need to buy a box for €300
    http://www.tweakers.net/nieuws/40325

12. MichielO

MichielO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I have read the good news! ;)
    However, there are still two major issues:
    1) The NOS did not know about this en they have the broadcastrights. So the cablecompanies still have to discuss with the NOS.
    2) Samsung has to do a hell of a job to have all those decoders ready in time. And history has learnt us that Samsung almost never can deliver (in time)... ;)

But we'll wait and see..... and keep our fingers crossed! :D

13. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I'm an Panny / Pioneer fan but must admit a sneaking respect for the LG, whether luck or what ever, it has always seemed to have a decent piccy in the unclibrated shops, like the idea of the 50 inch.....1366 x 768.One to not dismiss quickly....have a play, with a set up disc preferably.

14. derbederis

derbederis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pal...Isaw this tv
    To my great astonishment it is no good.....:rolleyes:
    I saw the Hitachi pd7200.... it's immensely better and very little price difference
    I ordered one today

15. MichielO

MichielO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So many persons, so many opinions... ;)

I think the LG looks fine...