LG 42PX5D Problems

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Aussiedude, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Aussiedude

Aussiedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gday from Australia.....

I received this afternoon my brand new LG 42PX5D plasma.

Initially I set the television up whilst just connected to my external antenna. On starting the television the unit carried out its automatic channel selection at which time it reached 100% and said that it was unable to detect any channels. Selecting the signal strength option in the menu, it showed 1 bar strength, which remained the same even if I disconnected the cable.

I know that the antenna is ok, because my previous Sony digital television works fine off the same antenna and lead and I am also able to get signal through my DVD recorder.

Additionally, I connected my DVD player via Component input 1. I connected Digital Audio Optical out on my dvd player to the Component 1 Optical in Connector on the back of the television. I received no audio. I subsequently also tried to connect the audio via the audio output and input jacks on the DVD player and the TV respectively still with no success.

To eliminate user error or cable issues, I then connected the DVD player up to the AV1 input on the television using the AV Connector leads (ie Red, White and Yellow), still with no sound.

In both circumstances I am receiving picture but no sound.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong, or in fact what I might be doing wrong. I am trying to setup my new baby (wife has given up and gone to bed to sleep). Needless to say that it is 1am and I cant reach the store that sold it to me till morning and I am so wanting to see what my new toy can do!

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions that you might have.....

2. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Hiya

1)As to your first question havent got my head round it yet:eek:

2) Have you set the tv speakers to on its in your sound set up

lets us know how u get on

regards

3. Aussiedude

Aussiedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gday and thank you for your fast reply.

Yeah, the speakers are selected on in the menu. I did go in and check that.....Also, the mute button is not selected.

Something else that I found strange, is that when I select the volume up or down, the indicator that appears on the screen does not change with each button push. Eg if I push vol up, and it was originally at 63 and I push the button 5 times....the display shows 63 and remains at 63 while I am pressing buttons. When the display disappears off the screen, and then I reselect the volume, it will reappear, but with the final vol that I set before, in this case 68. Does it do that on all LG's? I would have thought that that would have been a dynamic display.

Thanks again for your help.

4. Aussiedude

Aussiedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, just to add to the last post,

Also if I try and output the audio from the television (Optical to a Sony Amp), I get no output from the television either.

There must be something that I am missing - or perhaps just a faulty unit.

Thanks

5. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    No mine certainly does not do that you can see the vol increase as u press the volume button

i would try restting the display to the factory default its a setting in the menu and then take it out of dynamic mode and do another initial tuner scan on digital and analogue and try again

regards

6. clydethelab

clydethelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add to the advice already given, try using the controls on the set instead off using the remote.

7. Aussiedude

Aussiedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gday and thank you for all your ideas so far......

No, when I use the volume control on the television the volume level indicator also remains stationary. I have now also tried hooking up a Video and a PS2 to see if I get any audio and still none.

I have also obtained a new set of coax antenna cables to eliminate the cable as being the problem, but the set will still not tune.

I have contacted the store this morning and they will arrange to have a replacement unit delivered on Monday. Just a shame I dont get to use the TV properly on the weekend.

Having said that, at the moment, I just have my DVD recorder hooked up to the television and I am using that to tune analogue stations and I have the audio from the DVD player going into my AMP. So at least I have a bit of functionality, but I am missing the clarity of digital television, the online program and of course very keen to try out the HD side of things.

For what it is worth, the limited features that I have played with so far look brilliant on the television. Picture quality is a bit hard to tell on an analogue signal, although, I have noticed when watching television through the dvd tuner that every 60 seconds or so, the screen gives a noticeable jolt, almost as if it is having trouble keeping up the signal.

I will keep you up to date with the progress of my TV drama.....damn, this is worse than Home and Away :)

Thanks

8. Aussiedude

Aussiedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gday......

I received the new tv today and all of the problems that I listed before have resolved themselves. It seems like I was in the unenviable position of having a faulty unit.

The retailer was very good though and arranged a replacement for me straight away.

I love the HD. The picture and the sound is awesome....well worth the extra money if you can afford it.

All in all the tv seems to be brilliant. I now just have to mount it and finalise all the connections and resetup my amp and speakers and I will have an awesome little home theatre.

One thing that i did notice with the television, and I am not sure if this is the same with all of them, but every so often, it is like the TV loses one frame. This is particularly noticeable on motion shots and more pronounced when viewing Foxtel or watching something via the DVD recorder.

I have played with the screen saving functions etc and it still seems to occur. Is this normal with Plasma, or LG? Is there anything I can do to lessen the effects?

Thanks in advance and thanks for your help with the previous part of the question.

Kind regards

Aussiedude
    :thumbsup:

9. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
  10. Aussiedude

Aussiedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gday Stainway,

Thank you for your reply and your suggestions. I havent tried cinema mode on or off as yet, but I will try that tonight.

Comb filter? How can I adjust that? I have been through most of the settings, but havent found anything that appears to be related to that.

I have the $200 fuel voucher sitting on my table at home ready to go. After a few problems with the first television, I wanted to get it sorted first, but thank you for your reminder.

Kind regards

Aussiedude

11. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well on my LG there is an option to switch off XD engine and the 3d filter under NR, but try first the cinema mode.

12. Aussiedude

Aussiedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gday Stainway,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried turning the cinema mode on and off and it made a slight difference, but the jolting is still very noticeable.

I played with a whole gammet of settings, but still with no success.

I get the jolting in digital as well as analogue modes - particularly noticeable in analogue.

I spoke with LG who told me that it was caused by too strong a signal and to turn the booster off. They also told me that it was caused by digital broadcast. Needless to say that when I told them that it was worse in analogue than in digital and that I had tried turning the booster off already, they told me that I had a faulty set and had to get it replaced.....again.

I called the store back and they werent particularly happy about the fact that they had to deliver a new screen.

Has anyone else noticed this framing issue on the plasma?

Cheers

Aussiedude

13. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Aussie dude

You havent got it on orbiter mode in the ISM menu have u

Menu/Special/ISM method - should be set to normal

Just a thought

Cheers

14. uneekwahn

uneekwahn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Aussiedude,

I'm another Aussie who recently purchased a 42PX5D. Very nice panel :)

Definately sounds like the Orbiter mode to me, the way you've described it.

As kjt2004 said, check it out, set it to normal if it is orbiter and you should be sweet.

Enjoy !

15. Aussiedude

Aussiedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gday Guys,

Thank you for your reply and your suggestions.

I have checked the ISM mode and it is already in normal. That was one of the first things that I tried, thinking that it sounded almost like the problem that I was having....alas, no success.

I noticed today that when I was watching the Channel 7 HD demo, there were no jolts whatsoever. When watching analogue, SD or AV Input, there is noticeable jolting - Analogue and Foxtel being the worst.

I have a new unit arriving tomorrow and will see if I have the same issues again. The only information that LG tech support were able to give me was to ensure that the antenna booster was off as they believe that that can often cause an issue similar to what I have described.

I will let you know how I go. It is a beautiful television, and the sound through the AMP when watching HD is awesome. Just hope I can get the jolting issue sorted out as I want to get the television mounted on the wall.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Kind regards

Aussiedude

16. claphamman

claphamman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 42PX5D arrived this week from John Lewis. In digital mode its Freeview receiver has regular frame freezes and jolts. It is fine from a DVD source. I think its to do with the iDTV image processing in the digital tuner. Any observations?

Apart from that the picture is great.

17. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Claphamman

yes you are right the digital signal is either 0/1 ie on or off = jolting

however aussiedude is suffering jolting on analogue problems , not what u are suffering at all.

What sort of signal strength have you got ?, The digital signal input works best inbetween good/strong and without a signal booster

I used to have this cracking signal until i realised i had left the signal booster in line from my old 36"CRT TV

Now its much better removed:hiya:

18. Aussiedude

Aussiedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gday Guys......

Welcome to another addition of the LG saga....

Claphamman, I agree with kjt, LG told me that jolting when in HD mode can be caused by too strong a signal strength and the booster should be turned off. Try that and see how you go.

I am now onto my 3rd 42px5d.

The jolting is primarily in Analogue mode. The HD and SD picture is close to perfect now. In fact, we have an HD demo that plays here from time to time, goes for about 30 mins, and the screen didnt jolt once during the whole time. As soon as I changed to watch something in analogue, I get the jolts again.

I have a panasonic DVD recorder with internal hard drive. Last night when I was watching something I had taped on the hard drive, the plasma would jolt every 15 seconds.

I am still using the component connection to the plasma from the DVD recorder - and oribter mode is definately off.

I have tried cinema mode on and off too and makes no difference.

I am wondering whether this plasma has a problem with analogue signals. I might get LG out during the week to take a look at it. They told me that it was definately a fault, but after 3 units, I am now starting to wonder.

Im also in the saga of trying to hook up a pc to the plasma too....more dramas. I have started another thread on that one.

Hope you are all have a good weekend......

19. kjt2004

kjt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Aussie

Is this jolting happening on all inputs?

Im just asking cos i remember when i first set mine up i had some jolting on mine but i eventually traced it down to a dodgy scart connection

Dont ask me why or how this was occuring i just know i took all the connections out and started replacing them one by one, testing them one at a time as i reconnected them.

Ie
    DVD - via Digital cable , tested worked fine
    PVR - Scart , tested worked fine

And finally amp to DVD player

Oh and i actually replaced the scart connection with a fully wired better quality one.

Since doing that back in january i have had no problems whatsoever:D

regards

20. Aussiedude

Aussiedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gday Guys.....

Well after a long and complicated period I have finally sorted out the frame loss issues with my LG plasma.

As it turns out, there was an issue with one of the processors in the plasma (Apparently going to be an issue with most of the recently processed LG's) that required a software update.

Apparently LG were getting quite a few calls here in Australia about it and they have come up with the software update to repair the issue.

The LG support guys here were really good....came out at 9pm at night to fix the issue. Well done LG.

Now that the frame loss issue has been sorted, I now enjoy an exceptional quality television. I must say that the quality and the sound really amazes me. It actually exceeds my expectations.

All in all, now that the issue is sorted, I am quite the happy viewer!

Hope that this information might be able to assist anybody else that might be having the same issues.

Thanks to everyone for their input and their suggestions to try and solve the issue....I appreciate your time and comments!

The closing ceremony of the Commonwealth Games looks mighty fine on a 42" Plasma - just wish they had of left Casey and John Farnham out of it....well, that is what the mute button is for!

Aussiedude.

21. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Enjoy it:hiya: