Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

LG 42PX3RV Vs Techwood TWP4210

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by BliarOut, Jun 26, 2005.

1. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like I'm getting an LG 42PX3RV. This is a replacement for my failed Techwood TWP4210. Is the LG a better set? On paper it appears to be. One less scart, but I do get two RGB inputs as the LG has a component input which the Techwood lacked.

Now I know you probably all decry the Techwood but it had a darn good picture, apart from occasional solarization, mostly on Holby City for reasons unbeknown to myself.

I know the Techwood had an LG screen inside, but does it appear to be a better box?

I have £1600 to spend and it has to be at Currys. This looks like the best 42" set I can get.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.... Apart from get a Panasonic, it's not in budget ;)

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi
    Couldnt you stretch to £1760 (currys online) you could then check out the new hd samsung 40"plasma which should be a step up from the techwood and lg.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My toy budget is seriously depleted just lately..... I've spent more than I care to think of on Cyrus kit over the last couple of weeks..... And I still need to replace my car! It has to be a shop deal too, not a web special.

As long as the LG is a bit better than the Techwood then I'll be happy. I know LG is an unpopular brand around these parts, but to my eyes the picture was better than some of the more established brands. It has the connectivity I need (Component for DVD and RGB scart for NTL) and is bang on budget.

At the end of the day, I would rather watch the film than the quality of the TV ;)

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Sensible closing argument there. The price for the LG seems quite high, maybe have a look at the SD samsung, I think they have that in now. Well within budget, certainly better than techwood.

5. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Saw the LG next to a Panny PV500 today. The Panny had a slightly sharper picture and slightly better blacks but also has an irritating internal reflection about an inch back from the screen which is very visible with white text. Also the LG has a nicer bezel for me, tempted to go for that in preference to the new Samsung which also has the irritating internal reflection like the Panny.

A big plus for the LG is the DCDi logo, can't go wrong with Faroudja deinterlacing!

6. clayton

clayton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just thought i would let you know the LG 42PX3RV has been reduced to £1.499 @ currys

7. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And the Panasonic to £1635... Which I bought yesterday :)

8. clayton

clayton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    can i ask what made you go for the panasonic over the LG 42PX3RV, was it just the brand name, ive been looking @ the LG myself & found the picture quality to be almost as good as the more expensive panasonics ect.

9. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no problem with the LG, but I couldn't find one in a store locally to view. I had to purchase from Currys for reasons which I detailed on the "Currys make you laugh" thread and they had the Panasonic on display. I was happy with the picture and the connectivity options and I just felt more comfortable buying something I had actually seen with my own eyes.

Having said that, the best picture in store was an LG DLP set... Lovely, just too bulky for my room.

I know that's not a popular opinion on this forum, but if I didn't need to be able to wall mount I would have bought that set.

Have a look and make your own mind up. If you like the LG, get it and sod what anyone else thinks.

At the end of the day, how do we know how anyones elses eyes see things? One mans good picture is another mans poor picture :lesson:

10. PRITCH

PRITCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just got the same lg set for £1299 from john lewis with 5 years warranty.
    Why anyone would pay currys prices with one years warranty must be mad!

11. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must be mad then....... Or have had £1600 worth of Currys vouchers ;)

12. clayton

clayton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    My local currys does have both the LG & panasonic, i must say the panasonic does have a brighter picture, the only thing that puts me off is the shape of the plasma & does it lack the D-sub,HDMI connections of the LG?

Now ive seen the panasonic im not so sure on the LGs picture quality ive only got £1600 like yourself to spend so im going to take some more time before i make my decision, HD would be nice but im never going to have sky, im happy with freeview picture quality is the main thing im after so i'll keep looking.

ps pritch was that the LG 42PX3RV model you got as its not shown on john lewis website & did they price match for you thanks.

13. BliarOut

BliarOut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No DSub or HDMI on the Panasonic. It does have component and RGB scart, which was all I need. You can download the full specs from the panasonic website.