LG 42PX3RV Plasma

M

Mindvox

Hi folks,

I seen the LG 42PX3RV Plasma in Dixons the other day, priced at £1399. I asked for a DVD demo and while the player was hardly top of the range, the picture through a standard scart was impressive.

However, while not 100% HD Ready, the set does have an HDMI output which will come in handy for Xbox360 in December. Sadly, I've been told by a friend who says he "knows people" with Plasmas, that playing games on a Plasma is painful because the "screen can't keep up" or "refresh properly".

I would appreciate some further info on playing games on Plasma as I don't have the funds to go for a 42" LCD and the LG with it's HDMI and Component Out is an attractive prospect.

Are Plasma's useless at displaying games, or is this another "old wives tale" aimed at scaring people off Plasmas? For what it's worth, my mate owns a Samsung 42" LCD ... the set I'd love to go for but just cannot afford sadly.

Many thanks.

For the record, the Plasma would be displaying:

Denon DVD-2900
Sky Digital
Xbox
PlayStation2
Xbox360 (pre-ordered and paid for in full)

I'm completely new to Plasma so if anyone could explain how to get the best from my components on the LG mentioned, I would be more than grateful.

Although I'm no expert I can speak from experience and I can say that the LG Plasma I used to own was fantastic for playing games no lag/refresh problems what so ever. I regulary play around a friends house and his Xbox through component is superb even though it's only a cheep (<£1000) unbranded plasma. I now have a Sagam DLP screen and it too is fantastic for consoles and especially for PC games.

Cheers

SkUnK

Having xbox and LG PX3RV-PQ is superb- waiting for the x box 360-then it will be even better I guess:)

Just a side note, the 360 will use component outs, not HDMI. There are no plans to release a HDMI lead at present.

tjradiohead said:
Just a side note, the 360 will use component outs, not HDMI. There are no plans to release a HDMI lead at present.

How can that be right when J Allard has commented time and again, at e3, TGS, etc that 360 will "always be connected, always online, and always in High Def".
Is Component HD??? :confused: The HD thing is a big selling point of 360 and the 720/1080 outputs it supports, but I thought these kind of images came through the likes of DVI and HDMI connections.

Yep, component IS HD. You can even get HD with the current xbox, but very few games support it, and even fewer are worth having.

To be honest i doubt wether the xbox will ever have a HDMI connection because HDMI has built in copy protection, which the 360 doesnt currently support (apparently).

There will be also aftermarket cables to connect with VGA-maybe an option if your component input is already occupied with DVD.

they are already advertising the vga cables on play.com and amazon I noticed, to coincide with launch of 360

Yes and I think this is a nice option since most of the DVD players are using the component input and if you need to use HTPC you select most of the time the DVI (or HDMI on the LG),so the VGA is free and usable.

Well, after reading so many folk say good things about the set, I decided to go ahead an order one. It arrives on Monday, so I've taken the day off work for it arriving and to set it up properly.

Had a look at the XD engine demo on LG's site and I have to say the filters look impressive.

Mindvox said:
Hi folks,
For the record, the Plasma would be displaying:

Denon DVD-2900
Sky Digital
Xbox
PlayStation2
Xbox360 (pre-ordered and paid for in full)

I'm completely new to Plasma so if anyone could explain how to get the best from my components on the LG mentioned, I would be more than grateful.

I guess the way it will be -Denon DVD with a good quality component.
Sky box with scart to AV1 (is the only RGB).Later if you get Sky HD use HDMI.
current Xbox and PS2-I guess you are using scart for them?
Then probably it will be best to get a scart switch box, because the other 2 scarts on the LG are-AV2-composite and S-video and AV3 composite only.
Or later with x box 360 get a component switch box,so you can run DVD and x box (or maybe you will get the VGA cable)
Anyway the LGpx3rv has everything on board you could think of-so you will have plenty of choice.
Enjoy it! It's a great TV.

P.S. Get a good quality scart cable for the sky box if you don’t have already.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom