1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 42PX3RV Any good ????

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by gazzer100, Aug 20, 2005.

1. gazzer100

gazzer100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok
    can any 1 lmk if this is a nice set and mainly bad points please dont be too bad i got my heart set on at mo LG 42PX3RV

many regards

2. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So far no bad points for me-I have it now more then 100 hours and it is fantastic

3. Witton

Witton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one of these on Friday,unfortunally it had had fault straight out of the box,but don't let that put you off that can happen to every make(i'm unlucky like that) :suicide: .PQ on DVDs is great and thats hooked up via SVHS until I Component sorted out.I've got Sky via a ThorRGB scart and the little bit of football i've managed to catch looked very good,i'll know more about that after this afternoons 2 games.I'm still messing with my settings so i'm sure I can get it looking even better than it already does.Aside from the fault which is being looked at Tuesday,I'm very happy with PQ and can't knock it for the money. :D
    Stainway,any chance you could post you settings? you've got 85 hours more setting up on yours,so you could save me some time :smashin:

4. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi Witton,
    My settings are:
    For TV (I watch via sat. receiver with scart RGB) Contrast 60,(but I started with 50) Brightness 53, Colour 31 and Sharpness 30,My 3D filter is on 2 (I still don't see the difference and my MPEG filter is on 7-it helps sometimes if the signal is with noise),XDE engine is on.
    For DVD via component and Progressive scan my setting are:
    Contras 54, Britness 50, Colour 23 and Sharpness 50-I did use Lucas film optimization to set it up and for TV I used test screen on one of the channels.
    The orbitel is also on. I did also my speakers in user mode with bas at 95-it sounds more deep then the SRS or film mode.
    O yes and I use the Cinema Mode for TV it makes the picture more vivid.
    Hope this would help, but once again this is good for my eyes -however for DVD you can use one of the star wars DVD there is Lucas film optimization menu and you can play with it.

Hope this would help!

5. Witton

Witton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: Stainway,I'll try those with the football today.Have you been into the service menu? and if so what firmware version is your TV running,mine is Cortez v3.20 and Hudson v3.19,I only ask cos hopefully a quick firmware upgrade might solve my picture fault,like with the LG PX11s.

6. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Witton what for picture fault?No I have not been into service menu,because the TV is doing just fine for me.

7. gazzer100

gazzer100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. Witton

Witton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watched the 2 games on Sunday and half of the Carling Cup game last night and didn't notice any problems,apart from Skys poor bitrate,the picture looked as good as my old Pixelplus CRT.Thanks for the settings Stainway :smashin: I used yours as a starting point and after much messing around while the football was on I settled on these > Cont=62 ,Bri=47 ,Col=22 ,Sharp=55 ,XD=off ,Cinema=off,but I'm sure these won't be same in another weeks time :D

9. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Glad that the footy was looking good. I also discovered that using a hi-end scart cable from the sat. receiver makes a bit of improvment, but indeed if the program is with low bitrate-you can't do much about it. I can say that after almost 120 hours running the plasma is getting even better picture (or maybe I am getting use to it).

10. borut

borut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I placed an order for PX3RVA. Here in Slovenia costs 2100€.I will get it in a few days

I have a few questions about it:
    1.)I noticed somewhere that first 200hours is reccomended for plasmas to run special screen setings.Also for that model? Setting parameters?
    2.)I am reading everywhere that static pictures are not reccomended for plasma. How long can static picture be on screen without damage? 1minute, 1 hour,1 day?-....
    3.) I don't have 5.1 sound system or something similar, but i have quite good self powered 2.1 system. I am planning to connect on plasma VCR and Divx player (KISS) and occasionaly PC. So i wanna be able to hear all sounds through these speakers (tv, dvd/divx, PC) without switching cables etc. Is that possible?
    5.) I am also wondering what is best way to connect al these things to TV.Is that combination cool?:
    Kiss DP1000 with scart direct to plasma
    VCR with scart direct to plasma
    Computer to HDMI connector.
    Where to connect cable tv connector? (to vcr or direct to plasma) I would like to be able to record from Kiss to VHS and from antena signal also.

Or is maybe better way to connect cable tv conector to vhs, then connect with scart vhs and Kiss and finally connect vhs and plasma with scart?

11. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi Borut,
    I am not an expert, but will try to give you quick answers, just from my experience,
    1. Your first question-use low contrast-50-60, because the screen is coming in Dynamic mode and contrast is set on 100!
    2 your second question-avoid static pictures-for example menu on PS2 X box or PC use and set the plasma on ORBITER-you will see it when you get the screen-this will help you to prevent screen burns
    3. You will hear every sound from every input on the TV-no problem
    You forgot to put question 4:)
    About the connections-I would connect the KIss with component cable to the screen-you will need to buy it extra I guess-then the antena cable in the VCR-from the VCR coax to the Screen and scart from KIss to de VCR.
    If you connect the KISS player with scart make sure that is in SCART 1 or 3, because SCART 2 on the plasma is composite video and s-video only.
    Good luck!

P.S. €2100 is a bit expensive in Holland this model cost €1700

12. borut

borut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Only first 200 hours or permanently?

2. I imagine that ORBITEL is something in TV that moves picture? How much time with static picture isn't danger for screen?

3. Does PX3 has output for external speakers? Is option for choose which ones will work through menus or simply when connect external speakers mutes built-in ones?

4.)Sorry about 4 :)

I understood almost all about component connections, except few details. Why with coax from vcr to tv, why not with scart?
    Is picture with component cable (for kiss) much better than with scart? How component cable looks like? What is Scart2 usable for, then?

Yes, 2100€ is expensive, but i have some "connections" with right people and i'll also pay exactly 1700 ;) .

13. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Wow so many questions:)

I think the first 200 hours are critical then you can be almost sure it will not make you problems.
    The Orbitel moves the picture indeed and you don't see it when watching normal TV, no one can say exactly how long it will take before a static image to burn into the screen-I did for example almost 5 hours organizing my channels with my sat. receiver-so there was the menu of the receiver as a static picture-nothing happened to the screen, but I can imagine if you use PC and live it on open document or windows desktop for a few hours that it will get a problem-most of the time this is not real burn in after few hours normal viewing is back to normal-so do not be afraid that much about this.
    There is an audio output-you need to switch the speakers out from the menu and then you can use the volume control to adjust the level of the audio output.

About the cables-I said the coax to go in the VCR and then in the TV in order to make it possible to make records, but you should indeed connect the vcr to the TV also with a scart-in the scart2 for example-the scart 2 is good for VCR-it has composite and s-video input-the other two scarts are RGB .
    See the attachment for component cable-I think when watching DVD it will be better with component, because the KISS can also play in progressive scan.

And get a good quality cables-it makes real difference

Attached Files:

14. borut

borut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everything clear. Progresive scan is probably some of setings on plasma?

15. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Nope you have to enable it on your DVD player,but you need component cables first-check your manual as I don't have the Kiss player,but should be something like this:video outputs (YPbPr or RGB),component is maybe given as :YPbPr.

16. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The LG has built in Faroudja de-interlacing which may do a better job than the DVD player at creating 'progressive scan'. I've not got PAL progressive on my player and the TV does a good job IMHO at de-interlacing over RGB SCART. OTOH I've only just got the Plasma so haven't yet tried all the inputs to see which looks best to me.

17. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    True enough,but I have tried both-RGB and Component-got me the component with progressive enabled on my DVD player gives a bit better result,but maybe question of taste.

18. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    My new best settings are Cont=58,Bri=50,Col=27,Sharp=15 XD=on.
    With DVD via component and with progressive scan Cont=57,Bri=49,Col=23,Sharp=11,XD=on
    Both with 3d filter=off and MPEG filter=off,Colour tone=normal

19. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    OK I have a couple of tips:

Turn on the low power mode. This reduces the output of the panel so will lessen the chance of burn in and I don't need the extra brightness anyway. It may also lengthen the life of the panel as it's not being driven so hard.

The other is that the overlays (the menu, 'no signal' messages, etc.) are always at maximum contrast so it's very easy to burn them into the panel (especially the menu) :mad:

20. gazzer100

gazzer100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok
    Thanks for all the tips and ideas helps alot tv being del on thurday 9th got for £1224.99 in the end from dixons online and stand for £286 going with stand intill i change room about and put on wall hopefully sell stand for £150-180 in some months time
    tv=1499 in dixons store
    stand=350 in dixons store
    total £1850

got tv from dixons online for 1274.99 plus £50 discount so total £1224.99
    got the stand online from epiredirect for £286 del

so total saving off £300+

21. borut

borut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    should i worry about black at the top and bottom. A lot of movies here in Slovenia are played that way.On lower black line are usually subtitles.

22. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Don't worry about the black borders.

23. digitalfife

digitalfife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Stainway

Have been following the threads and am now looking forward to when my PX3RVA arrives.

Are the settings input dependant or do you have to change the settings every time you chage the input ??

Cheers

Mike

24. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Hi Mike,
    Every input has own settings,but when you set your settings for watching normal TV (eg.AV1 for digital box) and then set your settings for watching DVD (eg.Component) then you are ready.
    You don't have to change them every time you switch the input.And when you calibrate the plasma use the same light conditions as you normally watch the TV.
    Good luck and enjoy!

25. Tamd55

Tamd55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iam recieving my TV tommorow but I am wondering if I should leave turning on the unit for at least 48 hours so as to let the gases settle, and also because I do not think the shipping company will have had it in the upright position during it's transit from London to the north, I would be much obliged to any body giving me a few pointers on this matter.

Cheers

26. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The gasses do not need to settle. Another plasma urban myth. :rolleyes:

You should allow the TV to warm up to room temperature to avoid moisture from condensation but with the hot weather that shouldn't take too long, half an hour to an hour at most.
    The box comes with several warnings to only stand it 'This way up', the handles on the box and weight distribution make it obvious which side is the bottom so only an idiot would lay it down flat.
    Check the box for damage and sign for it as 'unchecked', in case there is any internal damage. Most carriers won't accept damages claims if the item has been signed for as arriving in good condition and is then found to be broken when opening the package.

27. bazlion

bazlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.
    Just a couple of points, I keep seeing the RVA/RV advertised on various websites shown having a Silver bezel and also a Black bezel, I have contacted LG and they say they only come in silver and the only difference between the two is the RV has dual tuners, and the RVA has only one, this is despite their website showing the RV with a Black bezel. I also note that some retailers are advertising the RVA but stating it has the dual tuners! What has everyone got? please Many thanks.

28. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I have PX3RV and it is with black bezel and dual tuner,the px3rva are with silver bezel only and single tuner.See the pics.

Attached Files:

29. bazlion

bazlion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hi.

That is exactly what I have seen, and is also on Lg website. I guess I will have to contact the retailer by e.mail to get a written confirmation that I will receive the RV and not the RVA, as some retailers are showing the RVA yet in the description it states 2 tuners which is clearly wrong.

30. digitalfife

digitalfife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I ordered the 3RVA from Digitaldirect 3 weeks ago and so far I'm still waiting. They are waiting for the pedastals to arrive prior to shipping them out. Saying they come from a 3rd party supplier ?????? yea right !

I hope the wait is worth it

Cheers

Mike