1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 42PX11-lip sync concerns-help a wannabe owner

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jeh, Mar 22, 2005.

1. jeh

jeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, happy LG-42px11 owners!

After reading the long threads about this model, i'm planning myself to buy one, but my mind is unsettled concerning some lip sync issues.

1. I assume i can extract audio from the internal tuner via scart, right? Is this in sync with the internal speakers, which are already delay compensated (so i read, in latest firmwares) ? Meaning, can i carry this signal to an A/V receiver without adding further delay?

2. If I buy a progressive scan DVD player, connected via DVI or component, will I be trouble free, since most DVD titles are already progressive (so no deinterlacing taking place/no delay)?

Help much appreciated!
    :lease:
    thnx in advance

Jeh

2. MJS

MJS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can extract audio from the internal tuner, use scart2 (for example) - I did. The audio delay is for the built-in speakers only. This makes sense because the audio output on the scart is for an AV connection such as a VCR or DVD recorder. You'd want the sound in sync with video if you were recording from the tuner. Now I've only suffered bad lip sync a couple of times over 2 months with this set, it's mostly a problem in the broadcast chain that's exacerbated by the de-interlacing technology in the plasma panel.

Using a progressive scan DVD player means that in theory the player has done the job of de-interlacing. Whether or not it introduces a delay or compensates with its audio I can't (yet) comment on. However it is worth it for picture quality as you're staying in the digital domain if you use DVI. Having tried this with my pc I can say it is much much better than the scart and component input with interlaced signals.
    Hope this helps. Mark.

3. jeh

jeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It helped - thanks a lot MJS.

seems like i have to buy a new A/V receiver with audio delay feature.
    thinking about the Marantz SR7500 - the only gripe being that the audio delay on this amp is global - not individual for each input. So, if the progressive DVD has no delay ( or already compensated? ) I'll be getting the lip sync problem the other way round - video ahead audio...

Anyone Knows for sure if most DVD titles are already Progressive, thus not needing deinterlacing, thus not having delay issues?
    This is pretty confusing stuff!!! :rotfl:
    Are there A/V systems on par with Marantz SR7500 with individual delays per input?

thanks

Jeh

4. MJS

MJS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interlace vs Progressive

By its very nature a PAL or NTSC video signal is interlaced. Now the source on the DVD may be tv or film originated. I could go-on for hours here but really don't want to. All you need to know is that a progressive PaL output has been manipulated by the DVD player to include more picture information per frame than was originally encoded. Where it gets the information from is the interesting bit as you can find the detail in adjacent video frames. This is why de-interlacing takes time.
    Have a look at http://www.100fps.com/

If you want to set a global delay time - and I don't mean speaker delays - that is someting different again, then use 60ms or more. Remember that your brain never hears things before it sees them, that's why lip-sync can look so unnatural.

5. jeh

jeh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a bunch MJS!!!!!

very informing!