1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG 42PX11 Are Blacks Black ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by anuvid, Jan 17, 2005.

1. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't afford Pannys etc, and for various reasons have been persuaded that the LG isn't a bad buy at £ 1449 from Comet online.

I read somewhere that several people have received LG 42PX11 labelled displays, varying software versions have provided variable real world results in terms of contrast ratio.

Is software user upgradeable ? And can LG 42PX11 owners comment on what's good or bad about this ?

2. sathelp

sathelp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They can only be as black as a pixel turned off, ie the screen colour itself.
    My LG does look dam black though against white.
    I would have a good read on all the PX11 threads, I did before I bought one. I am pleasently pleased with my screen and found that although I have a RGB to Component converter and also a Brightview line doubler, the pic from my Sky+ on scart one is pretty dam good.

3. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this. I realise they can only be as black as a pixel turned off. But I've heard of 'blocking' as found on rear projection TVs, whereby black scenes are sometimes played as blocks of green and various other colours.

What's a brightview line doubler our of interest ?

Can you tell I@m a newbie ? :)

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I have a PW6 and saw the PX11 the other day for the first time, I was really impressed, shame they don't offer it in black and with no speakers, I think they would sell far more if this was offered.
    The black levels were pretty good and couldn't see any difference compared to my panny, one thing I did notice though was the gradients between colours on dark scenes was more obvious, as if it doesn't have enough range on the greyscale.

But for the money it is very impressive.

5. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At last someone with a Panny who says the LG is ok for the money :) Thanks. Reading about solarisation on another thread so still a little worried.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Ah solarisation, that was the word I was looking for ;)

I thought it was very good, I would not swap my panny for it but it looked so much better than the Pioneer 435xde that was next to it, they were both running freeview via RGB (this looked better than the internal freeview built into the Pioneer) and they both had a dvd player hooked up by component but I couldn't see these running together as they didn't have two discs the same.
    I spent about 2 mins getting a nice image out of the PX11 that I would be happy with, and spent about 15 minutes with the Pioneer, but just couldn't get it looking right, blacks were ok, but there was losts of noise in the picture and when someone moved quickly it really smeared across the screen, also the colours looked very cartoon like and if you turned it right down so skin tones looked natural the pictiure looked a little dull. And you could see colour bleeding slightly when up close, my PW6 does not do this.
    I am sure that with more time the 435 could be alot better, I turned all the processing off and adjusted the colours slightly but probably missed something.
    It is a shame as I would have bought the Pioneer if I could of got a half decent image out of it as they were doing it for £2900 with stand and speakers which is pretty good anyway for an XDE and my mate could of got me another 10% discount and interest free.

The LG has a nice smooth picture and for the money I don't think you can go wrong, I definitely don't think anyone would be dissapointed.

7. sathelp

sathelp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Zinwell Brightview is an interlaced to progressive scan converter and scaler. It takes in Component, S-Video or Composite video from any interlaced source (normal pal or NTSC) and converts it to progressive scan video and can scale it from 480 to 1080i for output on component, VGA or DVI (newer version) output to the plasma. This gives rock solid video without that anoyining 50hz flicker on the PX11 I see out of the corner of my eye. It is a shame that they did not use 100hz like my old CRT as I do notice it now on the PX11.

Do a search on Zinwell within the AV forums and you will find loads of threads on it and other scalers.

8. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression that all LCD and Plasma technology worked at low refresh rates like 50/60Hz

9. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PX11 is a fantastic piece of kit especially now since the upgrade. The older model did show a lot of solarisation and banding but the newer 5000:1 contrast shows no solarisation and very very little banding (mainly seen in foggy pictures)
    buy one you cant go wrong :)

10. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok cheers. now arguing with Comet over why I have to post them the vouchers rather than dropping them off at the shop. If I post them and they're signed for I only have proof they reached the building (as an insurance company once pointed out) not that they reached the right desk.

11. andypo

andypo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Right here is my setup
    Lg 42px11 plasma
    panasonic dmr e-50 dvd recorder
    pinnacle show centre
    yanaha dsp-ax620
    pace sky box
    sony cd player
    xbox mod

plasma av1 audio out to amp
    av2 dvd recorder
    av3 pinnacle
    av4 amp
    av5 xbox

I got lip sync wioth sky so i put both video and sound through amp didnt adjust any settings on amp prob solved.
    As for adjusting service menu there is no need to u just need to play about with settings in menu. A good friend of mine has warned me that you can void your warranty i am on firmware 3.16.
    I am using monster cables with out the monster logo 20 quid each for scart and rgb they are bright blue i know they are the same as have had them stripped down and compared with comet monster. I regretably bought my lg from comet but got it for £1350 i played them at their own game told them cheaper at bennets and miller brothers try it they make about 800 quid on plasma they want your cash. Anyways if anyybody has probs i am more than happy to help out. PS where are the hex codes for AV1,av2,av3.av4 etc can someone post them again cheers

12. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm no technical expert, but do bear in mind that blacks and contrast are related, but different...and then I think you get into details like how you measure the contrast, greyscales and the such...

So a solid black may look impressive, but when everything in a dark scene is just as black, you might not make everything out...so dont think deep blacks mean great contrast

Anyway, I checked out the LG the other day - its nothing special, trust me. The blacks are pretty dark, but not black... The blackest blacks I've ever seen are based on the Samsung panel which I'm beginning to sound like a broken record over...check it out on a Philips 42PF9946 (or a Tiny if you dare!), in a normal lit room it looks as damn near black as you can get - makes a Panasonic Viera blacks look slightly greeny-grey in fact....

13. [Lostit]Bazza

[Lostit]Bazza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,

I am getting mine LG from Goerge Henry Lees, it is delivered on Friday.

Just to let you know I got it for £1599, which isnt the cheapest however, i do get the 5 year warranty for free, so if you were going to get one, i wouldnt look any further than Lees.

14. 5tanja

5tanja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Newbie here. Thanks to this forum I ordered the LG 42px11 from John Lewis for £1299 with 5 years free warranty. They did a price match with Beales. Their customer service was great, even agreed to deliver it before 8.15 AM next Wednesday.
    Would like to say a big thanks to all in this forum.

Regards

15. tabs

tabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    yes, same here, ive gone for the LG from john lewis's, for £1299 with a 5 year warranty, its gotta be a steal... "5 years i tells yer", ohhh momma

16. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    so the free 5 yr warranty from george henry lees is really £300 :)

17. tabs

tabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    its also a big relief knowing if it goes tits up, i have not gotta bother with hassle and grief from currys, comet, or the pits of them all dixons

18. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    What did you guys have to do to get that price from John Lewis with the 5 year warranty ? Just phone them up and ask them to price match ?

With the 5 year warranty this seems like a fantastic deal and 5 years hassle free (you would hope !).

19. tabs

tabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    just ring you local'ish branch of john lewis, they will price match anything thats legit, and there tv's come with a 5 year warranty as standard...pukka

20. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks tabs, I have spoken to others who have got the same deal so I will do that. May have a problem with getting it home as I have a small car and I would have to travel 1.5 hours to Bristol to my nearest JL but I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

The 5 year warranty has to worth a lot on its own so this seems a great deal.

21. tabs

tabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    free delivery is in with the price also mate..if you dont fancy the drive :thumbsup:

22. Daipac

Daipac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Oh, I didn't know that, cheers tabs. Will phone them tomorrow and see if there is a distance limit on deliveries but that would be great if I could get that too.

Fingers crossed !